Fall 2014 Applicant Thread!

gellert

Just wondering, but is that your general cumulative gpa or are you referring to your cumulative psych gpa? I'm just wondering how you would think it would compensate for your gpa if thats your general cumulative gpa. Was your psych gpa low or what you stated up there? For me I have a 3.3 cumulative and ~3.9 psych gpa and 4.0 psych grad gpa (just 1 class so far), but I can't see how my relatively low cumulative gpa would be compensated by taking the psych GRE since I obviously did well in my psych classes. I don't need to prove I can cut it in psych. Now, I would want to take the subject test, say, for a bio program which is what brought my gpa down so low with my bio minor. You thinking more just a general package sort of thing? I've only heard of compensating with the general GRE (which I think you've done with that high of scores). Just wondering. :)

I was referring to my general cumulative gpa so "compensate" may not have been the best word to use. I identified my overall cum. gpa as the weakest spot of my application so I was going to try to use the psych gre to make up for that in terms of my overall app. It could also help with me overall psych gpa as it is about 3.6 (thanks to a C in Bio Psych my sophmore year).

How early do you plan on submitting all of your applications? I know they aren't due till December or so but I've heard the earlier the better...

Some of the websites for the programs I am applying to specifically ask applicants to submit their apps as far before the deadline as they can. They say things such as "Do not wait until the deadline to submit your application," or "You should submit your application six weeks before the deadline." Then there is the dreaded, "Submitting your application on the deadline date could delay review of your application." All I can recommend is carefully reviewing the application procedures on each program's website to see if there are nudges such as these.

I am aiming to have all my material together to submit everywhere in about the middle of October. I'm giving my referees a requested deadline date of Nov. 1. About half of my programs have Jan deadlines.

It's not conscientiousness on my part as much as it is stress and wanting to be done with it all as soon as possible!

Some of the websites for the programs I am applying to specifically ask applicants to submit their apps as far before the deadline as they can. They say things such as "Do not wait until the deadline to submit your application," or "You should submit your application six weeks before the deadline." Then there is the dreaded, "Submitting your application on the deadline date could delay review of your application." All I can recommend is carefully reviewing the application procedures on each program's website to see if there are nudges such as these.

I am aiming to have all my material together to submit everywhere in about the middle of October. I'm giving my referees a requested deadline date of Nov. 1. About half of my programs have Jan deadlines.

It's not conscientiousness on my part as much as it is stress and wanting to be done with it all as soon as possible!

I've never seen any of the websites of schools I applied to say that. Maybe its field differences since you are in i/o and me clinical.

At least for the schools I applied to, I think the "don't wait until the last minute" warnings were more about preventing problems then anything else.  I think most programs won't start doing substantive review of apps until after the deadline, but if you wait until the last possible minute, it's more likely that something won't get in on time.  And if everyone waits until the last minute, there could be all kinds of problems with the system itself.

My advice is to get things in as early as you are comfortable with, but there's no need to rush to get it in way before the deadline.  Remember to leave yourself plenty of time for transcripts and GRE score reports to be processed and mailed out, and to give your recommenders plenty of time to their bits.  I started applications as early as I could, so that I could get these things going, but most were submitted within a few days of the deadline.

I also organized my list of applications by deadline.  Don't spend so much time on a January 1 application that you miss the November 20 application! :)

Hi, I will be applying to Clinical PhD program this year.

Undergraduate GPA: Psychology (3.8); Political Science (3.95)

Graduate GPA (MA Clinical Psych): Psych (3.9); Statistics (3.8)

GRE: ~325 on the new GRE 165Q/160V
Current Publications: 15 Posters, 2 Articles (1 in process, maybe another soon(?))

Research Experience: ~5 years in multiple labs, with at least one year in each lab. Currently, I am a Research Coordinator of one lab with 10+ ongoing projects with 20+ RAs; and a secondary lab that is in a medical/clinical setting gaining clinical training, learning two neuroimaging machines, etc., all while directly assisting the Director of the clinic.

Teaching Experience: TA for 3 undergraduate psychology courses (spanning from 30 student classess to 500 student classes), and GA for 2 graduate statistics courses.

Skills: Statistical Modeling, computer writing for one or two statistical packaging programs, 2 ethnic minority languages, psychometrics

Edited by Coffeeat2am

Applying for MA/PhD programs in Clinical Psychology for Fall 2014! Already got the General GRE over with (165V/160Q/5.5AW) and prepping for the subject now! Aiming to have my applications in November 1st.

Edited by Sevenoffs

How early do you plan on submitting all of your applications? I know they aren't due till December or so but I've heard the earlier the better...

It was awfully nice last year having mine submitted by Halloween - I got to relax for the last six weeks of the semester. It won't matter as far as your chances of getting an interview, but it's nice to have a buffer in case the school doesn't receive something (LORs, transcripts, GREs, etc).

Thanks for the counter argument. I've already registered for the test so I'm somewhat committed to taking it but it will definitely lower my stress level during preparation knowing that it will only be a minimal part of my application.

I just read an article about the predictive value of standardized tests on grad school success.

While it may be true that most schools don't ask for, and presumably don't care about, the Subject test, Kuncel and Hezlett (2007) found that the Subject GRE tests had stronger correlations than the general GRE with such outcomes as degree completion, research productivity, graduate GPA, first year graduate GPA, and qualifying exams. 

This study was a meta-analysis examining data from a wide range of fields so the data probably includes all the GRE subject tests under the single variable of GRE-S. It's likely that not all subject test are created equal.  It's possible that grasping the breadth of subject content in some fields matters more than it does in psychology.  However, in looking over the content areas of the other GRE subject tests as listed on the ETS website -- and admitting that I know very little about any of the other fields -- my guess is that biochemistry is the most unified in content applicable to grad studies.  The rest of the subject tests look about as diverse in scope of their respective fields as the psychology test is.

The subject tests may be tapping cognitive ability (or semantic memory, at least) as well as interest in the field in general.  Greater general interest may translate to greater motivation to achieve.

I just thought the meta-analysis was interesting.

Kuncel, N.R., & Hezlett, S.A. (2007). Standardized tests predict graduate students' success. Science, 315(5815),1080-1081.

I'm thinking of applying this year (though before I was going to apply in the next year cycle, but what's the worst that can happen)?

Stats Are:

• Medium Sized Research School
  • African American Male
  • 10-15 Social Psychology Programs
  • UGA: 3.3 (Major GPA 3.8), (Psych GPA 3.45)
  • Last 60 credits: 3.88 GPA
  • GRE: V 161 Q 165 A 5.0
  • Psych Subject Test: 92nd percentile
  • 3 semesters and 1 summer of neuroscience research (yielded contribution to a paper)
  • 1 summer in a social psychology lab with 2 of my ideas being used for projects that are currently ongoing
  • 1 poster presentation
  • Major: Global Studies with a focus on Development Health and Sustainability
  • Possible Psych Minor if I want to kill myself this semester
  • Psych Classes: Intro, Abnormal, Research and Design, Aging, Statistics
  • 2 thesis papers writen in my major
  • LoRs from Neuroscience lab, social psychology lab and professor

So we shall see i suppose?

Edited by HemustBeMagic

Kind of a random question but I thought I'd ask it anyway. Obviously there is a preference for hands on experience when it comes to research but will admissions committees look favorably upon administrative research experience? I have been a research coordinator for a major consortium of research hospitals managing social/behavioral and clinical research for the past year and I am wondering whether this type of research-related work (i.e. reviewing/editing consent forms, grant applications, study protocols etc.) would be viewed favorably when applying to grad programs or if it would be secondary to my undergraduate experience (an independent project and RA experience with a professor). All opinions are welcome.

Kind of a random question but I thought I'd ask it anyway. Obviously there is a preference for hands on experience when it comes to research but will admissions committees look favorably upon administrative research experience? I have been a research coordinator for a major consortium of research hospitals managing social/behavioral and clinical research for the past year and I am wondering whether this type of research-related work (i.e. reviewing/editing consent forms, grant applications, study protocols etc.) would be viewed favorably when applying to grad programs or if it would be secondary to my undergraduate experience (an independent project and RA experience with a professor). All opinions are welcome.

I have some of that type of research experience as well and am listing it on my CV.  I asked current professors about it and they said it won't hurt at all and it is viewed as being more basic, as in ok they can stay organized and can recognize commonly used documents.  However, its not better than having experience doing independent research or RA experience with a professor.

I've already contacted my top POI's, and have had unofficial interviews with three of them (and a scheduled interview with a fourth).  I'll probably start blanket contacting everyone I want to apply to in late summer, and will ask for LORs in early fall.  Happily, 2/3 of my letter writers will be the same as the ones who did my letters last time, so I'll just have them update with my slightly more honed research interests and send the same thing.  Easy peasy!

Oh, and I'm applying social psych and cog neuro.

Hi, I just wanted to ask you what kinds of questions your unofficial interview consisted of?

Also, how did you contact your POIs to get these interviews? I am new to the process and just wanted to understand how to contact POIs, what to say etc. I had applied for Fall 2013 but unfortunately I did not make any contact with POIs because of which I didn't  get any offers.

hi

i am student of psychology wanted to study in american university but have few question i hope you all might respond well

1) most of american universities in program that i am applying for offer phd but not master. is it ok to go directly for phd after undergraduation.

2) what are best universities for cognitive and computational neuroscience. as i want to apply for this program.

3) i have no any research experience as in my counrty not any psychology lab is yet developed so if want to join any lab what r possible options for that. i mean can any one suggest me labs that i can apply and work with . it would be great help.

4) i had good gpa but no research experience i seriously need your guidance in this regard.

looking forward for your response.

hi

i am student of psychology wanted to study in american university but have few question i hope you all might respond well

1) most of american universities in program that i am applying for offer phd but not master. is it ok to go directly for phd after undergraduation.

2) what are best universities for cognitive and computational neuroscience. as i want to apply for this program.

3) i have no any research experience as in my counrty not any psychology lab is yet developed so if want to join any lab what r possible options for that. i mean can any one suggest me labs that i can apply and work with . it would be great help.

4) i had good gpa but no research experience i seriously need your guidance in this regard.

looking forward for your response.

Hi,

I am from New Delhi and some Indian students face a similar problem (of not having well developed labs or on going research projects at Universities).

My suggestion to you would be:

- Contact your Psychology professors and see if they're currently working on any papers/research and if you can assist in ANY way

- Contact senior professors who could connect you with professionals in your industry (talk to them about possible internship programs-even if they are unpaid)

- Talk to your undergraduate institution about your dilemma and see if they may be willing to let you conduct a study under the guidance of one of your professors

- If possible, reach out to Professors here in India (Delhi University, Jawaharlal University or Mumbai University) and see if they may  be willing to take you on in one of their on going projects

Research experience is critical while applying to graduate programs. I hope that one of the above options work out for you.

You may send me a private message if you'd like to discuss this further.

Good luck!

Hi,

I am from New Delhi and some Indian students face a similar problem (of not having well developed labs or on going research projects at Universities).

My suggestion to you would be:

- Contact your Psychology professors and see if they're currently working on any papers/research and if you can assist in ANY way

- Contact senior professors who could connect you with professionals in your industry (talk to them about possible internship programs-even if they are unpaid)

- Talk to your undergraduate institution about your dilemma and see if they may be willing to let you conduct a study under the guidance of one of your professors

- If possible, reach out to Professors here in India (Delhi University, Jawaharlal University or Mumbai University) and see if they may  be willing to take you on in one of their on going projects

Research experience is critical while applying to graduate programs. I hope that one of the above options work out for you.

You may send me a private message if you'd like to discuss this further.

Good luck!

One more thing, you might want to consider contacting NGOs and NPOs in Pakistan. NGOs often conduct a variety of research and require volunteers to help them develop their studies. These studies are often presented to the government or the UN etc for policy reform and or funding.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I'm applying to PhD programs for next fall

• undergraduate gpa 3.6
  • j/s 3.9
  • psy 3.9
  • 156 V 150 Q
  • Research experiences in behavioral neuroscience lab, human factors lab, social psych lab and I/O lab

Despite mediocre GRE scores I hope to be accepted into a PhD program. I'm applying to USF, WashU, UCF, Rice, Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Purdue, Georgia Tech and U of Georgia

On 8/12/2013 at 10:29 AM, PhDplease! said:

Hello everyone, I'm applying to PhD programs for next fall

• undergraduate gpa 3.6
  • j/s 3.9
  • psy 3.9
  • 156 V 150 Q
  • Research experiences in behavioral neuroscience lab, human factors lab, social psych lab and I/O lab
Despite mediocre GRE scores I hope to be accepted into a PhD program. I'm applying to USF, WashU, UCF, Rice, Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Purdue, Georgia Tech and U of Georgia

Hi PhDplease,

If I may ask, who are your POIs at USF, Purdue, and Rice? You could send me a private message if you don't want to post them on here. Thanks!

Hi PhDplease,

If I may ask, who are your POIs at USF, Purdue, and Rice? You could send me a private message if you don't want to post them on here. Thanks!

Sure, Dr. Tay at Purdue, Dr. Helb at Rice and Dr. Shen and Dr. Coovert at USF. You?

No one looks at them until after the deadline. You aren't more likely to get an interview or acceptance because you submitted your app earlier.

If you're in social (didnt look back too far, so I apologize if this was mentioned), I heard that most professors won't look at any applications until after SPSP. Although this may not apply this year since SPSP is now in February.

However, you may be able to get 'unofficial' phone interviews by contacting the POI early on. I wouldn't rush sending in the application, but definitely have some things prepared (e.g., one professor wanted me to send an unofficial SOP and transcript to him before applying...another wanted my writing sample before he received it from the application).

Looks like our research interests are somewhat different. :-) Beier and Motowidlo at Rice; Jagacinski at Purdue; and Spector and Borman at USF.

They do seem quite different. Have you contacted your POIs?