Fall 2014 Applicant Thread!

gellert

I'd put together a CV- it will only take an hour or two to convert your resume to CV format and make it up-to-date, and you'll have to do it eventually anyway for applications.

Yes, submit your semester abroad transcript. My study abroad had an institute in the US it sent their transcripts from, but yours might be different. At least you don't have to send 6 transcripts, like I did :-D (undergrad, study abroad, master's, then night classes at 3 different places over the years all of which were in my field). FUN TIMES. (A few places will let you upload electronic versions and only send them if you get in- so make sure to order an extra copy of everything to yourself and scan it in for your records).

Thanks for the advice! Wow, 6 transcripts... that's pretty crazy. At least I remembered my study abroad transcripts now and not in November; I'll get on that...

On the topic of transcripts, does anyone know if it is fine to send transcripts that do not have my senior year fall grades on them? I would have to wait until January and I don't want to cut my applications too close to the due date [1/15]. But, I'm not sure if there is a general policy about that. 

MCVCM92,

I'm in the same boat, but I know my UG school's transcripts will include which classes I'm currently taking. There is no way to include the grades. I don't think there is anything you can do, and I doubt that they would want you to wait. If you do bomb your last two semesters, they can always revoke their offer of admissions.

SP30

I went ahead and sent my transcripts.  I'm a part-time student, with four classes left (two this semester and two next semester) and my acceptance to a school surely would not hinge on these four courses (unless I bomb, which is highly unlikely.) 

It is sort of sad, because my two current courses are very relevant to my interests and what I'll be doing in grad school.  But I have some Dec 1 deadlines and my current courses won't even be finished by then.  And I have research experience which should present a compelling example of my aptitude for the subject matter.

Past performance is the best predictor of future performance and grades are only one part of the application.

Edited by Bren2014

MCVCM92,

I'm in the same boat, but I know my UG school's transcripts will include which classes I'm currently taking. There is no way to include the grades. I don't think there is anything you can do, and I doubt that they would want you to wait. If you do bomb your last two semesters, they can always revoke their offer of admissions.

SP30

Yeah, my school does the same thing, in that it will include the classes I'm currently taking. I just wanted to double check with other applicants. Thanks!

How far behind am I if I haven't finished my personal statement yet? I have completed my GRE, but I am considering retaking it (I scored 149 and 148). I've asked for my letters of rec, I have yet to email potential professors to ask whether or not they are taking graduate students, and I have just finalized the list of schools that I want to apply to (15: 11 PhDs. 1 PsyD, and 3 masters).

I am working more than full time because I have to support myself (and pay for those apps, transcripts, etc...). And I'm starting  to feel a bit overwhelmed, so I guess my second question would be how are you all proportioning your time to finish everything?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! And good luck to everyone else!! :)

I am still working on my personal statement(s).  My goal is to have the main one finished by the end of this month (then I will adapt it to each program's requirements - some want 500 words, some want 2-3 pages, some want personal stuff, some just want your career and research goals, some want a form filled out, etc.) 

I also work full time, etc, etc.  This is what I do to stay on top of it all:  I have a spreadsheet for all the programs I am applying to with columns for each application item.  I have decided to just open the online applications for the master's programs and get my recommenders to send letters,  and then worry about adjusting my personal statement and sending the grades/scores to those after I get all the PhD applications done.  (Thoe master's deadlines are Mar 15.)

--I have my transcripts ordered, except for one program that I just decided to add to my list

--I have my CV finished (still waiting to hear if I will get published so I haven't uploaded it yet)

--I have my GRE scores sent

--I'm taking the Subject test at the end of this month (have selected the schools it needs to go to)

--I am compiling packets for my letter writers (giving them a list of the schools, what they need to do to submit their letters, my CV and a little blurb about my goals/accomplishments.)

--I am working on my personal statement and that is Job One right now.

I got the simple, no-brain stuff out of the way first (requesting transcripts and sending GRE scores).  I stay organized.  That, for me, is half the battle.  If everything I have to do is just rattling around up in my head it can all feel overwhelming, but if I have a way to track what I am doing, have done, and still need to do then it all feels manageable.

My list of schools has even changed in the last two weeks, as I've gotten more information.  But I just adjusted the spreadsheet and am still on track.

I don't know when your deadlines are and I don't know what kind of writer you are so I can't really judge if you have given yourself enough time.  But I would suggest getting the simple stuff out of the way immediately to leave brain space for the personal statement now.

On the topic of transcripts, does anyone know if it is fine to send transcripts that do not have my senior year fall grades on them? I would have to wait until January and I don't want to cut my applications too close to the due date [1/15]. But, I'm not sure if there is a general policy about that. 

Absolutely fine-- programs handle this all the time.  Check the websites, but most will just make your admission "contingent" on satisfactory completion of your current program -- so you'll just have to send an updated trascript after you accept an offer.

How far behind am I if I haven't finished my personal statement yet? I have completed my GRE, but I am considering retaking it (I scored 149 and 148). I've asked for my letters of rec, I have yet to email potential professors to ask whether or not they are taking graduate students, and I have just finalized the list of schools that I want to apply to (15: 11 PhDs. 1 PsyD, and 3 masters).

I am working more than full time because I have to support myself (and pay for those apps, transcripts, etc...). And I'm starting  to feel a bit overwhelmed, so I guess my second question would be how are you all proportioning your time to finish everything?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! And good luck to everyone else!! :)

The only part that seems behind to me is retaking the GRE. I contacted POIs early October, finished statements sometime around then and edited for about a month. Leave time for lots of people to read your statements & give you feedback, preferably people in the academy. I struggled with staying calm.... I wouldn't compare yourself too much to the folks on gradcafe. You'll drive yourself nuts. 

Edited by psychgurl

Ugh this is going to suck but here's my stats

2.7 GPA ( I did bio mainly and I was ill one year)

Verbal, 163, Quant 159, Writing 5.0

Taking my psych GRE soon

On 3 abstracts, First author on one

Two Publications, One First author still working on it

3 years in neuroscience

Only applying to Masters

I wouldn't compare yourself too much to the folks on gradcafe. You'll drive yourself nuts. 

Amen...

I don't like when I see the 169-V GRE person asking if he/she needs to re-take and get a 170. Likewise, I don't like seeing the mile long research experience person that needs a pat on the back by asking if they "have a chance."

Reality is most of us have done the best we could with the situations we were in, and comparing with each other sucks, especially since we don't all get the same opportunities and luxuries. I for example play a sport, some need to work full time, others have children, etc.. We can only spread ourselves so thin.

Sorry for the rant, and best of luck to all the applicants! Remember, we are here to help each other, not to compare the size of our.... Vita's  ;)

SP30

^ A+++

I also haven't started my SOPs.  Don't worry about it.  Lots of us haven't.  Heck, I haven't even finished emailing all my POIs!  Work at a rate that makes you feel comfortable.  Personally I don't even want to start my SOP until I feel like I know what I want to say and have read enough examples of other SOPs to feel confident.  And that's perfectly fine.

Hey, at least we're not as bad as SDN.  If anyone wants to feel awful about themselves, go watch all the 4.00 pre-meds get told they have no chance in hell of getting into any med school outside the Caribbean.   :rolleyes:

I haven't finished emailing my POIs either. I haven't even finished narrowing down my mile-long list of schools. Part of this is because my job is totally nuts, and partly because I am unmotivated to start the process again, but I know I'll get it done before it needs to be done. It's hard not to compare yourself to people on the forum, but it really does not help.

Good luck to everyone.

Applications are exhaustingfuly fun and rewarding. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the application process and/or University of Michigan's social area. This applies to anyone, but mostly social psychologist since that is the area I am most familiar with.

I'm applying to work with professors doing work in these three topics:

1) Interpersonal/Romantic Relationships

2) Religion and Religiosity and their effect on the self

3) Self-Regulation (ego depletion and commitment tools)

A few social programs I've found are doing research that touch on several of these topics.

I don't know anyone that does all those 3 things, but I think I applied to similar professors.

Who are the self-regulation folks you're applying to?

Hi everyone!

I'm a prospective Social Psychology applicant with a complicated back story (I failed out of a previous institution a few years ago and transferred to a new one). My GPA at my current university is high (3.96), my GRE scores went better than I could have hoped [V: 166 (96th); Q: 159 (75th); A: 6 (99th)], and I have plenty of research experience.

My interests all relate to sexual prejudice, gender expression, and how masculinity culture can be alienating to queer identified individuals. At some point I also hope to explore intersections of race, gender, and sexual orientation, so that a fuller picture of diversity can be developed in the discrimination literature. 

Jazzed about applying, but also a little concerned that academics won't relate to my story. We'll see what happens

I dropped out of college for about 3-4 years. It wasn't a big deal in my application process and it didn't really come up at all in my interviews. We have similar GRE scores and your GPA is way better than mine. I think you'll be fine.

Also, there are tons of sexual prejudice and gender expression faculty at U of M, although I think they are in Personality and Social Context.

I'm going to make a post here, because, procrastination. :)

I'm applying for I-O psychology programs. Minnesota, Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Penn State, Rice, South Florida, Michigan State, Bowling Green, DePaul, and UNC Charlotte. I hope 9 is enough! I used to have 2 others that I eliminated for various reasons. I'm considering throwing in a masters program for good luck.

I've contacted 7 POIs - one briefly said he was accepting grad students, three seemed to glance over my CV and encourage me to apply with a few kind comments, one said she wasn't accepting grad students, and two have not replied. I haven't had any intensive conversations, which I am ok with. I feel like I got a good sense of their research by going through their published papers and websites. And since I mentioned my research interests and suggested working with them, maybe they'd tell me if they felt my interests were too different to work with me. But that could just be my justifications...

Once I take my Psychology GRE tomorrow (!) I will contact my other POIs! I pulled together a draft of my personal statement, but I think it needs a lot of editing before I am willing to even show it to anyone (my English MA friend wants to look over it for me, and I had to tell her noooo not yet!). My professor wants me to apply for the NSF fellowship, although I honestly feel too overworked to actually develop a proposed research plan. Maybe once I get the Psychology GRE over with I will have more time to consider it.

I'm going to make a post here, because, procrastination. :)

I'm applying for I-O psychology programs. Minnesota, Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Penn State, Rice, South Florida, Michigan State, Bowling Green, DePaul, and UNC Charlotte. I hope 9 is enough! I used to have 2 others that I eliminated for various reasons. I'm considering throwing in a masters program for good luck.

I've contacted 7 POIs - one briefly said he was accepting grad students, three seemed to glance over my CV and encourage me to apply with a few kind comments, one said she wasn't accepting grad students, and two have not replied. I haven't had any intensive conversations, which I am ok with. I feel like I got a good sense of their research by going through their published papers and websites. And since I mentioned my research interests and suggested working with them, maybe they'd tell me if they felt my interests were too different to work with me. But that could just be my justifications...

Once I take my Psychology GRE tomorrow (!) I will contact my other POIs! I pulled together a draft of my personal statement, but I think it needs a lot of editing before I am willing to even show it to anyone (my English MA friend wants to look over it for me, and I had to tell her noooo not yet!). My professor wants me to apply for the NSF fellowship, although I honestly feel too overworked to actually develop a proposed research plan. Maybe once I get the Psychology GRE over with I will have more time to consider it.

Maziana,

I'm taking the Psychology subject GRE tomorrow also. B)

I've had a similar range of experiences with emailing POIs.  As long as they don't tell me out-right "No" I'm gonna apply!

Even at the early stages, feedback on your statement can help a great deal.  I would encourage you to go ahead and let someone take a look at it.  They may see something you don't see and it could help you shape and refine your ideas from the start.  Just a thought.

Wishing you the best on the subject test!

My professor wants me to apply for the NSF fellowship, although I honestly feel too overworked to actually develop a proposed research plan. Maybe once I get the Psychology GRE over with I will have more time to consider it.

I remember when I interviewed with my current advisor, we somehow got on the topic of applying for the NSF fellowship (which I didn't apply for during my application season). Her response was something along the lines of "oh...I would not expect any of my incoming students to come in with the NSF fellowship...I mainly give offers to people based on their applications/potential."  I think that applying for NSF is really the icing on the cake. I would focus almost all your energy on your applications, and then maybe apply for NSF if you feel like you are ahead of schedule on getting your apps done. I know classmates who applied for NSF just for the hell of it to look good during grad school interviews...but not really even with a coherent research program in mind. I personally would only apply for NSF if it won't detract from your ability to turn in the best apps possible. I should note, however, that NSF does give you feedback on your application, which may increase your chances of winning next year.

• 3 weeks later...

All right, we really are down to the nitty gritty now.  How do you head your statement of purpose?  With just your name?  Your name and address/contact info?  Your name and the program of study you are applying to?  No heading? 

Edited by Bren2014

Applying to 12 Clinical PhD programs for fall 2014. GRE psych. next week. Written some LOI's - haven't received answers. Is this normal?

Any other international students out there?

All right, we really are down to the nitty gritty now.  How do you head your statement of purpose?  With just your name?  Your name and address/contact info?  Your name and the program of study you are applying to?  No heading? 

I put a header with my full name, what program I'm applying to, and that it was my personal statement.

Hello! Just wanted your opinion on something, GRE scores were V: 156 and Q: 148 should I take it again? I have a 3.96 GPA undergrad and 4.0 GPA on my masters and experience as a therapist (3 years in private practice) and applying to 3 PsyD's (first choice is Yeshiva) Thanks!

If you have the time, energy, and think you can improve your GRE scores, then go for it. If not, it's a little late in the game to take them again.

Thank you for your input... I'm an international student so I'm still learning how all of this works... I have one more question, does anyone know a good template for resumes?

Anybody else applying to Yeshiva PsyD???? Or GWU??? Nova??? Any advice/comments on those schools?

Thanks and good luck to everyone taking the psych GRE on saturday!!!