2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Got an email from Imperial yesterday to inform me of my rejection. I went to the interview two weeks ago. They invited 30 of the 100 applicants to attend the interview. They accepted 10 of these 30. I was very nervous during the interview, as the interviewers really psyched me out. I am interested in malaria research and so I wrote my entire personal statement along those lines. However, the first thing they told me at the interview was 'What if I told you that none of the people working on malaria is able to supervise you?'. I was thinking to myself 'WTF, why do you invite me for an interview then...'. Anyway, it all went downhill from there. On the upside, I got an interview invite at UC Davis.

My updated situation is therefore at:

Oxford- Genomic Medicine and Statistics - Interview

Oxford- NDM Prize Studentship - Interview

Sanger Institute- 4-year PhD -Interview

Cambridge- Mathematical Genomics and Medicine - Interview 

Imperial College- Genomic Medicine - Interview - Rejection

Harvard- Biostatistics

Harvard- Public Health: Genetic Epidemiology and Statistical Genetics

Yale- Biostatistics

UC Davis- Entomology- Interview

Penn State- Entomology - Acceptance - 26000$ + tuition fee waiver

Cornell- Genetics, Genomics, and Development - Interview

Got an email from Imperial yesterday to inform me of my rejection. I went to the interview two weeks ago. They invited 30 of the 100 applicants to attend the interview. They accepted 10 of these 30. I was very nervous during the interview, as the interviewers really psyched me out. I am interested in malaria research and so I wrote my entire personal statement along those lines. However, the first thing they told me at the interview was 'What if I told you that none of the people working on malaria is able to supervise you?'. I was thinking to myself 'WTF, why do you invite me for an interview then...'. Anyway, it all went downhill from there. On the upside, I got an interview invite at UC Davis.

My updated situation is therefore at:

Oxford- Genomic Medicine and Statistics - Interview

Oxford- NDM Prize Studentship - Interview

Sanger Institute- 4-year PhD -Interview

Cambridge- Mathematical Genomics and Medicine - Interview 

Imperial College- Genomic Medicine - Interview - Rejection

Harvard- Biostatistics

Harvard- Public Health: Genetic Epidemiology and Statistical Genetics

Yale- Biostatistics

UC Davis- Entomology- Interview

Penn State- Entomology - Acceptance - 26000$ + tuition fee waiver

Cornell- Genetics, Genomics, and Development - Interview

Hi Etern -  can you share some more information about the interview experience?

Well, it was a 30minute interview. I was tired that day cause I got up at 5 in the morning to get to the interview in time, so that didn't help. Anyway, the interview started the way I mentioned before and then they asked me if I had identified any other potential research groups I would like to join. I said no because I had only looked at the groups working on malaria. The interviewers seemed very disappointed at my apparent lack of preparation.

They then asked me to summarize the scientific paper that I had to read for the interview. At this point I was really nervous and tired, so I was unable to explain the paper in any coherent way. My inability to do so made me even more nervous, creating a vicious circle. In the end it seemed like I didn't understand the paper.

We the went on to talk about my research experience which went decently well. They then asked me what I wish to do after I finish my PhD. I told them that I wish to do a post-doc and then apply for a lecturing position. This is where I started to spew stupid stuff again. I was asked what I would need to have to get there and I replied 'publications' :o. They looked surprised and asked me to explain. I simply said 'if you have enough publications you can get a faculty position anywhere. Of course the quality of the papers matters too'. They then asked how to judge the quality of a paper, to which I replied 'citations'. They then asked to get a good publication and I said 'good research'. They asked how to do good research and I said you need to be in the correct field... We then switched topic.... It is apparent to me now that they wanted me to say that you need to be hardworking and persevere to get a lecturing position.... I was being far too rational and in the end appeared to not really care about the science. It seemed like I looked down on the professors like they are only there because of their publications. I don't know why I spewed all of that stupid stuff... Anyway, at the end they asked if I had any questions, I said no and left. That was it. Done. Secured my rejection.   

Well, it was a 30minute interview. I was tired that day cause I got up at 5 in the morning to get to the interview in time, so that didn't help. Anyway, the interview started the way I mentioned before and then they asked me if I had identified any other potential research groups I would like to join. I said no because I had only looked at the groups working on malaria. The interviewers seemed very disappointed at my apparent lack of preparation.

They then asked me to summarize the scientific paper that I had to read for the interview. At this point I was really nervous and tired, so I was unable to explain the paper in any coherent way. My inability to do so made me even more nervous, creating a vicious circle. In the end it seemed like I didn't understand the paper.

We the went on to talk about my research experience which went decently well. They then asked me what I wish to do after I finish my PhD. I told them that I wish to do a post-doc and then apply for a lecturing position. This is where I started to spew stupid stuff again. I was asked what I would need to have to get there and I replied 'publications'  :o. They looked surprised and asked me to explain. I simply said 'if you have enough publications you can get a faculty position anywhere. Of course the quality of the papers matters too'. They then asked how to judge the quality of a paper, to which I replied 'citations'. They then asked to get a good publication and I said 'good research'. They asked how to do good research and I said you need to be in the correct field... We then switched topic.... It is apparent to me now that they wanted me to say that you need to be hardworking and persevere to get a lecturing position.... I was being far too rational and in the end appeared to not really care about the science. It seemed like I looked down on the professors like they are only there because of their publications. I don't know why I spewed all of that stupid stuff... Anyway, at the end they asked if I had any questions, I said no and left. That was it. Done. Secured my rejection.   

Thanks for sharing. There is always something to be learned from any interview, and I think everyone will get some ideas as to what to expect on the interviews from this. Good luck with UC Davis and the rest of your interviews.

Edited by Raerosk

We the went on to talk about my research experience which went decently well. They then asked me what I wish to do after I finish my PhD. I told them that I wish to do a post-doc and then apply for a lecturing position. This is where I started to spew stupid stuff again. I was asked what I would need to have to get there and I replied 'publications' :o. They looked surprised and asked me to explain. I simply said 'if you have enough publications you can get a faculty position anywhere. Of course the quality of the papers matters too'. They then asked how to judge the quality of a paper, to which I replied 'citations'. They then asked to get a good publication and I said 'good research'. They asked how to do good research and I said you need to be in the correct field... We then switched topic.... It is apparent to me now that they wanted me to say that you need to be hardworking and persevere to get a lecturing position.... I was being far too rational and in the end appeared to not really care about the science. It seemed like I looked down on the professors like they are only there because of their publications. I don't know why I spewed all of that stupid stuff... Anyway, at the end they asked if I had any questions, I said no and left. That was it. Done. Secured my rejection.   

Etern thanks for sharing your interview and your perspective.  I think it really depends on which faculty member you are talking too.  When I was talking to a faculty member they are wondering how can I balance my ambitions with doing research.  If I was planning to be in a R1 institution they expect publications  in high quality journals if not in a R1 then I don't have to worry about # of publications, citations, etc.  When I explain to him how the system works I actually got praised.  On the other hand it might be a good idea to stay with the hardworking and perseverance speech, unless you know the professor wouldn't want to hear that.

Edit: to Etern

Edited by knightrunner

Raerosk thanks for sharing your interview and your perspective.  I think it really depends on which faculty member you are talking too.  When I was talking to a faculty member they are wondering how can I balance my ambitions with doing research.  If I was planning to be in a R1 institution they expect publications  in high quality journals if not in a R1 then I don't have to worry about # of publications, citations, etc.  When I explain to him how the system works I actually got praised.  On the other hand it might be a good idea to stay with the hardworking and perseverance speech, unless you know the professor wouldn't want to hear that.

That was Etern

This is quite similar with my Penn State interview......"I spewed all of that stupid stuff. Secured my rejection."

That's exactly what I felt too!!!

Just got an email from Sloan-Kettering. Apparently all acceptances will be sent out sometime next week.

Good luck everyone!

Hm didn't get anything from them... bad sign? haha

Anybody here applies to UMD College Park, BSGP? I logged in to check the application status, and it is listed as complete. But they also say: "Decision information cannot be given out over the phone or in email correspondence." This pisses me off.

Anybody here applies to UMD College Park, BSGP? I logged in to check the application status, and it is listed as complete. But they also say: "Decision information cannot be given out over the phone or in email correspondence." This pisses me off.

UMD CP is notorious for waiting until March to send your acceptance or rejection via snail mail.

I don't know if they do. Sorry. I would guess that the late notification means no?

I second this. Like Mono says, applicants don't seem hear back until quite late in the game. Also, I've not heard mention of UMD CP extending interviews. You could ask the program, but they can't give you information via phone or email, so it wouldn't do a lot of good I suppose :) We'll just need to be patient.

Hey guys, I found a great blog post about what to ask biomed grad students during interview weekends. It's super useful, and definitely worth a read!

http://benjvincent.blogspot.com/2014/01/what-to-ask-biomedical-graduate.html

Hey guys, I found a great blog post about what to ask biomed grad students during interview weekends. It's super useful, and definitely worth a read!

http://benjvincent.blogspot.com/2014/01/what-to-ask-biomedical-graduate.html

Cool post! I saw most of this advice being followed at my first interview, but because the program was only a few years old, they didn't have 4+ year students, only 3 at the max. Next one I'll pay close attention to that.