Fall 2014 Applicant Thread!

gellert

I usually don't procrastinate, but I've found myself avoiding my two December 1 deadlines (UCLA and Maryland) like the plague. Yesterday, I FINALLY finalized the list of schools I'm applying to and sent my transcripts/GRE scores. I graduated in May and took the GRE in August, so I could have sent these a while ago. My advisor assures me that even if they aren't in until after the deadline, the schools will still consider my application. One of my letter writers was not happy that I only gave her a finalized list of my schools yesterday, even though she wrote a letter for my NSF GRFP application.

Still haven't finalized my personal statement though, but I have my essay from my NSF that I'm just going to shorten. Fingers crossed!

I usually don't procrastinate, but I've found myself avoiding my two December 1 deadlines (UCLA and Maryland) like the plague. Yesterday, I FINALLY finalized the list of schools I'm applying to and sent my transcripts/GRE scores. I graduated in May and took the GRE in August, so I could have sent these a while ago. My advisor assures me that even if they aren't in until after the deadline, the schools will still consider my application. One of my letter writers was not happy that I only gave her a finalized list of my schools yesterday, even though she wrote a letter for my NSF GRFP application.

Still haven't finalized my personal statement though, but I have my essay from my NSF that I'm just going to shorten. Fingers crossed!

It's alright. You and me are in the exact same boat in terms of procrastinating on these. I'm starting to get worried about one of my Dec. 1st schools because they're one that doesn't send out recommendation links to your references until you submit for some arbitrary reason. I've told my references about this, but still... Hoping to get that school and a few others done soon. I really want to be done with this.

Just a PSA with some info I found out today.

I am friends with a pscyh graduate student (Year 5 or so) at an R1 institution. I can guarantee that many of you are applying to this school. She told me that she (and some other students) are the first line of application readers. Now, I know that departments often have current students read applications and make recommendations. What I did not know is that the few applications they forward to the AdComm are the only ones that get read. So basically there is a high possibility that the AdComm never even gets to see your application at all. I asked her what they look for and weed out but she hasn't done it before so she's not sure. Possibly GPA/GRE and publications, so those hoping for a more "holistic" approach are basically screwed. :(

She did say that they pull certain applications at the request of professors. So if your advisors are well-connected make sure they tell the POIs at you schools to look out for your application! She was telling me that about half the students every year are picked through this method. Leaving the rest of us with an even smaller chance of being accepted. Fewer than 5 "unknown" students per year.

Maybe everyone knew this already, but I was really shocked. It's like the chances just keep getting slimmer for anyone who's not an absolute superstar of a student.

My advisor assures me that even if they aren't in until after the deadline, the schools will still consider my application.

Don't be so sure. I'm on my 2nd application cycle and last year one of my letter writers didn't turn in her letter on time. Two days later I got an email from the department saying that if she didn't get it in within 48 hours my application would be thrown out.

Just a PSA with some info I found out today.

I am friends with a pscyh graduate student (Year 5 or so) at an R1 institution. I can guarantee that many of you are applying to this school. She told me that she (and some other students) are the first line of application readers. Now, I know that departments often have current students read applications and make recommendations. What I did not know is that the few applications they forward to the AdComm are the only ones that get read. So basically there is a high possibility that the AdComm never even gets to see your application at all. I asked her what they look for and weed out but she hasn't done it before so she's not sure. Possibly GPA/GRE and publications, so those hoping for a more "holistic" approach are basically screwed. :(

She did say that they pull certain applications at the request of professors. So if your advisors are well-connected make sure they tell the POIs at you schools to look out for your application! She was telling me that about half the students every year are picked through this method. Leaving the rest of us with an even smaller chance of being accepted. Fewer than 5 "unknown" students per year.

Maybe everyone knew this already, but I was really shocked. It's like the chances just keep getting slimmer for anyone who's not an absolute superstar of a student.

Just curious-- what type of program is this (clinical, cognitive, social, etc.)? This doesn't exactly shock me as I know grad students are often involved in the decision-making process during interview weekends (for clinical programs), so why not let them weed through the giant pile of apps right away as well?  ;)

Still, every school does things differently so you just never know what the exact process consists of for an individual school, unless you have insider info like this. Now you'll probably have people PMing you begging to name the program. I'll admit I'm curious as well.

Edited by StatsNerd

Just curious-- what type of program is this (clinical, cognitive, social, etc.)? This doesn't exactly shock me as I know grad students are often involved in the decision-making process during interview weekends (for clinical programs), so why not let them weed through the giant pile of apps right away as well?  ;)

Still, every school does things differently so you just never know what the exact process consists of for an individual school, unless you have insider info like this. Now you'll probably have people PMing you begging to name the program. I'll admit I'm curious as well.

This one specifically is Social, although I believe other programs in the department do it as well.

I'm also applying to Maryland! And I also have to personalize my statement of purpose for that program as it's a bit different from all the other programs I'm applying to. Good luck! :D

Just submitted my first application. Unfortunately it's the application where recommendation forms aren't sent out until you submit the application. Hopefully my reviewers aren't angry about this... :unsure:

It is the absolute worst application system, isnt it? One of the schools I'm applying to also has that system, AND THEN in one of the subsections, they wanted us to write about our research interest BRIEFLY and SUCCINCTLY, and so I did 2-3 short paragraphs, thinking that I would be able to submit a more complete personal statement afterwards. I only found out later that the BRIEF AND SUCCINCT research interest IS the personal statement they want us to submit.  It's the absolute worst :'( And it was one of the schools I'm really interested in too. sigh. 

I found it odd that a few schools I applied to didn't even ask for a CV. I emailed the one school and asked if I could submit one and they said I could, but who knows if they'll even look at it. I can see if the application itself asks specifically about posters/presentations/publications and relevant experience (which other schools did) but this one didn't... strange. I guess they expected you to cram it all into your SOP. Or maybe they just blindly pull names from a hat when accepting students.

Edited by StatsNerd

In relation to difficulty of getting apps complete in time before the deadline, I am having a hard time getting all my transcripts submitted on time. Some of the schools I'm applying to still haven't received/processed my transcripts that I sent about a month ago...They have been telling me that they have not received it and there is nothing that they can do. Some of these schools I already sent 2nd copies just in case and they haven't received those as well. I have checked and double checked the addresses and my electronic orders show the correct addresses. Worse yet, one school is telling me that all of my transcripts have not been received from all different school. This is just bizarre. Anyone having similar troubles?

I have my first three applications due on the 1st of December and I am freaking out!  I just need to pull together the finalized versions of my personal statements and submit the applications.  The fact that application deadlines are so soon is completely terrifying and enthralling.  

I'm only applying to a few psychology programs, but the one with the earliest date, University of Michigan, is due the December 1st deadline. It's difficult because they ask for a statement of purpose AND a personal statement. Also I feel really nervous writing either one since UMich is my #1. Besides, the only SoP I've done already was for my Alma Mater's Dec 1 deadline, which not only is a lot less prestigious school, but not even a psychology program.

I'm somewhat worried about my GRE scores and transcript getting matched with my application too, since there's some name discrepancies, but I figure I'll just have to deal with that when the time comes.

Hoping to get UMich's SoP at least mostly done tonight so I can send it off to my letter writers, since they only have an old draft of my other SoP so far and that's for sociology.

Suddenly I really regret not submitting an optional writing sample for my first choice program. There was a place to upload it, but I assumed they wouldn’t read it since there was no mention of it being required/allowed. Agh. Now I realize I should’ve uploaded it just in case someone wanted to check it out. Probably nothing I can do now, right? I should stop stressing.

Just call and see if you can add it. If the deadline has not passed they should have no problem adding it. I would absolutely call. If not, no big deal, it wasn't required :) Don't stress. I had a panic attack because I used a word that isn't really wrong …. but just wasn't the best word to use and I had to control myself from calling to change it. This process is awful isn't it? We worry and worry.

I am getting nervous about my letters. One prof hasn't submitted any but I know she is working on them right now, so I feel like they will be submitted on time. Another submitted all but two [one of which is my top choice!]. I emailed maybe 12 days ago to ask about them or if there was any trouble. After getting no reply, I asked in person during our lab meeting. She said to resend links, which I did and let her know. A few days later I let her know the grad sec responded  from one school & said they could be emailed and she would add them to the app. After all of this the prof replied that they would work on and submit that day [last Tuesday]. Nothing has been submitted and both apps close this weekend. I am not sure if I should really email her again tonight / Friday - and if schools are typically lenient on receiving letters a few days late? 

I am getting nervous about my letters. One prof hasn't submitted any but I know she is working on them right now, so I feel like they will be submitted on time. Another submitted all but two [one of which is my top choice!]. I emailed maybe 12 days ago to ask about them or if there was any trouble. After getting no reply, I asked in person during our lab meeting. She said to resend links, which I did and let her know. A few days later I let her know the grad sec responded  from one school & said they could be emailed and she would add them to the app. After all of this the prof replied that they would work on and submit that day [last Tuesday]. Nothing has been submitted and both apps close this weekend. I am not sure if I should really email her again tonight / Friday - and if schools are typically lenient on receiving letters a few days late? 

Really depends on the school. I'd call the schools if you want to make sure that they are ok with receiving things shortly after the deadline. Sounds like either your letter writer is super busy or is very forgetful. If you are not seeing her again until the Apps close then you should definitely email her again especially if she has plans for the Thanksgiving weekend. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do and remember that this is an important first step of your career. Just be polite in the emails about it and that should be good.

I had one that submitted it on the exact day it was due. She was just very busy but she emailed to let me know it was finished, have faith.

I am wondering if this will be a low application year for Clinical Psych …. the boards haven't seemed as active as in the past. The less applicants there are, the better our chances  :D

I think it's pretty common for profs to submit LORs on the very last day, often hours/minutes before the deadline. What worries me is my school that wanted mailed in letters... they are claiming they never received two letters that were sent weeks ago (really... two separate letters got lost? after I double and triple checked the address?). They advised me to have all my letter writers email or fax their letters. Well uh, that's fine for my 3rd procrastinating letter writer who hasn't even started my Dec. 1 letters yet (I know he will get them done, he just waits to do everything) but the other two thought they were done with me... now I have to bug them again right over the holiday weekend. :/ I hate this process! And I wish schools were more organized from the start about how and where they want things submitted. So many of my schools changed their instructions mid-way through this process. I thought I was being smart by starting early, but it actually screwed me up in the end.  :angry:

Anyway... hopefully it will all work out. I have two more Dec. 1 apps to finish and then four for Dec. 15.

I know, I had several schools delay opening apps, too! Actually, the two schools who the prof has not sent in LORs to are the two schools I applied to at the end of October. I had one who I knew would do it this week [and she actually finished them today] but what has me worried is that this prof is very forgetful and had a basic letter done in September. They've submitted everywhere else but these last two. I will contact the schools on Monday to ask about some leniency on deadlines if they aren't in [wouldn't surprise me]. 

Anyway, good luck everyone! It is almost time to actually start just .... waiting. 

I was about to start getting really nervous, but oddly, my letter writers apparently submitted all my letters this past week. Had a couple days where every time I checked my email I'd have a couple notifications from the application system of a submission. So yay. Being antisocial and not doing Thanksgiving here. Working on statements.

Edited by Socrates1

I wasn't sure if my apps needed to be submitted on or before the 1st, or about time zones, so just to be safe I submitted 11:30pm on the 30th! I have one for counseling due the 15th though. Glad I got this one done! #1 choice and I was really pushing the deadline. I hope everyone else submitted or will submit their apps on time. Good luck!

I have heard to submit it before December 1st. At many places the application first goes through the graduate school and then makes its way to the department. At one of my schools that takes 7 business days. I think as long as it is stamped December 1st you should be fine. They won't pull any of the applications until tomorrow morning. 

Let the waiting begin! All of my schools had December 1st deadlines.