Fall 2014 Applicant Thread!

gellert

Lets just say I was lucky that I checked the UCLA deadline. I could have sworn it was the 2nd. Nope, the first. Fortunately, I had everything done so just had to open the app, fill out a few fields, upload all my documents, spend $80, and submit.

So glad most of my apps are due the 15th, and one of my top choices is actually not due until January 18th.

It is the absolute worst application system, isnt it? One of the schools I'm applying to also has that system, AND THEN in one of the subsections, they wanted us to write about our research interest BRIEFLY and SUCCINCTLY, and so I did 2-3 short paragraphs, thinking that I would be able to submit a more complete personal statement afterwards. I only found out later that the BRIEF AND SUCCINCT research interest IS the personal statement they want us to submit.  It's the absolute worst :'( And it was one of the schools I'm really interested in too. sigh. 

Same with me! Maybe we have the same school? There wasn't a place to submit my statement in the application and I was wondering why. I didn't get a reply from the advisor until a couple of days ago, and I asked if I could email a copy of my statement, but now they won't respond since it's the weekend, and the application is due today. I'll email them a copy anyway and hope for the best.

My application that requires my official transcript says they don't have them... Trying not to freak out and hoping it is just a fluke and will be updated by tomorrow morning.  I sent out my transcripts about a month in advance because I was afraid they wouldn't make it there on time (plus I've dealt with schools who refuse to do their job and send the transcripts).  :unsure:

Well, my LOR writer still won't respond to me and one of the school's deadline has passed and the other extended the deadline until 1 pm today due to technical difficulties. However, they state quite clearly *ALL materials must be received by deadline*. SIGH. That was my top choice, too. Chances she magically gets on today and submits before 1pm? I can only hope... 

EDIT: She did submit the letter just now. Whew. 

Edited by JadeS

I am in a panic. One of my December 1st deadlines, my alma mater for crying out loud, has made me nervous. My transcripts never appeared as a requirement. I emailed and they assured me it was fine. Well I go to check my application today and my student id no longer appears and one box is checked "no not a current student" but directly below it lists the school. 

Edit: they said it is fine, everything is there

anyone else having last minute panic attacks ;) 

Edited by Cpsych83

Yep.  Stanford's app says none of my official transcripts have been received, though I know they must have been.  I know they were sent to the dept so they won't show up as received on my GS app anyway, but I still get nervous.

Hi everyone,

Just reading through here and I wanted to say how relieved I am that I'm not the only one having trouble with the whole reference letter process. Two out of three of my referees are amazing (they even sent me quick e-mails after each of their references were submitted just to let me know), but one is just being horrible. 

I was getting nervous about the December 1st deadline at one of my universities about three weeks ago so I e-mailed him to check and see whether everything was aright, and to see if he'd gotten the links and everything. He kept saying yes, but still no references. Last week I visited him once during office hours, then I e-mailed him to confirm that he knew December 1st was doomsday. When he didn't respond, I e-mailed him again to see if he'd even gotten the previous e-mail. Again "yes, it'll get done."

Well, December first rolls around and still nothing was submitted. I checked the application and it had a big red sign next to his name with "Invitation not accepted" and it said that the application had already been forwarded for review. I sent him a rather snippy e-mail asking him to write the letters as soon as humanly possible, then I cried for like 6 hours since I assumed that that particular application would be thrown out.

Thankfully, I called this university today, and unlike other schools, they don't need the references to be submitted by the application deadline, so they said it'll be fine. 

Eyes are still swollen, I'm still pissed off at this professor (I was daydreaming about kicking him in the shin), but my application is safe. 

Hope you're all having a great week, and best of luck with any applications you're still working on. Cheers.

The disaster continues with one of the applications saying it doesn't have my GRE scores (which I sent in advance as well).  Why can't grad school apps be a smooth process?  I'm hoping the missing GRE scores and miss transcripts are due to an overwhelming amount of paperwork on their part and doesn't mean they don't actually have my stuff.  Trying to remain calm but it's hard when that's one of my top schools. Sigh.

Just submitted to OHSU here. My next deadlines are December 15th. I feel so weirdly liberated now.

Total illusion, I know, but it's nice not having a deadline looming hideously overhead while I work on stuff.

Hi there! I've applied to Durham University (MSc Developmental Psychopathology), Swansea University (MSc Abnormal and Clinical Psychology), University of York (MSc Development, Disorders, and Clinical Practice), and University of Stirling (MSc Child Development) for next fall! 

I was so nervous about getting the applications in that mine were in by November 9th! I might have been/just be a biiit worried about getting accepted to schools abroad (hahaha) but I've heard back from two so far and both have been offers so I'm ecstatic! Waiting for the other two, however, not so much fun! 

All the programs I applied to are masters programs, so funding is going to be super fun there! But hey, I've been accepted!

Just submitted to OHSU here. My next deadlines are December 15th. I feel so weirdly liberated now.

Total illusion, I know, but it's nice not having a deadline looming hideously overhead while I work on stuff.

Same!  I have a lone deadline between now and Dec 15, but I've pretty much finished that application, so I'm feeling pretty nice right about now.

Oh no!  I submitted an app yesterday and it says my GRE scores haven't been received.  But the ETS site says they were sent out Nov 17th. 

Is this just a matter of the system not being updated yet since I submitted my application so recently? Or should I be worried and call?

Oh no!  I submitted an app yesterday and it says my GRE scores haven't been received.  But the ETS site says they were sent out Nov 17th. 

Is this just a matter of the system not being updated yet since I submitted my application so recently? Or should I be worried and call?

It should just be a matter of the system not being updated. I submitted one of my applications about two weeks ago and the online system said they hadn't received my GRE scores (I sent them beginning of October). I called just to make sure and they said they had it just hadn't updated my application. Though if you're worried, go ahead and call.

Hi, everyone! This is my first time posting on the site, but I've been creeping on past applicant threads for the past six months or so, gathering intel on what applications are like. I've finally narrowed down my list of schools I'm applying to and begun my applications, and I just wanted to share since I found everyone else's information very helpful in past threads. The list is as follows:

PhD

University of Georgia

Georgia Tech

Penn State

University of Central Florida

Florida Institute of Technology

George Washington University

Saint Louis University

Old Dominion

University of Missouri Saint Louis

Auburn

MA/MS

UNC Charlotte

Clemson

My undergraduate GPA: 3.6

Jr/Sr GPA: 3.75

Psych GPA: 3.8, I believe

GRE: Verbal 162, Quant 156, Analytical 5.0. Psychology GRE (for Georgia Tech only) was a 710.

I wish I'd done a little (a lot  cough cough) better on the quantitative section of the GRE. My practice scores on quant were consistently around 158-159, but when I got to the exam, I ran out of time on both sections. I was also practice testing in the 780-790 range for the psychology GRE, but got there and the material was completely different than what was covered in any of the practice books I studied or learned in any class. I was shooting for the 730 range, but fell just shy of that. 

I have 3 semesters of research experience on projects of my own design, including one that resulted in a 55 page thesis-style paper (for my undergraduate capstone course), and volunteer experience working on the projects of two graduate students. I've worked in a counseling center all four years of college, mostly doing secretarial work with a clinical internship and some other odd jobs peppered in there, and worked there as my primary job since I finished up all my classes and graduated in July.

Anyone have any idea what my chances are? Naturally, I'd prefer to go somewhere in Georgia, partially for in-state tuition, partially so I can stay near my home, and mostly because that is simply where I'm most interested in going. I'm really hoping for Georgia Tech and UGA above all others, but based on the program and research interests alone, I'd be excited to get into any of the schools I'm applying to.

Thanks guys! Good luck on your applications!  :)  I know this stuff is crazy stressful, but I'm sure we'll all make it somewhere! Fingers crossed!

PHD:

Umass amherst (Developmental)

Wisconsin University of Madison (Biology of Brain and Behavior)

Stony Brook University (Clinical)

UF (Developmental)

Denver University  (Developmental)

Georgetown University (Neuroscience)

Tulsa University (clinical)

Wayne State University (behavioral and cognitive neuroscience)

Minnesota (Developmental)

Nebraska University Omaha (Developmental)

Oregon University (Developmental)

Edited by emmanuel goldstein

Late LORs from profs: not a big deal? dealbreaker?

Late LORs are a dealbreaker for certain universities. Also, I had a graduate secretary tell me last year that it's the applicant's responsibility to ensure that their referee has that reference submitted on time. 

For some universities, it's not a big problem as long as your materials are submitted on time, but I would definitely check with the university if you think one of your referees is going to be late submitting and see it it's going to cause problems. 

I've read a lot about the importance of looking at APA internship matching rates when deciding on schools. I personally have already applied and the schools that fit well with my interests all have very high match rates. Anyway, I am still interested in why this is such an important factor when deciding on where to apply to schools. The schools that have very low APA match rates are mostly the freestanding PsyD programs (correct me if I am wrong), which accept significantly more applicants when compared to PhD programs, and those students, on average, have lower scores/less research experience etc. So, if you are a strong student, with good experiences and are motivated to get hours and whatever else is needed to get into an APA internship site, will those people still have a harder time getting an APA internship because of the school they attend? Is it that the match rates are low due to the quality of students? Or is it the quality of the program aka poor training/supervision? Or is it the stigma attached to the freestanding programs? I personally have worked with PsyD's doing research and clinical work and I found them to be just as good as the PhD's in the department. 

On another note, what are other people doing to get through the wait to hear back from schools?? I check this site way too many times every day! Good luck to everyone! I imagine many of us will be crossing paths soon. 

I'M DONE APPLYING! Finally. :)

Best of luck to everyone finishing up apps out there, the end is in sight!

Side note -- do not look back through previously submitted SOPs. I've already found two typos (how in the heck did I miss those?!).

Congratulations! I finished applying at the end of November...I mistakingly believed that after having all of my applications and LoRs submitted that I'd feel RELIEVED. Unfortunately, the "waiting game" for interviews is just as stressful!

And I agree about not looking into previously submitted SOPs...nothing good can come of it!

My application that requires my official transcript says they don't have them... Trying not to freak out and hoping it is just a fluke and will be updated by tomorrow morning.  I sent out my transcripts about a month in advance because I was afraid they wouldn't make it there on time (plus I've dealt with schools who refuse to do their job and send the transcripts).  :unsure:

I work in a Dev Psych lab at Duke now! The program here is pretty small though, that's why I'm applying elsewhere for graduate school. All my applications are in though! 

And now we wait... 

Just logged into my CU Boulder account for the first time to check my application, saw

Announcement for Admitted Students Only

If you would like to accept your offer of admission and confirm your intent to enroll by paying your

And freaked out for all of a few seconds until I realized that this it was just a standard blurb. When I clicked the actual status check button I just got "your application is complete and being reviewed by the admissions committee".

Hi All!

This is my first time posting on Grad Cafe, but all the grad students where I work told me it's probably a good idea for connecting to people and figuring out where in the process other people are. I applied to Quantitative Psychology programs, and so far I've heard back from a few. I'm struggling because I've already got a soft acceptance from one of my top schools, and trying to decide if it's worth it to submit my application to another school which is due January 6th. I'm worried something might happen to my soft acceptance and I'm going to need the safety school, but how realistic is it that they change their mind after contacting you?

UCLA - Applied

Arizona State - Applied

UBC - Interview Invite

UNC Chapel Hill - Interview Invite

Ohio State - "Soft acceptance" <-- what does that even mean?

Thanks for any advice you have!