Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

It's between x2 and x1.5 of the number of grants available, but as you can see from the stats page the number of available grants fluctuates a tiny bit so it wouldn't be exactly 30 every year.

So, the number of grants range from 3 to 7. I've heard that there are only 3 Fulbrighters in Singapore this year. Hopefully, there's more funding for the 2014 - 2015 cycle...

My FPA said (vaguely) that we'll find out "by the end of January".  :unsure:

This is how I feel...(substitute Oompa Loompa for Fulbright decision)...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!  :lol: 

Hey everyone,

I'm new to Grad Café and joined after doing some research on the Fulbright and stumbling across these forums. I'll be applying for a Fulbright during the next cycle, so I've been reviewing a lot of these posts and looking for any (very early) advice and information. I'll probably start a 2015-2016 forum at some point in the next couple of months, but, in the meantime, I'd love to follow the progress through this cycle of someone whose story is similar to mine (already in the working world), or who's applying for a Full Research grant in Spain.  I've been in the working world for a couple of years (I'm a practicing attorney) and I want to apply for a Fulbright Full Research Student grant in Spain.  Is anyone here similarly in the working world, or, better yet, an attorney who's applied for the grant? If so, are you applying at-large or did you reconnect with either your undergraduate or graduate institution? Also, has anyone here had to deal with the sticky situation of getting recommendations while not tipping off your current place of employment that you are considering a "sabbatical," so to speak?  

Anyway, sorry to intrude on your thread! I know this is a stressful week for you guys, but take heart in the fact that, at least from what I can tell, the acceptance percentage overall seems to be going up each year (in part, because the number of applications are going down!). :)

Hello I think you might qualify in the Scholar Research Program for Fulbright depending on how many years you have been working. Here is some more information on the differences:

Opportunities for Scholars, Artists and Professionals (Scholar Fulbright Program)

The Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program offers opportunities for American scholars, artists and professionals to conduct research, lecture, and/or consult with other scholars and institutions abroad.

The Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program offers opportunities for foreign scholars, artists and professionals to conduct post-doctoral research and/or lecture in the U.S.

- See more at: http://eca.state.gov/fulbright/fulbright-programs/program-summaries/scholar-program#sthash.UXgRsz3T.dpuf

Opportunities for U.S. Students, Artists and Young Professionals

Fulbright U.S. Student Program

More than 1,500 Americans receive grants to study, research or teach abroad with full or partial support from the Fulbright Program.

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers fellowships for U.S. graduating college seniors, graduate students, young professionals and artists to study, conduct research, and/or teach English abroad. In addition, Critical Language Enhancement Awards are available to grantees for study of critical need foreign languages before or during their grant period.

- See more at: http://eca.state.gov/fulbright/fulbright-programs/program-summaries/student-program#sthash.O7aL06OG.dpuf

I am seriously regretting signing up for automatic emails from the Fulbright student blog. I have mini anxiety attacks every time I get one of their emails before I realize what it is..... -___-;;;

I will de-lurk for this stressful time. I am indeed applying to Indonesia for Full Research. I am trying to focus on writing exams and lectures for my class, but I keep getting distracted by that damn email *ding*

Good luck to you! It seems like the odds for Indonesia are fairly good overall, so that's nice. I suppose we're likely to find out tomorrow or Friday.

Hello I think you might qualify in the Scholar Research Program for Fulbright depending on how many years you have been working. Here is some more information on the differences:

Opportunities for Scholars, Artists and Professionals (Scholar Fulbright Program)

The Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program offers opportunities for American scholars, artists and professionals to conduct research, lecture, and/or consult with other scholars and institutions abroad.

The Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program offers opportunities for foreign scholars, artists and professionals to conduct post-doctoral research and/or lecture in the U.S.

- See more at: http://eca.state.gov/fulbright/fulbright-programs/program-summaries/scholar-program#sthash.UXgRsz3T.dpuf

Opportunities for U.S. Students, Artists and Young Professionals

Fulbright U.S. Student Program

More than 1,500 Americans receive grants to study, research or teach abroad with full or partial support from the Fulbright Program.

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers fellowships for U.S. graduating college seniors, graduate students, young professionals and artists to study, conduct research, and/or teach English abroad. In addition, Critical Language Enhancement Awards are available to grantees for study of critical need foreign languages before or during their grant period.

- See more at: http://eca.state.gov/fulbright/fulbright-programs/program-summaries/student-program#sthash.O7aL06OG.dpuf

If you've only been working a couple of years, you are probably in a similar situation as me and would apply for the Fulbright US Student Program. I've been in the "real world" now for a couple of years (graduated with an MPH in 2012) and contacted IIE before applying to the US Student Program for clarification. They said the Scholar Program is for "terminal degree" professionals, which in their definitions are those with PhDs and MDs. Although I have an MPH as opposed to a JD, I think our situations are pretty analogous.

I notified my boss/mentor of the opportunity a few months before the submission because I wanted her to write me a letter of rec. She's a researcher, herself, and therefore knows that these sorts of things are always tentative. That being said, while she doesn't want to see me leave if I were to get it, she would still be happy to see me succeed, and I'd venture to guess that any employer with whom you have a good working relationship would feel the same.

My question to you, though, is why would you consider the Fulbright as a "sabbatical"? There's no doubt it will help move your career along, and it's a bit unfair to expect your employer to either hold your position open for upwards of a year, or to fire whoever your replacement is after a year. But why pigeon-hole yourself into returning to that job, anyway? The Fulbright experience may transform the way you view your entire career, and it's possible you may want to change your career trajectory, for example. After all, you can always argue when you get back that having a Fulbright Award Recipient is value added to the firm, right? Just some thoughts! 

PS--I applied through the University I graduated with my MPH from, because I happen to be an employee there anyway, and I would strongly encourage University over At-Large. I don't think my application would have been nearly as strong without the feedback from the on-campus interview. There seem to be no disadvantages to University applications, while there arguably are disadvantages with At-Large, so if you're able to, I'd definitely recommend it. 

Edited by cewarren6

If you've only been working a couple of years, you are probably in a similar situation as me and would apply for the Fulbright US Student Program. I've been in the "real world" now for a couple of years (graduated with an MPH in 2012) and contacted IIE before applying to the US Student Program for clarification. They said the Scholar Program is for "terminal degree" professionals, which in their definitions are those with PhDs and MDs. Although I have an MPH as opposed to a JD, I think our situations are pretty analogous.

I notified my boss/mentor of the opportunity a few months before the submission because I wanted her to write me a letter of rec. She's a researcher, herself, and therefore knows that these sorts of things are always tentative. That being said, while she doesn't want to see me leave if I were to get it, she would still be happy to see me succeed, and I'd venture to guess that any employer with whom you have a good working relationship would feel the same.

My question to you, though, is why would you consider the Fulbright as a "sabbatical"? There's no doubt it will help move your career along, and it's a bit unfair to expect your employer to either hold your position open for upwards of a year, or to fire whoever your replacement is after a year. But why pigeon-hole yourself into returning to that job, anyway? The Fulbright experience may transform the way you view your entire career, and it's possible you may want to change your career trajectory, for example. After all, you can always argue when you get back that having a Fulbright Award Recipient is value added to the firm, right? Just some thoughts! 

PS--I applied through the University I graduated with my MPH from, because I happen to be an employee there anyway, and I would strongly encourage University over At-Large. I don't think my application would have been nearly as strong without the feedback from the on-campus interview. There seem to be no disadvantages to University applications, while there arguably are disadvantages with At-Large, so if you're able to, I'd definitely recommend it. 

Thanks for the response! Student program, it is.

I put "sabbatical" in quotes for the very reason that I wouldn't necessarily plan on going back--but I'd be less likely to be let go wayyy in advance of even finding out whether I got the grant, if someone found out I was applying if it's being presented as a "sabbatical."  I know that probably sounds odd, but, in today's tight legal market, that's just kind of how it works, so you have to "cya" (cover your ___) at all times. I'm definitely am expecting the opportunity to alter my career path in some way, should I be so lucky to obtain the grant. :)

Where are you applying and what is your topic??

I feel so silly. I kept thinking there were 7 grants available for my uni, but there are only 2, which now makes me nervous, because that means only 3 or 4 people will be moved on to the next round. 

Thanks for the response! Student program, it is.

I put "sabbatical" in quotes for the very reason that I wouldn't necessarily plan on going back--but I'd be less likely to be let go wayyy in advance of even finding out whether I got the grant, if someone found out I was applying if it's being presented as a "sabbatical."  I know that probably sounds odd, but, in today's tight legal market, that's just kind of how it works, so you have to "cya" (cover your ___) at all times. I'm definitely am expecting the opportunity to alter my career path in some way, should I be so lucky to obtain the grant. :)

Where are you applying and what is your topic??

Ahh, I understand now why you were nervous to say anything! I would argue no one needs to know anything until you'd at least heard back about recommendation. Until that point, everything is still just too tentative to say anything with any certainty. 

I'm applying to Tanzania! I want to help quantify some recent community-based malaria surveillance efforts and potentially focus future efforts by mapping malaria risk "hot spots", as well teach some basic Epidemiology and Biostatistical seminars. 

The fact that, by now, the Fulbright folks most likely already know whether or not we have made this first cut is driving me crazy. I ask myself, "what are they doing?" "Why are they letting us dangle?" Though I realize the people who work there must be nice and friendly and not cold hearted, I can't help but picture them, cackling over their coffee, saying "how much longer should we make them wait? Let's not send those emails just yet! Let's send a survey and freak them all out! And make passing reference to their nerves! haha!" 

Finally registered - so good to know I'm not the only with that acidic anxiety flooding my system every couple hours or so! 

I was wondering if anyone else applying for an ETA has teaching experience? I think I'm a little older than most applicants (I'm in a Masters program now and have taught high school for the past few years).  I knew that I would possibly be overqualified for an ETA, but I really want teach in Bulgaria and transition from teaching English literature to intercultural communication in education.  Hmm...

Also - any other hopeful Bulgarians out there?

Finally registered - so good to know I'm not the only with that acidic anxiety flooding my system every couple hours or so! 

I was wondering if anyone else applying for an ETA has teaching experience? I think I'm a little older than most applicants (I'm in a Masters program now and have taught high school for the past few years).  I knew that I would possibly be overqualified for an ETA, but I really want teach in Bulgaria and transition from teaching English literature to intercultural communication in education.  Hmm...

I'm apply for an ETA and have experience working/mentoring with a literacy nonprofit for high school students in my community. I also have taught rock climbing classes and have shadowed several EFL at my university, but I don't have "official" teaching experience. The country that I'm applying to likes ETAs that are straight out of college. I don't know much about Bulgaria's program, but I'm assuming that your teaching background can only benefit your application. 

Hi all,

Asking a question again... Would love to get your thoughts to help me decide :)

Hi all! Just found out about this community, and I'm glad I did! Yes, I too relate with the pain of getting an email from IIE only to find out it was a survey :(

I have a question for you guys. Here's some background: My affiliate is a director at one of the top universities in my destination country, and before he agreed to be write me a letter of affiliation, I had to apply to his research center and have a faculty committee review my application as a "visiting scholar." I was accepted after the review, so if I get the Fulbright, I'll be considered a visiting researcher with no hassle. The more I read the email exchange though, the more I'm realizing that the visiting scholar position is not contingent upon getting the Fulbright. In fact, I received a live offer letter when I was emailed after passing the faculty review.

So my question is... if the offer still stands regardless of getting the Fulbright, should I accept it? I won't be getting a stipend so I have to pay my living expenses, but I wonder if this is a good opportunity that I'm passing up if I don't take it. The best scenario, of course, is to get the Fulbright and accept the research offer :)

Hello kmsf,

I have considered this very question myself!

I think it really comes down to whether or not you can come up with the money to live in your destination country for the period of your research.

Also, in order to get a visa to be a visiting researcher, you may need to prove that you have the funding to support yourself for the research period (that would be the case for me in Japan, but I don't know what your destination is). Which means you couldn't just wing it, as it were.

You might check some other sources of funding. Of course, Fulbright would be ideal but you might find some way to offset at least some of the living expenses in your destination.

As far as I know, you shouldn't be "disqualified" for having experience in education. I will be graduating from my education program (7-12 English/Language Arts) in May, and I applied for an ETA to Macedonia. Good luck!

Does anyone remember that scene from "Grey's Anatomy" when Meredith Grey asks Derek to choose her over Addison and goes: "Pick me, choose me, love me"? I feel like my life is kinda like that except I'm asking the IIE to pick me, choose me, and love me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Swo1anaCE