Fall 2014 Applicant Thread!

gellert

I am still wondering what you consider competitive? GPA wise and GRE wise. Most schools I have seen (that I am applying to ) have a GRE of 310-330 average and average GPA over the years was anywhere from 3.6 - 3.8 depending on the year. Application wise most seem to receive around 230 applicants and accept 8. They only state that most students who are accepted score a 300 or higher on the GRE and have a GPA of 3.5 or higher, although obviously the higher the better.

Is that very competitive? I am so worried about my GRE scores and my one bad semester (which lowered my overall GPA to a 3.73)

I am nervous that I don't even have a chance because of the GRE. My LOR are excellent though. 

Edited by Cpsych83

I am still wondering what you consider competitive? GPA wise and GRE wise. Most schools I have seen (that I am applying to ) have a GRE of 310-330 average and average GPA over the years was anywhere from 3.6 - 3.8 depending on the year. Application wise most seem to receive around 230 applicants and accept 8. They only state that most students who are accepted score a 300 or higher on the GRE and have a GPA of 3.5 or higher, although obviously the higher the better.

Is that very competitive? I am so worried about my GRE scores and my one bad semester (which lowered my overall GPA to a 3.73)

I am nervous that I don't even have a chance because of the GRE. My LOR are excellent though. 

Here are some things to consider:

--how many of those 230 applications are complete, filled out correctly, and will be reviewed?  And of those, how many have scores that fall around the average of the admitted students?

--how many of those 230 applications are from students who applied to 10 other schools and may or may not take an offer if they get one from this school?  (Students with very high scores likely get more offers?? So their chances of accepting any single offer they get go down??)

--what does the school's website say they consider in their application review?  Stats?  Research experience?  Work experience?  LORs? 

A school that gets 230 applicants and accepts around 3% of those is competitive just by the numbers.  Even if the average GRE scores of admitted students was a 280 combined.

In other words, it's not about the numbers as much as it is about the pool of applicants for any given year and what things the adcom considers and how they weight those things.  If you are close to the average on GRE scores or on GPA, you might as well assume you have a chance.  How big that chance is, no one can tell you until they look at the pool of other applicants for that school and whether any accepted applicant is likely to accept the offer they get.

There are probably other considerations but it's early and I'm only halfway through my first cuppa.

Edited by Bren2014

Best Wishes! I finished up this week as well and it feels good to be done, but at the same time I feel like I will be a nervous wreck from now - January.

Where has everyone applied to? 

Good-luck to all!

ahhh!! Just read over my writing sample that I already submitted to my school with a Nov 15 deadline and noticed a few mistakes (a double "the" and a run-on sentence I meant to fix but apparently missed before submitting?). I know this probably isn't a huge deal but it bothers me because I really did read everything over multiple times before submitting... and there are still errors!  :rolleyes:

I have a feeling my applications will get better with time, as in my apps due Dec. 15 will be better than those due Dec. 1 and they'll all be better than my poor Nov. 15 app (damn early deadlines!). I'll probably make minor edits to my SOP as I go along (aside from the obvious edits that come from tweaking for each school), which will result in a final SOP that is far better than the one for the first school. This is to be expected, I guess, but it makes me nervous for that first school... it was like a trial run. At least it wasn't my top-choice school, but still...  :unsure:

Here is my situation:

I have really been struggling since I graduated to get back into the super productive place I was in my senior year. As a result, I have really slacked off. I took the GRE, but I have not sent any emails to POIs and I have not even contacted my professors about reference letters, and one of them will either be very cross with me if I ask her this late or will outright refuse.

I'm only thinking about applying to 2 or 3 schools, though one of them has a due date of December 1st, which is the one that that one professor would not be happy about.

However, I am a very solid candidate. I've only seen my "unofficial" GRE scores, but I think I got 169 Verbal and 156 Quantitative with very little test prep (I'm sure I could get a higher score with more prep). My GPA is 3.2, which sounds bad except my school doesn't have grade inflation (and have the stats to back that up, which are included with every transcript sent by the school), and my junior/senior GPA is 3.5. My professors all think very highly of me and my scholarship and have said so repeatedly, so my recommendations are very solid, or at least would be if I had not waited til the last second. I have carried out multiple research projects, including one I created for senior thesis, which I am currently working work with my professor to get published.

What should I do? Should I apply to a small number of schools or just wait till next year?

ahhh!! Just read over my writing sample that I already submitted to my school with a Nov 15 deadline and noticed a few mistakes (a double "the" and a run-on sentence I meant to fix but apparently missed before submitting?). I know this probably isn't a huge deal but it bothers me because I really did read everything over multiple times before submitting... and there are still errors!  :rolleyes:

I have a feeling my applications will get better with time, as in my apps due Dec. 15 will be better than those due Dec. 1 and they'll all be better than my poor Nov. 15 app (damn early deadlines!). I'll probably make minor edits to my SOP as I go along (aside from the obvious edits that come from tweaking for each school), which will result in a final SOP that is far better than the one for the first school. This is to be expected, I guess, but it makes me nervous for that first school... it was like a trial run. At least it wasn't my top-choice school, but still...  :unsure:

I  have the same problem. D:  Noticed TWO errors in my NSF application.  One typo and one fragment sentence.  This is what you get from turning off the spelling/grammar notifs on Word because they always catch technical terms.  x.x

As far as the 3.2 goes, I really don't think they are going to care about stats of non grade inflation, a 3.2 is a 3.2, you could make up for it with stellar GRE scores and research experience. Your GRE is much better than mine :)  Many professors are used to last minute requests. If you are only applying to a few schools I would go for it. Just explain your situation and give a good reason for asking so late. 

If not there is always next year! Where are you applying to? That makes a huge difference GPA wise. I think some programs are more lenient than others. It wouldn't hurt to email your POIs but I don't think it puts you at a disadvantage that you didn't. 

I  have the same problem. D:  Noticed TWO errors in my NSF application.  One typo and one fragment sentence.  This is what you get from turning off the spelling/grammar notifs on Word because they always catch technical terms.  x.x

See everyone has errors :)  (I think)

I am wondering what would be appropriate as far as "thank you"s to my letter writers.  I won't have these professors again for coursework at this point (although I will still work with one of them on research - but not for a grade), so I don't think there would be an ethical conflict if I gave a very small gesture of thanks to them for taking their time to write letters for me.  Or should I wait until I graduate?

Anybody have thoughts - or experience - on this?

Edited by Bren2014

I am wondering what would be appropriate as far as "thank you"s to my letter writers.  I won't have these professors again for coursework at this point (although I will still work with one of them on research - but not for a grade), so I don't think there would be an ethical conflict if I gave a very small gesture of thanks to them for taking their time to write letters for me.  Or should I wait until I graduate?

Anybody have thoughts - or experience - on this?

I recommend no gifts.  Cards (handmade or store-bought) are perfectly appropriate, however, and more personal than an email.

Edited by gellert

9 PhD apps in, just waiting on my last letter writer to pull it together. Will also begin putting together a handful of Masters apps, but hopefully it won't be an issue.

My roommate just got his first acceptance letter to Law School today, so I've been celebrating that with him, while everyone asks me why I haven't gotten any letters yet <_< I'm excited for him, but I wish the process would speed up for me. Waiting game = Excruciating...

The waiting game is AWFUL. I didn't apply to many schools, only 3. My application is great .... posters, publications, great GPA, LOR, ...... the pebble in my application is the GRE. I BOMBED it ... 292, so embarassing. I have worked with two of the professors I am applying to and one of them I am fairly close with.  

I wish I had applied to more than three schools ..... or better yet retaken it .... but waiting game here I come. 

Why of why don't decisions get made by Jan 1st :)