2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Do it! As long as you're not calling/emailing every half hour I think it's hard to be pushy. Definitely reach out to the program coordinator, the people you interviewed with, and any POIs to reaffirm your interest in (and sincere enthusiasm) for the program. One of the scientists at the company I currently work for got into grad school this way - I know that's just anecdotal, but there's no harm in trying. And sending the updated transcript is a good idea too.

"Thank you" emails are sort of must-do thing nowadays.  I did that to all the faculty members with whom I interviewed and also program coordinator and interacted students.

and I agree that sending out any new "positive" documents to support your application would improve your app.

Thank you both! I'll get my things together and send them out over the weekend.

I interviewed 2 weeks ago at Harvard SysBio and I really loved the program and faculty there. They are my very top choice (and so far maybe the only one).

Should I email the faculty with whom I interviewed??? I don’t want to be pushy, although I have already send a “thank you” email to the program coordinator.

Edited by Sylvia88

I interviewed 2 weeks ago at Harvard SysBio and I really loved the program and faculty there. They are my very top choice (and so far maybe the only one).

Should I email the faculty with whom I interviewed??? I don’t want to be pushy, although I have already send a “thank you” email to the program coordinator.

I would totally email them!

When I emailed to faculty at my last interview, one of them actually responded saying that he enjoyed the conversation and hoping that the program would offer me an admission.  In a time like this, knowing how exactly the interviews went from their perspectives helps anticipating the future. I think :)

Anyone know if UTSW, UT Houston, Tufts Sackler, and Vanderbilt IGP are done sending on invites? Thanks!

Spoke to Tufts Sackler last week, they were just about to have their interviews and they said give them two weeks for "more news"

Spoke to Tufts Sackler last week, they were just about to have their interviews and they said give them two weeks for "more news"

I talked to a woman over the weekend who got an interview from Tufts Sackler ISP and she said she got an interview offer but hadn't scheduled yet. Not very helpful but it's something.

Anyone know if UTSW, UT Houston, Tufts Sackler, and Vanderbilt IGP are done sending on invites? Thanks!

On 1/31, was told that Vanderbilt IGP is still reviewing applications.

On 2/6, was told that we should hear back next week from UT Houston (very vague answer though).

Of course, sometimes you can't take their emails literally. I'm sure some of those vague emails are just them buying time or being too busy. Hope that helps. Good luck to you!

ERR_Alpha (slash everyone), are you sending thank-yous to everyone you interviewed with, or just ones that you feel went particularly well / who you made a real connection with / etc? Anyway, I'm sure that all the little things that you think you 'messed up' are looming about 100x larger in your own mind than in your interviewers' :) 

I might be in the minority here, but I haven't sent any thank you emails and don't plan to. I'm not sure whether this will negatively impact my chances -- I'm 1/1 on post-interview acceptances, but that's obviously too small a sample size. I'll be interested to see anecdotal evidence from here about whether this seems to change anything. Just wanted to put this out there, since I pretty much panicked when I first heard that people do this (before thinking about it and deciding that I don't want to) and want others to know that there's at least one person out there who doesn't (: 

Edited by elanorci

ERR_Alpha (slash everyone), are you sending thank-yous to everyone you interviewed with, or just ones that you feel went particularly well / who you made a real connection with / etc? Anyway, I'm sure that all the little things that you think you 'messed up' are looming about 100x larger in your own mind than in your interviewers' :)

I might be in the minority here, but I haven't sent any thank you emails and don't plan to. I'm not sure whether this will negatively impact my chances -- I'm 1/1 on post-interview acceptances, but that's obviously too small a sample size. I'll be interested to see anecdotal evidence from here about whether this seems to change anything. Just wanted to put this out there, since I pretty much panicked when I first heard that people do this (before thinking about it and deciding that I don't want to) and want others to know that there's at least one person out there who doesn't (: 

I emailed all of them (I interviewed with five). I had something different for each of them. The program at Dartmouth is fairly small so I figured it couldn't hurt to reach out to them all. Also, I interviewed with two faculty who share a lab so I couldn't email one and not the other! Haha.

Also, I've only had two interviews and I preferred Dartmouth by a long shot. I really want them to know how much I liked the program. They also told us who was on the committee, which included two of my interviewers, so I definitely wanted to reach out to them!

Most of the professors also encouraged me to email them if I had any questions, so I didn't feel uncomfortable.

I didn't do any of this for Penn State (probably because I didn't like it as much...) I would just use your best judgment.

I don't think that thank you emails are necessary, and they won't impact your chances at all. Most of the PIs are asked to fill out your interview evaluations pretty soon after they talk with you, so by the time they get your thank you email the next day, they've already submitted their eval of you.

I sent emails to PIs who I would be interested in rotating with, but other than that, it's not necessary and shouldn't have any effect on your acceptance chances.

I do it mainly out of etiquette. I was taught to always be courteous and send a thank you/follow-up, as well as be dressed professionally (I was that guy in a suit). 

As a bonus, I've had some replies telling me I was a very strong candidate and asking if there was anything the professor could do to sell the school/program to me. That eases my mind and is well worth the 5 mins/email, especially for those of us who are not BostonBio-like all stars. :)