Fall 2014 Applicant Thread!

gellert

Not yet.  That is on my list for the beginning of next week.

Ok, I have a question about that. I'm sure professors get contacted by potential students all the time so what would you say to set yourself apart? Or would you simply inquire if they are taking students in the upcoming year? 

Ok, I have a question about that. I'm sure professors get contacted by potential students all the time so what would you say to set yourself apart? Or would you simply inquire if they are taking students in the upcoming year?

I think my two goals in initial contact are:

1)Tell them I am interested in pursuing research in their specific area/topic and maybe especially why I want to work with them (in one or two sentences - no more!)

2) Ask if they will be taking students next year.

Someone on here suggested sending your CV along with that initial contact, but I don't know whether to do this or not. I am torn. I certainly wouldn't want to presume that they will take the time to read my CV; they have better things to do with their time and will have to suffer through stacks and stacks of CVs in December and January.

Maybe others who've gone before have experience to share???

Edited by Bren2014

I may have been the one who said to attach your CV. When I contacted POIs, my 2-paragraph email basically went like:

Dear POI,

My name is XYZ and I will be applying to ABC programs this fall. I wanted to introduce myself, to check if you are taking resaerch students next year, and to see if you think our future research interests would align.

<3 sentences on background and experience>. My career goal is to do <topic> research with a focus on <specialization>.

I have attached my CV to this email.

Thank you for your consideration,

<my info>

If they're interested, they can looks at your CV. If they are fascinated by your short email, then they can print it out and study it :-). But it gives them the option of learning more about you in-depth if they are interested, and it will help them remember you when you apply. It also helps you keep the email itself short- you don't want to be babbling on trying to list your major accomplishments and background. And if they don't want to look at your CV, they don't have to.

Also, a handful of professors commented on my CV when they replied, so I'm sure more than a handful actually looked at it before responding to the email.

Edited by PsychGirl1

Also, I was originally told to attach my CV by my old advisor, who receives literally probably a hundred of these emails a year :-).

PsychGirl1,

I do think you were the one to suggest it.  And I have been considering it; I didn't discount it completely.  Just had some doubts.  Your experience probably should trump my doubt.  And you make a good point that they don't have to look at it if they don't want to. 

Thanks for the further reassurance (via your experience.)

PsychGirl1,

I do think you were the one to suggest it.  And I have been considering it; I didn't discount it completely.  Just had some doubts.  Your experience probably should trump my doubt.  And you make a good point that they don't have to look at it if they don't want to. 

Thanks for the further reassurance (via your experience.)

No problem! I'm not insulted, it's completely up to you. That's what you should do- collect as much info as possible and make your own decisions! And I'm sure some people on here will feel it's not necessary. So again, totally up to you!

No problem! I'm not insulted, it's completely up to you. That's what you should do- collect as much info as possible and make your own decisions! And I'm sure some people on here will feel it's not necessary. So again, totally up to you!

That was amazing advice! I contacted my POI at USF using the basic outline you suggested and she emailed me almost immediately with very informative information. Thanks

That was amazing advice! I contacted my POI at USF using the basic outline you suggested and she emailed me almost immediately with very informative information. Thanks

Great!! I'm glad. Good luck! :-D

I may have been the one who said to attach your CV. When I contacted POIs, my 2-paragraph email basically went like:

Dear POI,

My name is XYZ and I will be applying to ABC programs this fall. I wanted to introduce myself, to check if you are taking resaerch students next year, and to see if you think our future research interests would align.

<3 sentences on background and experience>. My career goal is to do <topic> research with a focus on <specialization>.

I have attached my CV to this email.

Thank you for your consideration,

<my info>

If they're interested, they can looks at your CV. If they are fascinated by your short email, then they can print it out and study it :-). But it gives them the option of learning more about you in-depth if they are interested, and it will help them remember you when you apply. It also helps you keep the email itself short- you don't want to be babbling on trying to list your major accomplishments and background. And if they don't want to look at your CV, they don't have to.

Also, a handful of professors commented on my CV when they replied, so I'm sure more than a handful actually looked at it before responding to the email.

So I used this basic template when contacting a professor and got back a two sentence email stating that the POI would likely be accepting a new student and generically encouraging me to apply. I could be over thinking this but I'm a little concerned that the response was unsubstantial. So a Q. for people who have been through the process before; is this type of response standard?

I have been sending out emails to POI's all across the board and have tried a few different methods and have observed varying results.

I often struggle to keep my introductions concise, and often times become too wordy. Nevertheless, I have recieved some very encouraging responses, most likely from professors who get less "fan mail."  With the higher prestige schools, I will often get a generic response encouraging me to refer to the program's website, which I find to be redundant seeing as I am emailing this professor specificly about a program that I am already quite familiar with.

When I try the short and sweet method, responses are almost always generic feeling. This may be because I have presented less information about myself, or because the professors are buried in emails that are exactly like mine.

One experience that I had that set me back was when I finally perfected my introduction email to my #1 POI and she responded within 12 hours stating very emphatically that she will not be accepting students for 2014. That's life, on to the next.

So I used this basic template when contacting a professor and got back a two sentence email stating that the POI would likely be accepting a new student and generically encouraging me to apply. I could be over thinking this but I'm a little concerned that the response was unsubstantial. So a Q. for people who have been through the process before; is this type of response standard?

Yes, it's standard. I got a range of responses. Sometimes I got more of a commentary of their future research interests, sometimes I got the "I am always looking for good students, I look forward to seeing your application", or the "I am taking a student next year, assuming funding- thank you for your interest". Sometimes I got very enthusiastic replies that didn't lead to an interview invite, and sometimes the generic responds led to an interview invite. Keep in mind these people may be getting literally a hundred of these emails over a few months, in addition to getting ready for the start of a new school year (getting their new students settled, preparing lectures, etc.). I'd say their response is usually a reflection of the number of emails they get and their personality. Besides, the whole point of the email isn't to have the professors fawn over you- it's to know if they are accepting students and to have their remember your name somewhat.

Also, in general, I did NOT email them if the website indicated whether or not they were accepting students. Keep that in mind- sometimes they get huffy if it says that somewhere on their university or lab's website and you email them despite that.

Yes, it's standard. I got a range of responses. Sometimes I got more of a commentary of their future research interests, sometimes I got the "I am always looking for good students, I look forward to seeing your application", or the "I am taking a student next year, assuming funding- thank you for your interest". Sometimes I got very enthusiastic replies that didn't lead to an interview invite, and sometimes the generic responds led to an interview invite. Keep in mind these people may be getting literally a hundred of these emails over a few months, in addition to getting ready for the start of a new school year (getting their new students settled, preparing lectures, etc.). I'd say their response is usually a reflection of the number of emails they get and their personality. Besides, the whole point of the email isn't to have the professors fawn over you- it's to know if they are accepting students and to have their remember your name somewhat.

Also, in general, I did NOT email them if the website indicated whether or not they were accepting students. Keep that in mind- sometimes they get huffy if it says that somewhere on their university or lab's website and you email them despite that.

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely keep that last bit in mind as something to look out for.

I have a few questions for the application veterans here on the board:

I am taking the GRE on September 10th, and have been studying sedulousy. Practice tests are scoring in the 310 range, so nothing to brag about here, but I am proud of my gradual improvement. I have sort of pushed everything else regarding the application process to the back-burners so I can really focus on the GRE, but I don't want to be caught flat footed.

--When is the appropriate time to begin working on retrieving transcripts? How onerous is this process in your experience? I attended 2 different community colleges before going for my undergrad, so this is going to be a little tougher. What is a typical cost to have transcripts sent out?

--I have a rough draft CV set in place, but the majority of my research experience will be coming this next semester (and the following semester) as I just landed a spot as a R.A, so how do I include this in my CV? Any ideas?

--I am holding off on my SOP for the most part until I have some better research expereince to write about. I do have an outline, but how long does this take to perfect? When is the latest I should start this for the Dec 1st applications?

--Regarding POI's, they seem much easier to find for Ph.D programs, but can anyone give any advice on how to find POI's in masters programs? I need to look into some masters programs for security.

Although PhD programs would be ideal I am worried about my GRE score for getting into these. I will be applying for counseling, social, developmental, and even kinesiology programs, depending on the school and where they emphasize sport-psychology. GPA: 3.96, Research assistant for next semester, have presented my individual research at a symposium, and will get to present again this November with my faculty memeber I am working with. Personally I am happy with my research experience which at my school is competitive and hard to find, but it sure seems dwarfed by some of your very impressive undergraduate research experiences.

Thanks for any help, advice, and input,

SP30

Well, I'm not an application veteran, but I can tell you that each school has their own price and process for transcripts.  I, too, went to two other schools before my current one.  I found the websites for the schools and looked for their respective transcript request processes.  Each school listed the cost, request process, and the time it takes to get the transcripts sent. 

What I don't know yet is whether I can have my transcripts sent to schools before I open applications with them.  I imagine this would be a school-specific thing as well?

In another couple of weeks, I'll have the funds it's going to cost to open apps at all my schools.  Then I will immediately request transcripts.  Some of the programs I'm applying to require two copies of each transcript.

I have a few questions for the application veterans here on the board:

I am taking the GRE on September 10th, and have been studying sedulousy. Practice tests are scoring in the 310 range, so nothing to brag about here, but I am proud of my gradual improvement. I have sort of pushed everything else regarding the application process to the back-burners so I can really focus on the GRE, but I don't want to be caught flat footed.

--When is the appropriate time to begin working on retrieving transcripts? How onerous is this process in your experience? I attended 2 different community colleges before going for my undergrad, so this is going to be a little tougher. What is a typical cost to have transcripts sent out?

--I have a rough draft CV set in place, but the majority of my research experience will be coming this next semester (and the following semester) as I just landed a spot as a R.A, so how do I include this in my CV? Any ideas?

--I am holding off on my SOP for the most part until I have some better research expereince to write about. I do have an outline, but how long does this take to perfect? When is the latest I should start this for the Dec 1st applications?

--Regarding POI's, they seem much easier to find for Ph.D programs, but can anyone give any advice on how to find POI's in masters programs? I need to look into some masters programs for security.

Although PhD programs would be ideal I am worried about my GRE score for getting into these. I will be applying for counseling, social, developmental, and even kinesiology programs, depending on the school and where they emphasize sport-psychology. GPA: 3.96, Research assistant for next semester, have presented my individual research at a symposium, and will get to present again this November with my faculty memeber I am working with. Personally I am happy with my research experience which at my school is competitive and hard to find, but it sure seems dwarfed by some of your very impressive undergraduate research experiences.

Thanks for any help, advice, and input,

SP30

Transcripts: this is actually one of the first things I did. I actually had SIX places to send transcripts from (undergrad, study abroad, master's program, and then night classes at 3 different places over the years). You have to check each institution. Some of my transcripts were free, some were $10 each (including shipping). I applied to 12 schools and I probably spent about $300 on transcripts. The cost for transcripts is usually very easy to find out on their websites. I sent them super early so that later on in the process, I could check that they all arrived and re-send any that I need to. When two inefficient institutions meet, things get lost easily :-D. Also, it's easier to do all at once- if you're applying to 10 schools, you can just copy each institution's form 10 times and send them all in together. Keep in mind that some schools don't open their app til September- I'd say mid-to-end September is an appropriate time to start sending in transcript requests.

For your CV: you already have the position, so add it. Put in the dates, and I would feel free to talk about what you will be doing. For example, "Will be managing xx study with xx participants blahblah". You should probably get your CV in a fairly final form now, and then update it right before you submit apps with any additional accomplishments/skills. But you don't have to do your final update until November or so.

SOP: start now. Mine probably took about 4 months to perfect, and I had about 10 people read it (some twice). Throughout the whole thing and selectively taking people's feedback, it evolved significantly from start to end. You already know what you will be doing in your new role, and you should already have a sense of what you want to do for grad school and your career (or else you shouldn't be applying). You can add in some details, an extra paragraph, or change around wording as you go and spend more time in research, but I'd DEFINITELY start now.

Master's programs: each program is different. Some master's programs are NOT mentor based, so you do not need to contact POIs. Some are, in which case, the same faculty members tend to be available to mentor PhD or master's students. That being said, usually it is the less-established faculty who are required to take master's students at these institutions. But there's no harm in asking.

For those of you who are beginning to contact POIs, did you guys only contact one POI per school you planned on applying to? There are some places where I'm interested in two professors (both in similar areas of interests), but I'm not sure if I should just pick the one I'm most interested and roll with it, or contact both.

ffg, I contacted multiple professors at every school that applied to. There were at least 2-3 at each school that had interests similar to mine. Contact all of them.

I have a GPA related question.

Due to certain circumstances outside my control I had a tough time at school during my first two years.

This resulted in a very low GPA, however in my junior and senior year I was able to revive my gpa to near perfect 4.0s till I graduated.

Because of the low gpas in the first two years my cumulative is still pretty low, but the jr and sr GPA is quite high.

Do you think the low cumulative gpa will hinder my chances of getting accepted? I am also explaining the details of these circumstances in my SOP.

Any inputs will be helpful!

I have a similar situation, Wildflower.  My first two years GPA was probably around 3.6.   But my last two years and my major GPA are 4.0.  In reading the information on various programs' websites, it seems that some do put more weight on the last two years' GPA.  However, that doesn't seem to be true for all schools.

In talking with my advisor about how to couch the rough patch in my SOP, he said that it is better to stay focused on the positive.  In other words, acknowledge the situation but don't dwell on it or go into long explanations.  And frame it in terms of what has changed for the better (i.e. how you've grown/matured; how the situation has changed; how you figured something out and moved on, or whatever applies.)

At least, this is what I was advised.

Edited by Bren2014

I have a similar situation, Wildflower.  My first two years GPA was probably around 3.6.   But my last two years and my major GPA are 4.0.  In reading the information on various programs' websites, it seems that some do put more weight on the last two years' GPA.  However, that doesn't seem to be true for all schools.

In talking with my advisor about how to couch the rough patch in my SOP, he said that it is better to stay focused on the positive.  In other words, acknowledge the situation but don't dwell on it or go into long explanations.  And frame it in terms of what has changed for the better (i.e. how you've grown/matured; how the situation has changed; how you figured something out and moved on, or whatever applies.)

At least, this is what I was advised.

That's helpful! Thank you

I have got a question that I'm sure I should already know, but am slightly confused:

What is a better masters degree for moving onto a PhD program after? M.A. or M.S.? 

Thanks,

SP30

In my opinion, as long as you have a solid thesis, good research experience preferably in a mentor-based model, quality classes, and some clinical opportunities (if you plan to go clinical), it doesn't matter if it's a MA or a MS :-).

I have a question re: applying to clinical psych grad programs.

How exactly does the scientist-practitioner model work? I mean, if your PI and yours research focuses on depression, does that mean your clinical training will be geared toward this population? Or are individuals who go through clinical training able to diagnose/treat a host of mental health illnesses while focusing their training and practice on certain populations.

Any clarification on this would be helpful! thanks. 

I have a question re: applying to clinical psych grad programs.

How exactly does the scientist-practitioner model work? I mean, if your PI and yours research focuses on depression, does that mean your clinical training will be geared toward this population? Or are individuals who go through clinical training able to diagnose/treat a host of mental health illnesses while focusing their training and practice on certain populations.

Any clarification on this would be helpful! thanks. 

It depends on the program to some degree, as well as the program's emphasis on clinical versus research.

Generally, it's the latter- the program has some sort of general clinical training through classes, practicum, and the like. You learn how to do assessments in multiple areas, and different therapies, and many people pick practicums so that they have different types of experiences. Many schools have on-site counseling centers, training centers, or simulation centers to train you in. You can usually find infomation about this on each program's website, and if not, they generally go into it in-depth on interview day.

On top of that general training, you can (usually) pick the type of practicum experiences you want (ex. if you want a more general experience, you could possibly work in a counseling center, or if you want some sort of specific experience of XYZ, you might be able to get that instead). I have heard some people complain that their program doesn't give great basic clinical training, so aside from core clinical classes, people in those programs may have very different clinical experiences based on their practicum choices and research lab.

In many programs, you also get clinical experience through your research lab- so you would be running groups, doing assessments, doing therapy, etc. through your lab. So a large number of your clinical hours may be in your specific area (ex. depression).