2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Preach.  Maybe Einstein will be our saving grace?

Einstein is not too far from my Undergrad campus - I know one of my classmates just had an interview, and another has one in a few weeks. I have heard of people having interviews at Einstein in March! I don't care if I am the last person they interview, that wont matter in a few years! LOL

Einstein is not too far from my Undergrad campus - I know one of my classmates just had an interview, and another has one in a few weeks. I have heard of people having interviews at Einstein in March! I don't care if I am the last person they interview, that wont matter in a few years! LOL

Exactly!

After writing to the director of the BU PiBS program, Dr. Cruikshank he replied on Jan 13th with similar ambiguous answer.

"We are in the process of evaluating approximately 500 applications. Those students who we feel will be a good fit for our program will be contacted to set up interviews. Hopefully you will be included in that group. Thanks very much for your interest in PiBS and best of luck with the review process."

So anybody can make out anything from it?

I also called Natasha yesterday and asked her straight up whether they wait until all decisions has been made to send out the rejections or do they send as it comes; her answer was the latter, they send it as it comes. But I havent seen any BU PiBS rejection yet this year. I am so confused about BU.

I'm assuming that if we don't have an interview at this point it means no. I have no idea why they won't just say that! Unless they're afraid a lot of people will turn them down post interview and they're keeping us on some sort of imaginary wait list.

Coming as someone who knows a lot of people that have applied to Einstein over the years, I have noticed that a fair-share of the ones that are accepted, choose not to attend. THERE'S HOPE FOR US.

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!

I notice that lots of people in the discussion board are applying to Einstein  just wondering what special in their program that get attention from so many of you?

They're a Nathan Shock Center for excellence in aging research, exactly what I'm interested in.

I notice that lots of people in the discussion board are applying to Einstein  just wondering what special in their program that get attention from so many of you?

I know a few of the current grad students in Einstein, in various different departments and I have only heard amazing things about it. They have a quite flexible outlook on graduate studies, which is what I like about the program.

Yes, I'm hoping to be that third round of interviews.  There is still hope.

If we all get interviews at Einstein in march, I'm buying you both drinks.  It would just be too incredible.

What summer internships are you looking into?  I recently applied to the German DAAD RISE Pro biotech one.

If we all get interviews at Einstein in march, I'm buying you both drinks.  It would just be too incredible.

What summer internships are you looking into?  I recently applied to the German DAAD RISE Pro biotech one.

Agreed ! A toast to our rejections! I am crossing my fingers for this last round. I will pray to the bacteriophages! AHAH corny jokes are settling my nerves, sorry you all need to deal with them.

I am starting to look for Master's programs as well.

Agreed ! A toast to our rejections! I am crossing my fingers for this last round. I will pray to the bacteriophages! AHAH corny jokes are settling my nerves, sorry you all need to deal with them.

I am starting to look for Master's programs as well.

Gotcha.  I've been contacting the grad coordinators of programs that rejected me and asking what I should do to improve my application.  They're all pretty nice about it too, really helpful.

Sweet, that is something to party about if that happens!!! I'll be looking forward to those drinks.

I applied to the Vienna Biocenter in Austria.  I guess I'll figure out which lab assuming I get picked.  

Sweet, that is something to party about if that happens!!! I'll be looking forward to those drinks.

I applied to the Vienna Biocenter in Austria.  I guess I'll figure out which lab assuming I get picked.  

Neat.  I'm looking for more in the meantime.

Question here...

I was waitlisted for Vanderbilt's IGP after my interview a couple of weeks ago, which basically means that my application is still in the pile that they're considering for now. Is there anything I can be doing to help my chances at this point? I did pretty well in my classes last semester and made the dean's list (w/2 graduate courses and 3 400 level) so I was thinking about sending them an updated transcript. I'm also planning on sending them a thank you/follow up note to make sure they know I'm still very interested. I'm worried about coming off as too pushy to the adcom...thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Question here...

I was waitlisted for Vanderbilt's IGP after my interview a couple of weeks ago, which basically means that my application is still in the pile that they're considering for now. Is there anything I can be doing to help my chances at this point? I did pretty well in my classes last semester and made the dean's list (w/2 graduate courses and 3 400 level) so I was thinking about sending them an updated transcript. I'm also planning on sending them a thank you/follow up note to make sure they know I'm still very interested. I'm worried about coming off as too pushy to the adcom...thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Do it! As long as you're not calling/emailing every half hour I think it's hard to be pushy. Definitely reach out to the program coordinator, the people you interviewed with, and any POIs to reaffirm your interest in (and sincere enthusiasm) for the program. One of the scientists at the company I currently work for got into grad school this way - I know that's just anecdotal, but there's no harm in trying. And sending the updated transcript is a good idea too.

Question here...

Thanks for the help!

"Thank you" emails are sort of must-do thing nowadays.  I did that to all the faculty members with whom I interviewed and also program coordinator and interacted students.

and I agree that sending out any new "positive" documents to support your application would improve your app.

Edited by Science_Nerd

Interesting thing here: while at Dartmouth, a grad student came up to me and said that a certain professor really wanted to meet me but couldn't. Very interesting! I'm thinking maybe he knows one of my PIs? I'm emailing him now. Never heard for this kind of thing happening... especially since I can't find a school or research connection to my PIs/research.

Hope everyone else's interviews are going well!