2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

I emailed UMASS because I'm still waiting to hear back, and interviewed a few months ago. He said my application is still under consideration but the school has restrictions on how many offers they can send out at once so they need to wait for other offers to come back (meaning decline I bet). It makes sense since they are rolling admission. I'm not sure if this even means I'll get an offer if others start to decline but let me know if you got into UMASS Medical but aren't going!

I emailed UMASS because I'm still waiting to hear back, and interviewed a few months ago. He said my application is still under consideration but the school has restrictions on how many offers they can send out at once so they need to wait for other offers to come back (meaning decline I bet). It makes sense since they are rolling admission. I'm not sure if this even means I'll get an offer if others start to decline but let me know if you got into UMASS Medical but aren't going!

I sent in my decline response on Friday so hopefully you will receive some good news this coming week :)

That means you are on the waiting list

Someone in the results posted: "You people who were accepted into the biology program should go somewhere else. Portland is bad when it comes to that program." I'm guessing this person frequents this forum, why do you say this about the Portland program?

Just got accepted to the IMBS program of Baylor College of Medicine. Couldn't be happier! :)

Hey Lanit100, Congrats on the acceptance!! How did you like the interview weekend? Planning on attending BCM this fall?

Someone in the results posted: "You people who were accepted into the biology program should go somewhere else. Portland is bad when it comes to that program." I'm guessing this person frequents this forum, why do you say this about the Portland program?

Where is this? And which school/program?

Are you guys putting any weight on how much the program seems to like you?

I'm deciding between two schools:

-One just completely blew me away scientifically, and I also loved everybody that I met. There are lots of labs that I'm interested in at this school, and I really like the surrounding area. I didn't hear a peep from this school until I was accepted more than a month after my interview, and still haven't heard anything since receiving the generic acceptance email. I know some people who interviewed along side me received acceptances within a few days, and have been contacted by POIs since then.

-The other school, whose program is pretty equal as far as size, competitiveness, and brand name (they're actually tied in the recent us news), excited me less scientifically (although there are still more POIs than I could even rotate with). I also liked the town, and felt at home there. They accepted me two days after my interview, and PIs as well as students have been relentlessly contacting me trying to convince me to join their program and rotate in their labs.

Do you think this is just due to different recruiting strategies? I really want to go to the first school, but on the other hand I want to go where I am wanted. Maybe this is just the ol' impostor syndrome scaring me. Is anyone else facing a similar issue, or have any advice?

Are you guys putting any weight on how much the program seems to like you?

I'm deciding between two schools:

-One just completely blew me away scientifically, and I also loved everybody that I met. There are lots of labs that I'm interested in at this school, and I really like the surrounding area. I didn't hear a peep from this school until I was accepted more than a month after my interview, and still haven't heard anything since receiving the generic acceptance email. I know some people who interviewed along side me received acceptances within a few days, and have been contacted by POIs since then.

-The other school, whose program is pretty equal as far as size, competitiveness, and brand name (they're actually tied in the recent us news), excited me less scientifically (although there are still more POIs than I could even rotate with). I also liked the town, and felt at home there. They accepted me two days after my interview, and PIs as well as students have been relentlessly contacting me trying to convince me to join their program and rotate in their labs.

Do you think this is just due to different recruiting strategies? I really want to go to the first school, but on the other hand I want to go where I am wanted. Maybe this is just the ol' impostor syndrome scaring me. Is anyone else facing a similar issue, or have any advice?

If you got 9 interviews and 7 acceptances, you're what I would call an "all-star"! So I'm not surprised you're being recruited by the one place, plus being notified a few days after means you are a top pick for them. 

It depends on if you want opportunity that you may have to seize yourself (the first place), or more of a sense of camaraderie and support (the second place). Every program has different personalities (see the Harvard BBS v. MIT talk in this thread). What do you value more in a grad program?

Just emailed my POI at my top choice, which has promised to send out its responses within the next week, to find out if he knows my status yet. I would have just waited, except that the programs where I'm accepted want answers soon. I also want things settled so I can withdraw from anywhere I'm not attending and free up the spot for the next person on the list. We'll see if he emails me back!

Hey sunpenguin, I noticed you committed to a program that wasn't Harvard OEB, did you ever hear anything back from them? I've at least had some communication with every other program I've applied to, but it has been radio silence from OEB. Congrats on making your decision!!! What a relief that must be! 

I just visited UConn and now I'm incredibly confused... Augh.

I was accepted to UCONN as well and unfortunately my visit interview date was cancelled due to the snow, so I had to do a skype interview. Did UCONN fund your recent visit?

I was accepted to UCONN as well and unfortunately my visit interview date was cancelled due to the snow, so I had to do a skype interview. Did UCONN fund your recent visit?

I visited the MCB program and they didn't. I'm lucky I love close enough to visit for a day. Apparently they do recruitment weekend but because of a miscommunication with the graduate school not everyone gets invited. Did you interview for MCB?

Got antsy, contacted my last program. Wait-listed. Can't tell yet if this makes my decision easier or harder. -.-

Did they give you any indication of whether they're likely to admit from the waitlist and how high your name is on the list? I'm waitlisted one place but they said that some years they don't get to admit from the waitlist at all and so far this year is shaping up to be one of those years...so that's when I went ahead and very happily accepted BU's offer.

I visited the MCB program and they didn't. I'm lucky I love close enough to visit for a day. Apparently they do recruitment weekend but because of a miscommunication with the graduate school not everyone gets invited. Did you interview for MCB?

I applied and was accepted to the Department of Immunology. I was invited to the recruitment weekend a long while back but it was cancelled due to weather so most of us had to skype interview.

Edited by toxicgirl

Did they give you any indication of whether they're likely to admit from the waitlist and how high your name is on the list? I'm waitlisted one place but they said that some years they don't get to admit from the waitlist at all and so far this year is shaping up to be one of those years...so that's when I went ahead and very happily accepted BU's offer.

They didn't say my position on the wait-list, but they did say there were a lot of people on it. Overall, the tone of the email wasn't overtly optimistic. :/

That's okay though, pretty stoked about my other option! :D

Happy to see the end of the tunnel for all these grad app shenanigans.

Edited by pyrocide

It seems to be dead here lately. Has everyone pretty much decided where they are going? I am still waiting to hear back from 3 of my schools post interview and feel that I am nowhere near making a decision...

Same here, still waiting on 1 school post interview. Even though I've pretty much decided where to go I'm also waiting for a couple acceptance packets to come in the mail so I can decline offers with their official forms, haha.

Still waiting on MIT Biology... Has anyone received acceptances or any news after 5 PM? I just need an answer from MIT so I can finalize think better about my decision. 

I may be posting one of those annoying pro/con lists soon asking what you guys think... Haha.

Hey ERR_Mocha, I'm seeing that you applied to Tufts ISP... did you ever hear back from them?  I got total radio silence after an obligatory "we're reviewing your application" email in January, so it's been a bit frustrating, since they have been so quiet.  Curious to know what your experience has been.

That brutal moment when you email a program you're waiting to hear from and they respond right back with a rejection email.

Edited by ss2player