2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Waiting to fly to Dallas for UTSW interview. It's my first ever interview and im trying to relax myself and prepare for a nice weekend talking science and trying not to worry about grilling!

Are you making it out there okay?  My flight was cancelled and so now I'm waiting for my re-scheduled route to begin.  

And just got called by Austin for another rejection.  Come on Einstein, papa needs a new pair of shoes!

I'm sorry to hear that...  which program did you apply at UT Austin?

I still havent heard from CMB program at UT Austin yet.  and I think their second interview weekend starts from today...  I dont know whats going on.

I'm sorry to hear that...  which program did you apply at UT Austin?

I still havent heard from CMB program at UT Austin yet.  and I think their second interview weekend starts from today...  I dont know whats going on.

CMB.  They have a few Skype interviews left, but I highly recommend calling Tom Atchity to get an update, he's the guy who I've been talking to the whole time.

Nice guy too, he's willing to help me out if I apply next year.

CMB.  They have a few Skype interviews left, but I highly recommend calling Tom Atchity to get an update, he's the guy who I've been talking to the whole time.

Nice guy too, he's willing to help me out if I apply next year.

Ok thanks, I will try it now and see if I could get in touch with him.

Are you making it out there okay? My flight was cancelled and so now I'm waiting for my re-scheduled route to begin.

Yikes! Thankfully I had no problems getting to Dallas. Hope you make it in all right

If you email a program to ask whether you will receive an interview or are rejected and they reply to you that you will be hearing a "decision" very soon, can you pretty much say that is a rejection? :o

I ask because I've never heard anyone use the term decision for interview invitations, but I have heard them use it obviously for rejections. You guys agree?

Sorry to hear that. I am a bit confused. I am sorry can you elaborate. Are they done extending interviews?

Oh no, they are rolling admissions, it's just that my application was denied.

Oh no, they are rolling admissions, it's just that my application was denied.

So sorry to hear. Fingers crossed that Einstein will come through for you. My PI says all one needs is one door to open, one person to give one a chance. Don't lose hope and good luck!

Anyone interviewing/interviewed at UCLA Access/BSP already? In the itinerary it lists a set of interviews (4), for me 3/4 of these are people who I didn't express interest in my application.  However, I'm assuming from the fact that there are only 4 interviews listed on the schedule that these are people I am personally scheduled to interview with.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

And just got called by Austin for another rejection.  Come on Einstein, papa needs a new pair of shoes!

Good Luck! I decided not to apply to Einstein even though they spammed me with emails.  I'm sure you'll do great!

Anyone interviewing/interviewed at UCLA Access/BSP already? In the itinerary it lists a set of interviews (4), for me 3/4 of these are people who I didn't express interest in my application.  However, I'm assuming from the fact that there are only 4 interviews listed on the schedule that these are people I am personally scheduled to interview with.  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes.  A lot of the time, a POI may not be available to do interviews on a given weekend.  Also, they try to have at least one interviewer on the admissions committee.  I wouldn't worry too much about it, because your interviewers don't determine what labs you could be in once you actually enroll.  When I was at University of Rochester, I had an interviewer that was running late and they subbed someone in, and I had an interviewer that had to cancel a few days before, so I got someone that I knew nothing about their research.  As long as you know your own work and can carry on a scientific conversation you will do great.  Make the best of it!

So sorry to hear. Fingers crossed that Einstein will come through for you. My PI says all one needs is one door to open, one person to give one a chance. Don't lose hope and good luck!

Good Luck! I decided not to apply to Einstein even though they spammed me with emails.  I'm sure you'll do great!

Thanks guys!  Good luck to you both.

If you email a program to ask whether you will receive an interview or are rejected and they reply to you that you will be hearing a "decision" very soon, can you pretty much say that is a rejection? :o

I ask because I've never heard anyone use the term decision for interview invitations, but I have heard them use it obviously for rejections. You guys agree?

Boston U did the same thing to me three weeks ago... Still nothing. I've stopped trying to speculate haha.

I agree with MackF, it's really about you being able to talk about YOU! Use your intelligence to connect with them. Ask a question to sound like you care. But at this point can't forget it's not 100% and there is a little bit of selling you need to do.

My hardest interview question was " you know we only accept 2 out of every 3 we interview, so why should I advocate the committee for you ?" ....let me tell you it's a tough question to be out on the spot, luckily I have an answer- because I care enough. Do you have enough to convince someone that you do ?

But be prepared for these crazy ones! You need to answer right now questions.

BU PiBS final interview is this Monday. Other than that, I have no special insight to how they selected interviewees or admits, though I will say that current students definitely have a voice in who's picked. So be nice!

I emailed Natasha three weeks ago if all the interviews had gone out and she said I'd be hearing "shortly" with no information about whether not getting an interview means not getting in or anything. Confusion! Haha.

Nothing is more fun than getting rejected from the two programs you were really interested in - within 24 hours of each other. Northwestern DGP and Duke MGM. -_____-

Preach.  Maybe Einstein will be our saving grace?

I emailed Natasha three weeks ago if all the interviews had gone out and she said I'd be hearing "shortly" with no information about whether not getting an interview means not getting in or anything. Confusion! Haha.

After writing to the director of the BU PiBS program, Dr. Cruikshank he replied on Jan 13th with similar ambiguous answer.

"We are in the process of evaluating approximately 500 applications. Those students who we feel will be a good fit for our program will be contacted to set up interviews. Hopefully you will be included in that group. Thanks very much for your interest in PiBS and best of luck with the review process."

So anybody can make out anything from it?

I also called Natasha yesterday and asked her straight up whether they wait until all decisions has been made to send out the rejections or do they send as it comes; her answer was the latter, they send it as it comes. But I havent seen any BU PiBS rejection yet this year. I am so confused about BU.