Fall 2014 Applicant Thread!

gellert

It depends on the program to some degree, as well as the program's emphasis on clinical versus research.

Generally, it's the latter- the program has some sort of general clinical training through classes, practicum, and the like. You learn how to do assessments in multiple areas, and different therapies, and many people pick practicums so that they have different types of experiences. Many schools have on-site counseling centers, training centers, or simulation centers to train you in. You can usually find infomation about this on each program's website, and if not, they generally go into it in-depth on interview day.

On top of that general training, you can (usually) pick the type of practicum experiences you want (ex. if you want a more general experience, you could possibly work in a counseling center, or if you want some sort of specific experience of XYZ, you might be able to get that instead). I have heard some people complain that their program doesn't give great basic clinical training, so aside from core clinical classes, people in those programs may have very different clinical experiences based on their practicum choices and research lab.

In many programs, you also get clinical experience through your research lab- so you would be running groups, doing assessments, doing therapy, etc. through your lab. So a large number of your clinical hours may be in your specific area (ex. depression).

Thanks for such a detailed response! Very appreciated.

Out of curiosity, what are everyone's research interests? I would love to connect with people who have similar interests and are applying this year.

Personally, I am interested in eating disorders & obesity, and applying to clinical/counseling programs.

Out of curiosity, what are everyone's research interests? I would love to connect with people who have similar interests and are applying this year.

Personally, I am interested in eating disorders & obesity, and applying to clinical/counseling programs.

I'm applying to work with professors doing work in these three topics:

1) Interpersonal/Romantic Relationships

2) Religion and Religiosity and their effect on the self

3) Self-Regulation (ego depletion and commitment tools)

A few social programs I've found are doing research that touch on several of these topics.

ffg, I contacted multiple professors at every school that applied to. There were at least 2-3 at each school that had interests similar to mine. Contact all of them.

Thanks for the response! I will definitely contact all of the professors who have interests similar to mine.

I have a question about how many programs I/O applicants are applying to. With the potentially accumulating costs of application fees, GRE report fees and transcript fees how do you make a final determination on the schools you will and will not apply to when considering the financial aspect of applying. Do you look at fit, location etc.. to make the final determination if funds to apply for programs are limited.  

Thanks

Hi everyone!

I'm a prospective Social Psychology applicant with a complicated back story (I failed out of a previous institution a few years ago and transferred to a new one). My GPA at my current university is high (3.96), my GRE scores went better than I could have hoped [V: 166 (96th); Q: 159 (75th); A: 6 (99th)], and I have plenty of research experience.

My interests all relate to sexual prejudice, gender expression, and how masculinity culture can be alienating to queer identified individuals. At some point I also hope to explore intersections of race, gender, and sexual orientation, so that a fuller picture of diversity can be developed in the discrimination literature. 

Jazzed about applying, but also a little concerned that academics won't relate to my story. We'll see what happens...

Hi everyone!

I'm a prospective Social Psychology applicant with a complicated back story (I failed out of a previous institution a few years ago and transferred to a new one). My GPA at my current university is high (3.96), my GRE scores went better than I could have hoped [V: 166 (96th); Q: 159 (75th); A: 6 (99th)], and I have plenty of research experience.

My interests all relate to sexual prejudice, gender expression, and how masculinity culture can be alienating to queer identified individuals. At some point I also hope to explore intersections of race, gender, and sexual orientation, so that a fuller picture of diversity can be developed in the discrimination literature. 

Jazzed about applying, but also a little concerned that academics won't relate to my story. We'll see what happens...

Hey, it happens. I failed out of undergrad the first time, too. Went back, got a 3.53 UG GPA, then a Master's degree, and now I'm in a PhD program. Work your a** off, and you cans till get into Grad School.

Be aware that AdComms are going to look at your overall GPA, not just your current one; that said, your GREs are great, and research experience is always a plus. Suggestion: do not talk about failing out in your SOP, unless you can frame it in terms of how it makes you the best fit for XYZ lab; even then, no more than a sentence or two. You might also want to apply to some Master's programs, just in case you don't get into a PhD program this round (I say that to everyone; happened to me, too). Good luck!!

Hey, it happens. I failed out of undergrad the first time, too. Went back, got a 3.53 UG GPA, then a Master's degree, and now I'm in a PhD program. Work your a** off, and you cans till get into Grad School.

Be aware that AdComms are going to look at your overall GPA, not just your current one; that said, your GREs are great, and research experience is always a plus. Suggestion: do not talk about failing out in your SOP, unless you can frame it in terms of how it makes you the best fit for XYZ lab; even then, no more than a sentence or two. You might also want to apply to some Master's programs, just in case you don't get into a PhD program this round (I say that to everyone; happened to me, too). Good luck!!

Thanks for the suggestions and support! I'll do my best to handle it delicately -- and it's great to hear someone else made it past the nontraditional history barrier. :)

Hey all. This will be my third round of applications for Counseling Psych programs. Very low undergrad GPA (3.07) in an unrelated field - I spent three years in my undergrad's engineering school before switching to another unrelated major. What's making my applications different this time around is a Masters degree in Mental Health Counseling with a 4.02 GPA (lucky enough to land an A+ which is computed as 4.33 at my school). Decent GRE scores (V: 91%; Q: 75%) and one year of paid research experience between undergrad and the MS, but I'm still worried my undergrad GPA will be held against me even though it's in an unrelated field. Granted, I realize there's no way to go back in time and change it. Other than that, only one poster presentation but four papers in progress (hopefully two will be published before apps are due, I'm first-author on one of them), and a paper and presentation through a government agency (albeit non peer-reviewed).

Upping the ante this time, applying to 16 programs. Have had two interviews in the past, one interview the first year (out of 2 apps) and one interview the second year (out of 10 apps).

Howdy everyone!

Applying for Fall '14 to clinical programs!  Intensely excited about possibly uprooting my S.O. to move halfway across the country.

Terrified for the GRE this weekend, gathering the supply of transcripts (my U-grad doesn't charge, but lawd have mercy they  are known for screwing up transcript requests), and generally putting everything else in my life on hold.

Interested broadly in eating disorders and obesity, specifically in developing novel interventions in the treatment of obesity.

bonne chance!

Edited by researchrelatedanxiety

Hey all. This will be my third round of applications for Counseling Psych programs. Very low undergrad GPA (3.07) in an unrelated field - I spent three years in my undergrad's engineering school before switching to another unrelated major. What's making my applications different this time around is a Masters degree in Mental Health Counseling with a 4.02 GPA (lucky enough to land an A+ which is computed as 4.33 at my school). Decent GRE scores (V: 91%; Q: 75%) and one year of paid research experience between undergrad and the MS, but I'm still worried my undergrad GPA will be held against me even though it's in an unrelated field. Granted, I realize there's no way to go back in time and change it. Other than that, only one poster presentation but four papers in progress (hopefully two will be published before apps are due, I'm first-author on one of them), and a paper and presentation through a government agency (albeit non peer-reviewed).

Upping the ante this time, applying to 16 programs. Have had two interviews in the past, one interview the first year (out of 2 apps) and one interview the second year (out of 10 apps).

Are you applying to the University of Akron's Counseling Ph.D. program, per chance? It happens to be my undergraduate institution, and I'd be more than happy to connect you with a graduate student, if you want any information on the program!

Hi all!

New here and applying to Clinical Psych programs for Fall 2014.  Currently having a mini existential crisis wondering if it will all be worth it--who would have thought that this process would be so grueling and so, so isolating? However, I'm trying to keep an open mind about it and remind myself that, at the very least, I can be sure that this process will be an adventure, one for the books.  

Are you applying to the University of Akron's Counseling Ph.D. program, per chance? It happens to be my undergraduate institution, and I'd be more than happy to connect you with a graduate student, if you want any information on the program!

Thank you for the offer! I sent you a message.

Hi all!

New here and applying to Clinical Psych programs for Fall 2014.  Currently having a mini existential crisis wondering if it will all be worth it--who would have thought that this process would be so grueling and so, so isolating? However, I'm trying to keep an open mind about it and remind myself that, at the very least, I can be sure that this process will be an adventure, one for the books.  

We're in this together. :) Best of luck to you! I'm looking forward to the application process and think it will be a great experience regardless of the outcome. I just need to find some ways to keep my anxiety down over the winter holiday...

I contacted my POIs via email.  A range of responses from matter of fact and polite to very friendly and encouraging.  Just sent the last of the emails out today so I'm still waiting to hear back on a couple.  One still has not responded and it's been over a week.  I know, I know, a week is not necessarily an inordinately long time, and maybe this person is waiting to respond until she knows whether she's taking students next year.  I will give the benefit of the doubt, but my application to this school is on hold til I know if there is a point in applying here.

What have other people encountered in the way of responses by POIs?  Any other folks have long delays in response or get no response at all to an email?

So far, it has been largely a pleasant and informative process.  For those hesitating or nervous, dive on in; the water's fine.

P.S. I did take PsychGirl's suggestion and attach my CV.  Definitely the right move.

Edited by Bren2014

I contacted my POIs via email.  A range of responses from matter of fact and polite to very friendly and encouraging.  Just sent the last of the emails out today so I'm still waiting to hear back on a couple.  One still has not responded and it's been over a week.  I know, I know, a week is not necessarily an inordinately long time, and maybe this person is waiting to respond until she knows whether she's taking students next year.  I will give the benefit of the doubt, but my application to this school is on hold til I know if there is a point in applying here.

What have other people encountered in the way of responses by POIs?  Any other folks have long delays in response or get no response at all to an email?

So far, it has been largely a pleasant and informative process.  For those hesitating or nervous, dive on in; the water's fine.

P.S. I did take PsychGirl's suggestion and attach my CV.  Definitely the right move.

Yay! Glad to hear.

Some profs never reply- if the program and the research is still a good fit, apply anyway. Some are just notoriously bad at responding to emails, or just don't like prospective students emailing them. A prof's response is not a prerequisite for the application to the school.

Thank you for the offer! I sent you a message.

We're in this together. :) Best of luck to you! I'm looking forward to the application process and think it will be a great experience regardless of the outcome. I just need to find some ways to keep my anxiety down over the winter holiday...

Thanks, Yaris! Good luck to you too! 

Yay! Glad to hear.

Some profs never reply- if the program and the research is still a good fit, apply anyway. Some are just notoriously bad at responding to emails, or just don't like prospective students emailing them. A prof's response is not a prerequisite for the application to the school.

Thanks, PsychGirl.  That's a good point, but I dislike spending $100 to $150 applying to a program that is not even taking new students.  Guess I could contact the program itself to simply ask if they plan to admit new students.  ?

This thread is making me feel sad. 

I had originally hoped to apply to doctoral programs, but I'm becoming more and more discouraged.

TL;DR

BA from U Florida in Women's Studies GPA 3.14

Second BA from Florida Atlantic in Psychology (current GPA 3.51, psych GPA 3.85 - two semesters to go, in the undergrad Honor's Psychology program.

Interested in PTSD and sexual assault, as well as childhood obesity and adolescent social development. 

I was supposed to be studying for the GRE all summer and taking it in July, but I wound up in the hospital - so I'm not studying for the GRE, working 30 hours a week, and taking 5 classes.

I'm scoring in the V150, Q150 range for the GRE on practice tests - taking it the end of October.

I have always had to work during undergrad, so I have ZERO extra curricula's, and ZERO research experience.

I will be writing an Honor's Thesis, but will not be starting it until after the deadlines for Ph.D programs.

I want to teach and do research - I do not want to be a clinician. Do you all think I would be competitive in M.A. programs? I really doubt I'll get into any doctoral programs with my stats. 

Thanks for any advice!

Thanks, PsychGirl.  That's a good point, but I dislike spending $100 to $150 applying to a program that is not even taking new students.  Guess I could contact the program itself to simply ask if they plan to admit new students.  ?

Read their website. If it doesn't say anything about NOT taking new students (similarly for the prof), it's a good assumption to make. Again, contacting the prof is not a formal part of the admissions process.

Read their website. If it doesn't say anything about NOT taking new students (similarly for the prof), it's a good assumption to make. Again, contacting the prof is not a formal part of the admissions process.

Thanks, Psychgirl. Guess I am gun shy, since Purdue didn't have anything listed about not taking students this round, yet I was told by a prof (who did reply) that they would not be - with the exception of possibly one particular faculty. And I recall last year a school announced it was not taking new students AFTER the app deadline.

I do realize that contacting profs is not a formal part of the app process. ;-) Thanks for your continued input on this forum; it is valuable to have input from someone who's gone through the process.

No problem- sorry to always be butting in (currently in grad school = need to procrastinate!). You can always email the general admin email (like whatever is listed for "application questions"). But I'd say it's pretty rare that a school would know at this point in time that it wasn't taking ANY students and didn't bother to note it on the website somewhere.  IMO if you like everything about the program and prof, you might as well submit it (honestly, once you apply to at least 5 or 6 apps, I feel like there isn't a major difference in time/cost between applying to 7 versus 8 programs). Plus, maybe people will be less likely to apply to that prof if they don't answer emails :-D. I only had one person not respond to me, but I applied anyway- it turned out she was taking students, and she just was notorious for not reading or answering her emails.

How would it look if I sent 4 letters of recommendation instead of 3? I'm having a hard time trying to decide between two people.

I'm getting really nervous now. I have to retake the gre because I didn't score as high as I wanted on the quantitative section. I feel like my application depends on this score because my gpa isn't stellar.

This whole process is driving me crazy.

Do you think I need a CV to send to POIs? I’m preparing to contact them; I only have a resume right now. I doubt a CV would make my resume experience look much better… but does anyone have any opinions?

Huh, I just realized I probably have to send my transcript from a semester abroad to graduate programs? Since my first transcript only lists the credit hours from that semester abroad, not the classes and grades… That seems annoying; who knows how much that will cost to send transcripts from Europe  to the US…

How would it look if I sent 4 letters of recommendation instead of 3? I'm having a hard time trying to decide between two people.

I'm getting really nervous now. I have to retake the gre because I didn't score as high as I wanted on the quantitative section. I feel like my application depends on this score because my gpa isn't stellar.

This whole process is driving me crazy.

Advice I got: you can ask two people to co-write a letter (esp if they work at the same organization, for example, or if they each saw pieces of the work you do- like two committee members from your undergrad thesis, for example). Only ask for 3- some applications specifically ask you not to submit more, and you just want to focus on making those 3 as complete as possible.

Do you think I need a CV to send to POIs? I’m preparing to contact them; I only have a resume right now. I doubt a CV would make my resume experience look much better… but does anyone have any opinions?

Huh, I just realized I probably have to send my transcript from a semester abroad to graduate programs? Since my first transcript only lists the credit hours from that semester abroad, not the classes and grades… That seems annoying; who knows how much that will cost to send transcripts from Europe  to the US…

I'd put together a CV- it will only take an hour or two to convert your resume to CV format and make it up-to-date, and you'll have to do it eventually anyway for applications.

Yes, submit your semester abroad transcript. My study abroad had an institute in the US it sent their transcripts from, but yours might be different. At least you don't have to send 6 transcripts, like I did :-D (undergrad, study abroad, master's, then night classes at 3 different places over the years all of which were in my field). FUN TIMES. (A few places will let you upload electronic versions and only send them if you get in- so make sure to order an extra copy of everything to yourself and scan it in for your records).

Edited by PsychGirl1