2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Here's a sample one that I've written:

Dear ________ (usually first name of PI),

Thank you so much for taking the time yesterday to meet with me and discuss the _______ program. I had a great time visiting the program and am excited about the opportunity to do innovative and clinically relevant research, especially in the field of _______!

I really enjoyed chatting with you about your research on ________ and about my research on __________. Thank you also for taking the time to answer my questions about the program in general, especially in regards to the ____________.

Hope you have a great weekend/week/day!

Sincerely,
BostonBio

Thanks! I'm so bad at writing non-cheesy sounding follow-ups

I've decided to switch my PI at my top choice university and I feel horribly about it. I like the 1st PI, but the 2nd one fits my research interests better. I've been emailing the new PI to figure out logistics and now I have to tell the 1st PI that I won't be joining his lab. It's especially awkward because the 1st PI helped me with my NSF GRFP application. Ugh. Does anyone have experience with this kind of situation?

If the 2nd one fits your interests better, I'd focus on that when telling the 1st PI (but thank him for the help with the GRFP), so you don't have to get into any of the other dynamics that might have actually motivated you to switch.

Believe it or not I got an interview with KGI  Tuesday :) for Masters.  This may not be ideal, but now I got something to report to people instead of the declining letters I have been receiving.

Congratulations! That's still a step towards what you want right? Take it as a great thing.

Has anyone who interviewed with Princeton QCB heard back yet? 

I haven't. The grad student I talked to said it would take a week or two after the visit for them to sent out decisions.

Hi All,

I would really appreciate if anyone (specially international applicants) has any opinion on the following. So I received an email from the international center of one of the Universities I applied to. It said "You are receiving this letter because we are missing the required documents needed to generate the I-20/DS-2019 for your student visa"; it also mentions "This correspondence is not meant to serve as an indication of admission. An official letter from the Office of Admissions regarding the decision made on your application will be mailed separately."

Note: I still didn't hear anything from this or any other U, neither been interviewed yet. All international students out there with previous experience of attending school in USA probably know an I-20 is issued only after admission is granted. Now I can't be sure what it is. I can't be happy about it yet either, but I want to be happy. And the office doesn't open until 2 hours. Anyone has any insight please share.

Thank you!

Contact graduate admissions in the department you applied to and ask if you were indeed accepted.

Hi All,

I would really appreciate if anyone (specially international applicants) has any opinion on the following. So I received an email from the international center of one of the Universities I applied to. It said "You are receiving this letter because we are missing the required documents needed to generate the I-20/DS-2019 for your student visa"; it also mentions "This correspondence is not meant to serve as an indication of admission. An official letter from the Office of Admissions regarding the decision made on your application will be mailed separately."

Note: I still didn't hear anything from this or any other U, neither been interviewed yet. All international students out there with previous experience of attending school in USA probably know an I-20 is issued only after admission is granted. Now I can't be sure what it is. I can't be happy about it yet either, but I want to be happy. And the office doesn't open until 2 hours. Anyone has any insight please share.

Thank you!

First official rejection from Brown EEB dept. Emailed to check website and got a really generic rejection letter. No real big surprise there since I hadn't heard anything yet.

I'm assuming UO Ecology is reject as well.

Oh well, at least I have an interview at my top choice - even if it is delayed for a few days due to flight cancellations.

Acceptances to Cornell & Michigan :) ... So what are you guys doing to decline acceptances to schools. Do you email the department to thank them for the opportunity, but you chose not to go to the program? Or just decline and move on?

Acceptances to Cornell & Michigan :) ... So what are you guys doing to decline acceptances to schools. Do you email the department to thank them for the opportunity, but you chose not to go to the program? Or just decline and move on?

A nice thank you letter won't hurt since you may have chances to apply those programs again (who knows?) or see those people in other situations (i.e. conferences, collaborations, etc.). So decline the offer and send them a nice thank you letter. (They know not all the students will accept the offers, that's why they also have a waitlist). 

I got an email yesterday from the department chair of a university that doesn't hold formal interviews, but I talked with a POI there in December. The department chair says the lab of that POI might suit me, but he also wants to know if I'm interested in the work in his lab as well. His projects sound really interesting and right up my alley, so I wrote back and told him yes, I'm interested. This is definitely encouraging, but it's unexpected. I haven't heard from the first POI lately, but from the dept. chair's email, it sounds like they both may still be interested.