Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

As in, the topic you submitted wasn't relevant to the workshop? Or you were using some weird undertones that offended the conversation?

No, I didn't use any weird undertones. I think he didn't find it scientific enough. 

I wrote my SOP with both LaTeX and word, and decided to submit the word version... All my Writing Samples, and my CV are LaTeX, though. I  tend to not use LaTeX for smaller documents anyway, so it made more sense, and made me feel more comfortable and less like I was trying to show off.

So I submitted a research paper to a workshop in which my POI was chair. Today, he let me know that they cannot accept because "it is not the kind of talk we are trying to foster." Of course, this is disappointing but I understand. My question is whether this is going to affect my PhD application? Did any one of you have a similar experience?

I don't think it will affect your application much, honestly.

No, I didn't use any weird undertones. I think he didn't find it scientific enough. 

Hard to say from the point of pure speculation. There's a chance your application will be consider 100% independent of this scenario. Just because the paper didn't fit this particular workshop, does not mean that the professor isn't interested in what you can produce as a student in the program.

I wrote my SOP with both LaTeX and word, and decided to submit the word version... All my Writing Samples, and my CV are LaTeX, though. I  tend to not use LaTeX for smaller documents anyway, so it made more sense, and made me feel more comfortable and less like I was trying to show off.

I wrote my SOP in LaTex, but left my CV and Writing Sample in Word. I asked my letter writer if it mattered and he said something along the lines of "No one is going to base an admissions decision on whether you use LaTex or Word. They are more interested in your potential ability to do research."

Edited by luckyducky

I wrote my SOP in LaTex, but left my CV and Writing Sample in Word. I asked my letter writer if it mattered and he said something along the lines of "No one is going to base an admissions decision on whether you use LaTex or Word. They are more interested in your potential ability to do research."

That's what I figured. I had my sample and CV in LaTeX anyway, so didn't wanna change it. I actually once got a bonus for using LaTeX, for one of my papers, though, for what it's worth!

I agree it will not matter much. I honestly think it is just cooler to do it in LaTex. If I was on an adcom, I would notice :)

I agree it will not matter much. I honestly think it is just cooler to do it in LaTex. If I was on an adcom, I would notice :)

I had everything in Word already, but I switched to LaTex for my SOP because it allowed me to either (1) be within the page limit or (2) possibly decrease attention to the fact that I went slightly over the word limit for some schools. 

Is it common to be writing these things in LaTeX? I honestly never even considered it. I would think that LaTeX would INCREASE the number of pages rather than keep one within the page limit! I'm not super pro with it though, so maybe there are some spacing tricks I don't know  :lol:

Is it common to be writing these things in LaTeX? I honestly never even considered it. I would think that LaTeX would INCREASE the number of pages rather than keep one within the page limit! I'm not super pro with it though, so maybe there are some spacing tricks I don't know  :lol:

There are more tricks in Word than in LaTex. Using the same font and spacing, I was able to fit more into LaTex than Word and it was more readable. 

*I am sure Professors can easily spot these type of things, so it doesn't really matter. It just made me feel better knowing that I was within the page limit. However, for some schools, I totally disregarded the word limit. I just don't get what adcoms get out of a 500 word SOP. 

Edited by luckyducky

To everyone that shared such great advice with me yesterday or just expressed their joint concern regarding the often confusing official/unofficial transcript upload issues, I wanted to again thank you.

So here is the news. Despite what I considered to be a curt email from the school suggesting my application could not be reviewed, they have agreed to use my "unofficial" transcripts during the review process. Yay. Short and simple. Luckily I overnighted my official transcripts to them yesterday so they should receive the real deal before the applications are reviewed anyway.

Really... everyone... I was close to losing it yesterday and this forum came to the rescue. So, truly, thank you. Now to dig out from what looks like it will be a foot of snow. Shit.  :D

Ditto for me.

On that note, I have been feeling an intense level of "Impostor Syndrome" lately. I cannot shake the feeling that I am lacking in multiple areas, whether it be my my level of cultural sophistication, my skill set, or my intelligence. Even if I enter a Ph.D. program, these fears make me feel as if I won't last. I am also afraid that as an African-American I may face some weird extra-scrutiny which will reveal these perceived shortcomings... Does anyone have these doubts/feelings as well? If so, how are you coping with them?

Hey my friend, what are you talking about? Didn't you already get accepted to a great program!!? I would KILL (well probably not literally) to get into any program (doesn't mean I don't have my preferences). If UIUC thinks you have what it takes, for sure you are no impostor on this forum.

We all have our area of expertise. Just embrace yours and keep a keen ear for new, critical discussions you are exposed to. No one is expected to enter into a PhD program ready to teach and research flawlessly (or why would we go). It is about potential. I think your early result already speaks for itself.

Good luck. Stay strong. Be happy. I'm super jealous (but happy) about your early admit. You can relax now. Really. 

On that note, I have been feeling an intense level of "Impostor Syndrome" lately. I cannot shake the feeling that I am lacking in multiple areas, whether it be my my level of cultural sophistication, my skill set, or my intelligence. Even if I enter a Ph.D. program, these fears make me feel as if I won't last. I am also afraid that as an African-American I may face some weird extra-scrutiny which will reveal these perceived shortcomings... Does anyone have these doubts/feelings as well? If so, how are you coping with them?

I wouldn't be surprised if all of us are experiencing this in some way or another. I know I am. For the record, you were the one who made a joke about the wine being too high brow or something, yes? This sort of "cultural sophistication" is nothing more than elitism if it's taken seriously as a measure of success. I imagine you have some cultural experiences specifically because you haven't had the same opportunities, because you're African American, etc. that make you more qualified than a lot of us on these boards.

I've read that African Americans (and women) tend to feel this extra scrutiny - a mix of setting the ground work for the next generation and doubts about capabilities because of "affirmative action" type measures. Well, I can't really speak from a first person perspective on either account, being neither black nor a woman, but I think that both are very real concerns, but also too much to ask or expect of yourself. Any special measures taken to increase representation of minorities or women, for example, do not minimize in any way whatsoever your capabilities, qualities or contributions to society and your specific field of study. They are designed in recognition of institutional discrimination that naturally favors the last generation of elites, not in recognition of bringing people with lower capacity for success into the mainstream. 

That all said, I spent all last night feeling completely inadequate. As though all of my words are part of some script I've written and I'm the lead character. So, the short answer would be: you're in good company. :)

Hey my friend, what are you talking about? Didn't you already get accepted to a great program!!? I would KILL (well probably not literally) to get into any program (doesn't mean I don't have my preferences). If UIUC thinks you have what it takes, for sure you are no impostor on this forum.

We all have our area of expertise. Just embrace yours and keep a keen ear for new, critical discussions you are exposed to. No one is expected to enter into a PhD program ready to teach and research flawlessly (or why would we go). It is about potential. I think your early result already speaks for itself.

Good luck. Stay strong. Be happy. I'm super jealous (but happy) about your early admit. You can relax now. Really. 

Okay, I like this answer better.

I got a snow day from work. Yay! Though I still have to get on a lot of conference calls through the day. Boo! And it also gives me some unscheduled time to get anxious about the eight billion schools I'm waiting on. Eek!!

Lots of feelings.

I did not use LaTex for any supplementary materials. The only situation in which it even would have been appropriate would be for use in a writing sample that contains formal equations. Although my research thesis contained equations and graphs, it is approximately 3 years old, and was already formatted using Word. Thus, I left it alone and didn't think twice about it.

Hopefully luckyducky's letter writer is correct, and I did not just "shoot myself in the foot."

THINK POSITIVELY.  You do not get admitted into an institution so early as an impostor.  What schools are you applying to?

Again, congratulations and stay POSITIVE!

I did not use LaTex for any supplementary materials. The only situation in which it even would have been appropriate would be for use in a writing sample that contains formal equations. Although my research thesis contained equations and graphs, it is approximately 3 years old, and was already formatted using Word. Thus, I left it alone and didn't think twice about it.

Hopefully luckyducky's letter writer is correct, and I did not just "shoot myself in the foot."

Nah. From my experiences, PhD cohorts are fully of a bunch of random weirdos (like us!).

I'm actually worried about lack of diversity in most these programs and hope mine (if I get in!) ends up being diverse. I'm currently live in DC and am bummed about likely having to move to a less diverse city. 

To everyone that shared such great advice with me yesterday or just expressed their joint concern regarding the often confusing official/unofficial transcript upload issues, I wanted to again thank you.

So here is the news. Despite what I considered to be a curt email from the school suggesting my application could not be reviewed, they have agreed to use my "unofficial" transcripts during the review process. Yay. Short and simple. Luckily I overnighted my official transcripts to them yesterday so they should receive the real deal before the applications are reviewed anyway.

Really... everyone... I was close to losing it yesterday and this forum came to the rescue. So, truly, thank you. Now to dig out from what looks like it will be a foot of snow. Shit.  :D

I've been waiting for this good news.  I knew it would come! I'm happy for you.

I just got a phone call from an "unknown number", I quickly answered it, but after four seconds of complete silence, the call dropped. I am sure it is one of those pesky marketing firms, but boy it got me nervous. Especially as I took one last sniffle before answering it to ensure I was in the best form (I have a cold).

No one has called back either.  B)

Edited by o.j.

I just got a phone call from an "unknown number", I quickly answered it, but after four seconds of complete silence, the call dropped. I am sure it is one of those pesky marketing firms, but boy it got me nervous. Especially as I took one last sniffle before answering it to ensure I was in the best form (I have a cold).

No one has called back either.  B)

I feel you. I got one today that turned out to be an automated call from CVS....I'm starting to be seriously concerned about my irrational admissions thoughts haha.

Really glad this worked out for you in the end!

I also had a terrifying moment when I realized that my school had sent me an official transcript- which I uploaded for my apps- that was missing two courses (not even sure how that was possible). Thankfully, like with your experience it seems like their default is to send an email saying 'sorry, it's too late, try again next time', and then accept new transcripts without much fuss after being recontacted.

Edited by NYCBluenose

I'm surprised Duke is already releasing admission results....it's just Jan 21st!!!

Same here. Personally, I am not really hopeful but would be interesting to see who got in and with what credentials. Of course, I am happy for those who got in(will get in).