2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Hey guys

There must be some lurking plant biology guys and if so, I hope you guys share some information together! 

FYI,

1. UW Madison Plant Breeding and Genetics have sent invitations and the final decision will make by March 1st. This is their e-mail answer to my question.   

2. UT Austin is still processing applications. They said they would plan to make most decisions next couple of weeks.

3. Cornell will make final decision after visiting weekend(Feb. 20-23). 

"Application is still under review. Please keep in mind this is a competitive program and we received a high volume of applications. If you have concerns, you may email the director. As he will inform you, your application is under review."

What. Thanks BU PiBS! So helpful! ...not

Anyone have any idea what this actually means?

"Application is still under review. Please keep in mind this is a competitive program and we received a high volume of applications. If you have concerns, you may email the director. As he will inform you, your application is under review."

What. Thanks BU PiBS! So helpful! ...not

Anyone have any idea what this actually means?

Haha that BU PiBS email sounds veiled with hostility. They must be getting a lot of inquiry emails.

Haha that BU PiBS email sounds veiled with hostility. They must be getting a lot of inquiry emails.

My email I sent them was veiled in hostility as well haha.

"I understand that the two interview dates have passed for PiBS. I was wondering if my application was still being considered or if an interview is required for admission.

Thank you."

She didn't mention most of my questions -_-

Mount Sinai has still 2 rounds of interviews. I was assured that this is still early in the season and they may send out invites next week for the next round.

- There is still hope for Sinai :)

What did he say? Are they playing with us ?

You have made my day. How did you find this out?

BTW, I totally read that in his voice in my head.

I called Marleen in PhD Admissions and she said the committee is still looking over some applications, so yeah, still a chance!

I did too, lol

I just called Salvatore, and apparently I'm on a "hold" for an interview for March if either enough people decline interviews or if they decide to add one for me.

O_______________________O

Good luck on that! I'm pretty sure someone may decline and you will get a chance. I don't know if he would give me info on my application. 

I just called Salvatore, and apparently I'm on a "hold" for an interview for March if either enough people decline interviews or if they decide to add one for me.

O_______________________O

Did you explain your situation? Maybe if you said if you got an interview you'd be a pretty much guaranteed acceptance? That may work in your favor.

For those waiting on Stony Brooks Molecular and Cell Bio program, I just called and they said that they are still reviewing applications. I am pretty sure that Einstein and Stony Brook will be the death of me.

Not for Stony Brook Genetics since I called Kate and she said all invitation for interviews had sent out for Genetics program (MCB is still reviewing)

Did you explain your situation? Maybe if you said if you got an interview you'd be a pretty much guaranteed acceptance? That may work in your favor.

I didn't really, would it be a good idea to say that?  What should I say, that they're my top choice? 

Good luck on that! I'm pretty sure someone may decline and you will get a chance. I don't know if he would give me info on my application. 

Thanks!  What do you think about what ERR_Alpha said?  Should I tell them I would absolutely attend if offered a spot?

Thanks! What do you think about what ERR_Alpha said? Should I tell them I would absolutely attend if offered a spot?

Yes. It won't hurt your chances for sure. Say reasons like it is the best fit for what you want (research and program) and you have other offers (you are not desperate but genuinely interested)

Edited by T.J

I didn't really, would it be a good idea to say that?  What should I say, that they're my top choice? 

If I were in your place and wanted to let them know they were my top choice, I'd keep it simple enough that it comes across as a polite reply, something like, "Thanks! This is my top-choice program, so I'll be looking forward to hearing from you." That way you're letting them know, but not depending on it as leverage.

Edited by sunpenguin

If I were in your place and wanted to let them know they were my top choice, I'd keep it simple enough that it comes across as a polite reply, something like, "Thanks! This is my top-choice program, so I'll be looking forward to hearing from you." That way you're letting them know, but not depending on it as leverage.

Yes. It won't hurt your chances for sure. Say reasons like it is the best fit for what you want (research and program) and you have other offers (you are not desperate but genuinely interested)

I talked to him over the phone, so should I just email him this?

In my opinion, No, you should not mention any other schools in your email.

They're not other schools, just fellowships for funding PhD's wherever I go for graduate school.