MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

is anyone else experiencing a near heart-attack whenever a (1) appears in their gmail tab?

Yes and I keep calling my friend and saying..."So I just read on the grad cafe forum." She is inches from murdering me. Or coming to my house and blocking this website... 

Thanks, isme.

It's funny it wasnt a top choice for me but the rejection was uniquely tricky and thus aurprisingly disappointing! Yup, little public tears on the subway! I'm ok now. Another interview request from somewhere would make me feel a lot better!

No Bard for me :(. But that's ok, I figure they are in a better position to know whether it is the right place for me (given that all my info was gleaned from the internet).

Congratulations haleyhemenway! Best of luck for the interview.

Thanks, isme.

It's funny it wasnt a top choice for me but the rejection was uniquely tricky and thus aurprisingly disappointing! Yup, little public tears on the subway! I'm ok now. Another interview request from somewhere would make me feel a lot better!

I did a Post Bacc year at SFAI (and I'm still living in the city) so if you have any questions I'm pretty acquainted with the school and SOME of the professors (it was only a 1 year program).

Good luck! 

This is my first time posting on here. I have received interview requests from NYU/Steinhardt, SVA and Pratt... Seems awfully East Coast! I'm not in the country at the moment so I have to do them all by Skype, I hope this is not to big a disadvantage.

I currently live in LA but have not heard a word from any schools here yet... 

This is my first time posting on here. I have received interview requests from NYU/Steinhardt, SVA and Pratt... Seems awfully East Coast! I'm not in the country at the moment so I have to do them all by Skype, I hope this is not to big a disadvantage.

I currently live in LA but have not heard a word from any schools here yet... 

Oh and my Columbia slideroom status says: 

2014 New Genres MFA

Edited by bubu2014

Thanks Kafrala! I apologize for posting that so quickly bathtub, before looking what others had posted. That came across as especially cruel. Take heart that I'm apply for writing and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on here doing writing. anyway... does anyone have ANY idea what the deal with art school interviews are? What will be asked and (i know this seems vain, but is actually important) what to wear? All my siblings went to med school so I'm assuming I don't need to wear a lady's Hillary Clinton-esque suit...??

I did a Post Bacc year at SFAI (and I'm still living in the city) so if you have any questions I'm pretty acquainted with the school and SOME of the professors (it was only a 1 year program).

Good luck! 

hey tofutuesday,

I was just wondering, how did you feel about SFAI? did you get a good impression from their masters program? Where did you go for undergrad? i wish you the best of luck hearing back from your schools! 

Thanks Kafrala! I apologize for posting that so quickly bathtub, before looking what others had posted. That came across as especially cruel. Take heart that I'm apply for writing and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on here doing writing. anyway... does anyone have ANY idea what the deal with art school interviews are? What will be asked and (i know this seems vain, but is actually important) what to wear? All my siblings went to med school so I'm assuming I don't need to wear a lady's Hillary Clinton-esque suit...??

Not sure what they will ask for writing.

No suit :) . Be comfortable...casual, but neat. I'd go with nice jeans or other casual pants or equivalent and a non-shleppy (neat, but not fancy) top. It kinda depends on what you are comfortable wearing.

hey rawbdee,

when did Rutgers notify you/ how? I'm waiting to hear from painting and was curious

On Tuesday by phone. Unfortunately I have no other insight. He didn't mention if they just started or anything else that would help put your mind at ease. Sorry =/

I think it is a bit of speculation concerning the MFA Columbia slideroom. I find it hard to believe that they would make an obvious notation about your standing prior to formally sending out results. Does't Columbia notify mid-March for interviews anyways?

Edited by things_x2

after getting upset reading the "results" section, i realized today that i need to quit agonizing and hypothesizing about outcomes i have no control over anyway and get back to making the work that has been stalled/neglected since Dec/Jan. 

planned a short vacation for myself following decision time, in order to celebrate or cheer me up  :P

Edited by Czarina

Hi things_x2,

Great to hear from someone who studied at GSA! Like JoJoYang, I've also been very curious about their M.Des. Communication Design programme. I just got an acceptance yesterday!

I understand that you were in a different programme, but what did you think about the course work in general, and student satisfaction and growth? For me this is really the most important aspect.

JoJoYang - were you asked to respond (decline /  accept + pay deposit) within two weeks of receiving your offer? I feel that this is really too little time, especially when I'm looking at funding options and also considering other programmes.

Hi Hi.

In terms of my own experience, I would say that the course work is mainly independently directed and that the bond between students is the core element of the school. If you are looking for a lot of engagement, while I can't speak for the program in specific that you are applying to, I would suggest looking elsewhere than Glasgow. 

I hope this was somewhat helpful. I cannot stress enough the importance of maintaining a practice post-degree in the location you choose to study. This will be a problem from international students, as was my experience.

Edited by things_x2

Can I ask you guys something? I applied for an mfa painting in SAIC and mfa in CalArts, I haven't heard from them for an interview. Does this mean I'm rejected, how and when the latest will I be informed of the status of my application?

Thank you..

Can I ask you guys something? I applied for an mfa painting in SAIC and mfa in CalArts, I haven't heard from them for an interview. Does this mean I'm rejected, how and when the latest will I be informed of the status of my application?

Thank you..

I'd say yeah for SAIC...

Woke up to an interview request for this coming week with Pratt for printmaking. No word from their art history department. It's frustrating that I applied to two dual-degree programs and have only heard back from one department of each one. It's like you've succeeded, but only half-way, so not really.

In any case, yay! More interviews! This time applying to graduate school is going so much better! Granted the first time I applied I was straight out of undergrad at a no-name school and I only applied to three schools, and now four years later I have more life experience and some more classes under my belt, but it still feels much nicer to get at least interviews instead of flat-out rejections!

Thank you..

An earlier post (today) included an email from admissions at CalArts that said they were still processing some applications. If you haven't heard from them then your app is still under review. Good luck, hope you get some good news soon!

California College of Art offers me an interview a couple weeks ago for Sculpture and then doesn't follow up with a Skype interview date and time.  I have made a followup email and phone call.  The department is interviewing this week and it makes me nervous.  Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Other news, Im keeping my Cranbrook March 28th interview in person… apparently i wasn't the only one with conflicting schedules for the Feb 28th request.