Applying for Fall 2014 Sociology?

socialequity

Anyone claims the waiting list for UCLA?

Details on the UCLA waitlist would be great! Did you email them or did they email you, etc, etc?

Thanks all!

I'll claim the UCLA waitlist, since reading this thread has been so helpful to me in the past few weeks. I got a note (emailed) from Tanya Stivers, basically saying they couldn't admit me right now but inviting me to their visit days. I think I'm going to go, just to give myself the best possible chance at securing a spot. I have a BA in sociology from a small liberal arts college, honors thesis w/ original research, 3.6 undergrad GPA, 166 verbal 161 quant, two conferences, no pubs. Good luck to everyone going forward!

I'll claim the UCLA waitlist, since reading this thread has been so helpful to me in the past few weeks. I got a note (emailed) from Tanya Stivers, basically saying they couldn't admit me right now but inviting me to their visit days. I think I'm going to go, just to give myself the best possible chance at securing a spot. I have a BA in sociology from a small liberal arts college, honors thesis w/ original research, 3.6 undergrad GPA, 166 verbal 161 quant, two conferences, no pubs. Good luck to everyone going forward!

I received a waitlist on UCLA as well. I found the email in my junk box saying the same thing. I was already accepted to both OSU and UNC, but UCLA was a better fit for my research interests so I might still go to their visiting days. 

My background: BA in soc, 2 years as a TA, 1 year as an RA and 1.5 years conducting my own research. 3 conferences, 2 papers to be submitted this year, 3.9 GPA, 161 verbal, 163 quant, 5.5 writing.

Good luck everyone and check your Junk Mail!

Congratulations to everyone today!!  From what I've researched (from reading through the acceptance/waitlist/interview/rejection threads from the past two years and going through the results search records), I MIGHT just be hearing from Maryland sometime soon if I'm lucky!!!!!!  However, there's no way to know if their deadlines, number of applicants, and admissions committee are the same or similar from year to year!

Edited by gingin6789

You guys I give up. If you UT-Austin didn't happen. I don't know what other chances I have with Cornell, MD-College Park, Berkeley, UoT and McGill. My brain's fried from the last three years trying to make this happen. And I know there's always next year, but I don't if I have it in me anymore. 

You guys I give up. If you UT-Austin didn't happen. I don't know what other chances I have with Cornell, MD-College Park, Berkeley, UoT and McGill. My brain's fried from the last three years trying to make this happen. And I know there's always next year, but I don't if I have it in me anymore. 

Pinooysoc, you are obviously exhausted and likely want to explode with frustration.  It's so important to express your emotions; just let the frustration and the sadness exist and flow for now.  That being said, know that you don't know what Cornell, UMD, Berkeley, UoT, and McGill think of you yet.  This exhaustion and persistence isn't a sign that you're a weak candidate; it just shows the intense passion you have for sociology and academia.  I don't even care about your stats.  THAT is what makes you a fantastic candidate in my book.  

Hang in there, friend.  Let yourself feel, and we'll be here to lift you up.

It is going to work out. I know it is difficult to wait, but it will work out.

I've been staring at my phone all day willing, praying, hoping that it'll ring and it'll be UCSB on the other end.  The one phone call I did get today was my mom asking if I had heard anything yet....The nerves are high but we have to wait it all out.

I feel you. This is my first go at it and if I don't get in, it'll probably be my last. I applied to all the programs I felt were a good fit. I'll assume a rejection means don't-bother-wasting-that-$80-next-year. But, at this point, I haven't heard anything from anyone.

I've been staring at my phone all day willing, praying, hoping that it'll ring and it'll be UCSB on the other end.  The one phone call I did get today was my mom asking if I had heard anything yet....The nerves are high but we have to wait it all out.

They gotta accept someone eventually!

Hey...I am TOTALLY there with you. I almost applied at age 23, but I decided to start working in academia in other ways instead. I am now 30 and just applied to *11* programs that I thought were a great fit, too. I have worked very hard to get to where I am, like you have, I am sure.

And you know what? It's going to happen for us. It is WAY too early to throw in the towel. Most of your programs haven't even notified yet. Honestly, we could both get an acceptance any time between now and April.

If something completely nuts happens and we are both sitting here on May 1st saying "now what...?" We will have 7 months to get a leg up on next year. Hang in there! And take a break from this site for a few days.

Sometimes you have to stop checking your email, stop looking for the phone to ring, and ban yourself from checking your application status. It only stresses you out more.

I will say that I'm so glad that my work has been occupying me from being frantic... at least a little bit. As soon as I'm on break though, that's another story.

Based off trends, it looks like Berkeley might be coming today? Maybe? And it's killing me haha

Isn't that the worst part? Both my mom and dad text me every day to ask if I've heard anything and I have to say, "Don't you think I'd tell you? Nothing new." haha. UCSB is in my top 3 so I'd be really stoked to go there. I'm really familiar with the city and the school. I love it there. Crossing my fingers we hear soon!

Congratulations to everyone today!!  From what I've researched (from reading through the acceptance/waitlist/interview/rejection threads from the past two years and going through the results search records), I MIGHT just be hearing from Maryland sometime soon if I'm lucky!!!!!!  However, there's no way to know if their deadlines, number of applicants, and admissions committee are the same or similar from year to year!

I am with you on UMD! If you haven't seen this already, you may be interested in this blog: http://familyinequality.wordpress.com/ by a professor there.

I am with you on UMD! If you haven't seen this already, you may be interested in this blog: http://familyinequality.wordpress.com/ by a professor there.

Oh I am just praying they'll take me ... I had no idea how competitive it was until recently! I guess I was kinda just trying to put rank in the back of my mind until I got my applications finished.  

That is an excellent blog!!  Dr. Cohen is AMAZING!!! Thank you for the link!!

Congrats to you, curiouslyoptimistic!!

Maleficent, I'm fortunate that no one here ever asks about hearing back.  They are all wondering why I'm so worried about it, though.  I am just praying I get accepted at one of these schools ... I do have these programs ranked, but if I get in to any of the three I've applied to, I will be elated!!

Fyi, guys, UCI is reviewing applications and meeting next week, so except answers late next week/early the week after.

Thanks for sharing the info! 

Isn't that the worst part? Both my mom and dad text me every day to ask if I've heard anything and I have to say, "Don't you think I'd tell you? Nothing new." haha. UCSB is in my top 3 so I'd be really stoked to go there. I'm really familiar with the city and the school. I love it there. Crossing my fingers we hear soon!

I did an MA at UCSB. It really is an amazing place to study. Good luck. I applied as well... maybe I'll find myself there for another few years! What are your research concentrations?

So much excitement right now. I can't look away from my phone/email either! 

I received a waitlist on UCLA as well. I found the email in my junk box saying the same thing. I was already accepted to both OSU and UNC, but UCLA was a better fit for my research interests so I might still go to their visiting days. 

My background: BA in soc, 2 years as a TA, 1 year as an RA and 1.5 years conducting my own research. 3 conferences, 2 papers to be submitted this year, 3.9 GPA, 161 verbal, 163 quant, 5.5 writing.

Good luck everyone and check your Junk Mail!

quick question : do you show up as 'waitlisted' on the UCLA check status page? here is that page.

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing the info! 

I did an MA at UCSB. It really is an amazing place to study. Good luck. I applied as well... maybe I'll find myself there for another few years! What are your research concentrations?

So much excitement right now. I can't look away from my phone/email either! 

At UCSB I'd probably fall somewhere between the Culture and the Social Movements, Revolutions, and Social Change research concentrations..and maybe a bit of Sexuality.

Edited by Maleficent999