2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Who did you call? I can't reach anybody over there.

Salvatore... I hope he is not going to be too mad at me to post his name here. Edited by T.J

Thanks.  Just wondering if I should have heard from them by now or if they waited to send out acceptances/wait list/rejects until after the final interview.

I was just at the second interview date for BU PiBS. They said they gave out some acceptances to the best but for the majority, were waiting to decide all together with the second batch of people. They have 107 people to sort through total and are looking for an incoming class of ~20.. so it's going to be probably in 2 weeks or so...someone told me the goal was to have them done by March 1st. Hope this helps.

Edited by persimmony

Ah. 

Damnit.  Guess there's next year.

Im sorry to bear the bad news. Call him if you can to confirm again - dont take my word. Take break and re apply and diversify your application. 

I have a feeling i will get a reject from Mt. Sinai as well. 

I was just at the second interview date for BU PiBS. They said they gave out some acceptances to the best but for the majority, were waiting to decide all together with the second batch of people. They have 107 people to sort through total and are looking for an incoming class of ~20.. so it's going to be probably in 2 weeks or so...someone told me the goal was to have them done by March 1st. Hope this helps.

I wonder when they'll reject me? I've been so frustrated with them this whole time.

Im sorry to bear the bad news. Call him if you can to confirm again - dont take my word. Take break and re apply and diversify your application. 

I have a feeling i will get a reject from Mt. Sinai as well. 

I'll give it a try in a few minutes, thanks for calling though.

Thanks for the info.  Definitely helps!  I feel a little bit more at ease then (but only a fraction, lol).

Edited by funkydays

On 2/11/2014 at 4:41 PM, IncretinEffect33 said:

Accepted to WashU DBBS - MCB track!!! :D Yahoooo! A total top choice after visiting St. Louis!

If you don't mind me asking, which WashU interview weekend did you attend? Was the notification by phone or e-mail?

On 2/11/2014 at 5:22 PM, anan652 said:

If you don't mind me asking, which WashU interview weekend did you attend? Was the notification by phone or e-mail?

I visited January 23-25, and I received a phone call from one of the faculty members I interviewed with there. She said that I'll receive an email tomorrow with official details.

It was not my intention to send any 'thank you' emails. It wasn't until after my interviews did I reconsider thinking it wouldn't hurt. The night after my interviews I sent emails to all my interviewers (8) thanking them for their time. I also added specifics about our interview for a personal touch and indicated if accepted, my desire to possibly rotate in their labs No more than 8 lines. By 8 the following morning i received 3 emails thanking me for the follow-up, and one informing me they recommend that I be accepted. (I was accepted with full funding). I also sent emails to the grad students that I spent the most time with because they are the adcom's eyes and ears at the student only gatherings. Their opinion of you counts as well. They advised me who's labs to steer clear of and which PIs genuinely care for their students. Also, should I choose to attend these people will become my family of sorts so it's great to already have a rapport with your future cohorts.

A thank you email will not help your application in the slightest but it is the polite thing to do.

Anyone else worried about snow-induced flight chaos this weekend?

Yup. I'm trying to get out of Baltimore. Definitely not gonna happen. I already tried to rebook through the travel agent and all flights booked tomorrow. So my only hope is ......rain

I visited January 23-25, and I received a phone call from one of the faculty members I interviewed with there. She said that I'll receive an email tomorrow with official details.

Thanks! :) I just got an unofficial acceptance, too! Guess I was getting too antsy, but I'm ecstatic!

On 2/11/2014 at 4:41 PM, IncretinEffect33 said:

Accepted to WashU DBBS - MCB track!!! :D Yahoooo! A total top choice after visiting St. Louis!

On 2/11/2014 at 6:28 PM, anan652 said:

Thanks!  :) I just got an unofficial acceptance, too! Guess I was getting too antsy, but I'm ecstatic!

Congrats!!! Hope we see you in the Fall  :D

Does anyone know if UVA BIMS is still sending out invites? I emailed the BIMS department but no answer.

E-mailing them pretty much gets you nowhere. I would call them.

*I e-mailed them before and was told my e-mail was forwarded to someone else (the person handling the disciplines I indicated?). She never e-mailed me back, so I called. I told her my e-mail was supposed to be forwarded to her, but she said she never received it. I told her I'd just e-mail her again directly. She didn't get back to me, but a faculty member called me and extended an interview offer.

Edited by anan652