2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

For those who went to Harvard BBS 1st interview weekend. How many faculty people did you have interviews with? 

Thanks!

Everyone had 4 faculty interviews, ranging from 30-45 min each. They were pretty informal and relaxed... on the schedule it actually said "meetings" instead of "interviews", and none of mine felt like interviews!

Edited by BostonBio153

I totally understand how you're feeling. I just got rejected from Irvine today, which came as a surprise because I thought the visit went really well. It doesn't feel super great to be rejected from one of your safer schools. And I really liked the campus and the program so major disappointment.

Sorry to Hear that. I got wait listed there myself, but I don't think I have much hope for getting bumped into an acceptance. Seems like the competition was really tough this year and spots were very limited. 

For those who went to Harvard BBS 1st interview weekend. How many faculty people did you have interviews with? 

Thanks!

I met with 4 faculty members. Strangely enough, three of those were 45 minutes long, the fourth was scheduled for 30 minutes. I didn't get any information about who I'd be meeting with until I arrived on campus (actually kind of nice, since they can't expect too much in the way of interview prep).

I'm interviewing at UCONN this weekend, flight just got cancelled...

have you heard back from baylor immuno? I interviewed last weekend and haven't heard anything. Emailed the director of the program and got no response...think I'm looking at a rejection at this point. 

I've decided to switch my PI at my top choice university and I feel horribly about it. I like the 1st PI, but the 2nd one fits my research interests better. I've been emailing the new PI to figure out logistics and now I have to tell the 1st PI that I won't be joining his lab. It's especially awkward because the 1st PI helped me with my NSF GRFP application. Ugh. Does anyone have experience with this kind of situation?

have you heard back from baylor immuno? I interviewed last weekend and haven't heard anything. Emailed the director of the program and got no response...think I'm looking at a rejection at this point. 

I haven't heard back either but I interviewed two weekends ago. I am getting a bit nervous myself. They said they make most of their decisions after everyone interviews though, because they only accept 4-5 people total. So it makes sense no one has heard back yet. I haven't called or emailed after I sent out all my thank you emails...I am a little too scared to call and ask. I thought I would have already heard back by now...

I've decided to switch my PI at my top choice university and I feel horribly about it. I like the 1st PI, but the 2nd one fits my research interests better. I've been emailing the new PI to figure out logistics and now I have to tell the 1st PI that I won't be joining his lab. It's especially awkward because the 1st PI helped me with my NSF GRFP application. Ugh. Does anyone have experience with this kind of situation?

Are you going to do rotations or do you have to pick a lab before you start?

I got same question.

I think there are pretty much similar posts already available.

But can't remember proper answer.

By the way, this is the reason why I prefer rotation system.

I have gone through horrible master course and I won't choose the lab by internet search and their publication. I must see how the lab atmosphere is and PI is talking and acting....

Edited by nermah1

I feel sorry for your tough decision and your 1st PI.  Hopefully, your first PI will not take it personally and has a backbone.  I would probably write a grand email saying how helpful they are and you wish all PI were like this.

Is it uncommon to not hear from UMASS right away? I got back from my interview on Saturday and heard they have a pretty fast turnaround. It's only been 3 days, but I am clearly getting impatient!

I also interviewed for immunology at UMASS worcester, I believe we were at the same recruiting weekend. I'm getting anxious too...

I also interviewed for immunology at UMASS worcester, I believe we were at the same recruiting weekend. I'm getting anxious too...

Did you get a good sense at the interview when they would be letting us know? I was sure we would be hearing by as soon as Tuesday, and still nothing. I received some really positive emails in response to my thank you emails, such as "In my eyes, you are a complete yes". I may have gotten my hopes up too soon! I am getting very anxious.

You too! I feel like they're telling the international students first for some reason.

I need to stay off this website...

A friend of mine interviewed on the first recruitment weekend and she was accepted this week. They may just be telling people from the first weekend. They might not have gotten to yours yet.

Did anyone get an invite for Columbia's March interview? (bio sciences program) I just got a missed call from NY and I thought it was from Columbia so I called back and guess what, it was an autocaller trying to sell me a house loll

does anyone have suggestions for how to write an appropriate and short follow-up thank you email to my interviewers? every time I try, it comes out really cutesy or too try-hard...

Here's a sample one that I've written:

Dear ________ (usually first name of PI),

Thank you so much for taking the time yesterday to meet with me and discuss the _______ program. I had a great time visiting the program and am excited about the opportunity to do innovative and clinically relevant research, especially in the field of _______!

I really enjoyed chatting with you about your research on ________ and about my research on __________. Thank you also for taking the time to answer my questions about the program in general, especially in regards to the ____________.

Hope you have a great weekend/week/day!

Sincerely,
BostonBio

Hooray,  I just received a phone call that I got accepted to Penn State Hershey!  

2 interviews and 2 acceptances so far!  Ive got 2 more interviews, so I wanna keep up this trend!

Congrats. I got into hershey too. good luck with others!