2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Oh sorry, I just glanced at your post and didn't fully read it. I still wouldn't mention it - but let's see what other people think!

No problem, thanks for the advice though.

In my opinion, No, you should not mention any other schools in your email.

These are external funding sources, not other schools, so it can only be a plus for the school to know that an applicant has taken the initiative to apply for external funding. 

As for whether you should email to follow up on the phone call, tcmazer, I think it depends on whether you feel a thank-you email following up the call would be appropriate even if you didn't have further information to share. If you were on the other end of the call in this situation, would you appreciate a quick, "thanks for the call" email? If so, go ahead, and certainly let them know they're your top choice and that you're waiting for the results of grant apps. If the phone call felt perfectly self-contained and an email seems like overkill, I would just wait. Only you can make that call.

I talked to him over the phone, so should I just email him this?

I think email would be good. Refer to the phone conversation and the news he shares with you.

I think email would be good. Refer to the phone conversation and the news he shares with you.

Oh, sorry, I see you two already discussed this.   :)

Ok, I think I'm going to email him, including the fellowship applications.  Thank you guys for your help!

Anyone else worried about snow-induced flight chaos this weekend?

Yes, I am pretty disappointed that the Yale interview got cancelled this weekend.

I can't make the date they rescheduled it to. They are saying they will work with you to find a time to visit if you can't visit next weekend... but I feel like I'm not going to get the same sense for the program if I come down on a random weekend.

Hey all. Joining in a little eleventh-hour-esque for this application season, but here it is:

Undergrad Institution: Small state engineering school
Major(s): Computer Engineering
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 3.0
Overall GPA: 3.0
Position in Class: Unknown
Type of Student: Domestic male

Undergrad Institution: Small state engineering school
Major(s): Biological Sciences - microbiology concentration
Minor(s): Biochemistry
GPA in Major: 3.0
Overall GPA: 3.0

Graduate Institution: Large, private research university
Major(s): Biology, M.S.
Minor(s): Biochemistry
GPA: 3.84

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 157 | 69th
V: 160 | 84th
W: 4.0 | 54th

Research Experience: Master's thesis research, 2 years research in industry, 2 years research in academia, 2 years experience in quality control. Three 2nd/3rd author papers

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 4 years experience in industry, 2 years experience TA

and I just sat through an adcom interview where no one had any idea of my background and were pushing the laptop towards each other as if no were were interested to talk to me. To top it all I am thinking I have said the stupidest stuffs. It is 2 in the morning here and I hope they see this is not a very convenient time to have a straight head. aaagggghhhhhh

I can't believe I just got rejected by Purdue University today.  I just don't know what to do anymore since I considered that one of my more safer schools.

I totally understand how you're feeling. I just got rejected from Irvine today, which came as a surprise because I thought the visit went really well. It doesn't feel super great to be rejected from one of your safer schools. And I really liked the campus and the program so major disappointment.

On 2/12/2014 at 3:08 PM, lasercats11 said:

I totally understand how you're feeling. I just got rejected from Irvine today, which came as a surprise because I thought the visit went really well. It doesn't feel super great to be rejected from one of your safer schools. And I really liked the campus and the program so major disappointment.

If my list of rejections keep up I'll just assume this was a doomed cycle for me.  WUSTL was one of my favorite schools and I got rejected from them too.  It seems like they had a nice campus and everything, but now that is off my future.  Irvine is a really good school too or almost any of the UC.  I'm sorry for your rejection.

My Villain Mindset: Someday, the graduate schools that rejected me will regret not having this worldwide all-star intellectual.

Not for Stony Brook Genetics since I called Kate and she said all invitation for interviews had sent out for Genetics program (MCB is still reviewing)

I just called Kate and she said no invitations for genetics has been send out! this is weird.

Do funded master programs actually exist? 

I'm in a funded biological sciences masters program. However, it's at a pretty unremarkable university that I don't think anyone would choose for ranking/prestige. We are all guaranteed funding for 3 years and people are most often paid through TA or RA.

Edited by darwingirl

I just called Kate and she said no invitations for genetics has been send out! this is weird.

Wow, that's so different than what I heard. Maybe I heard wrong. So please don't lose heart yet

Yes, I am pretty disappointed that the Yale interview got cancelled this weekend.

I can't make the date they rescheduled it to. They are saying they will work with you to find a time to visit if you can't visit next weekend... but I feel like I'm not going to get the same sense for the program if I come down on a random weekend.

I can't make it next weekend either. I told them I was free any time after March 13th. I'm thinking they'll probably end up hosting a few people every weekend for the next month or so.