MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Just invited to do a Skype interview with UT Austin.  It seems that they do all their interviews that way, so I'm not at a disadvantage for not flying down there.  Anyone else applying there this year?  

Congrats! I didn't apply there because I lived most of my life there, but I did consider it as it appears to have a pretty good program for sculpture. That is odd they are selling off equipment that is pretty necessary for a sculptor though...

There seems to be a lot of people in these threads who only apply to the top 10-20 schools. (according to US News) 

And several of these people seem to be on their 2nd or 3rd application season.

I'm curious as to why people continue to apply to these "top tier" schools. 

Besides reputation, are these schools offering something that similar but lesser known (ranked) schools could offer with a much higher acceptance rate? 

Not trying to sound antagonistic, just genuinely curious.  

I actually feel that you should have considered VCU, but I understand what you are saying (and my applications show it). For me, I considered many other factors. The only "top tier" school I applied to is Carnegie Mellon. Its a really unique program and I'd love to be a part of it, but I also know that so few get in. 

For those that applied to Yale and did not get accepted... keep your chins up! For those that did get an interview, congratulations towards the next step! As past forums have revealed, its a weird process and who knows what there selection process consist of. Didn't someone write that the first stage is selected by current grad students?

Sorry to all those who had bad news this evening. I hope I didn't sound dismissive, I know it is painful to get rejections and I'm not looking forward to how I'm going to feel when my own start coming in.

It is nice to get a big batch of results though. Here's hoping that we all get some good news soon!

There seems to be a lot of people in these threads who only apply to the top 10-20 schools. (according to US News) 

And several of these people seem to be on their 2nd or 3rd application season.

I'm curious as to why people continue to apply to these "top tier" schools. 

Besides reputation, are these schools offering something that similar but lesser known (ranked) schools could offer with a much higher acceptance rate? 

Not trying to sound antagonistic, just genuinely curious.  

Good question. I guess everyone has different reasons for the choices they make. Mine, have a lot to do with lifestyle--long term geographic connections--and family considerations (that include husband and children). I chose schools that would work all around and feel like they justify the necessary sacrifices. If I don't get in anywhere...so be it! I have already gotten a lot out of the process, to date. I think, for me, each of my choices do offer something I wouldn't get anywhere else.

heyyyy - I got an interview for painting at yale which is exciting

for those who got rejected, this was my second time applying
and I got rejected everywhere the first time I applied

so... it's pretty random what happens I guess.

Last time I applied to and was rejected from

Yale
Columbia

Hunter
CalArts
UCLA

Bard

and I did not receive any offers for interviews either

In retrospect I feel like I was not a suitable candidate for CalArts and Bard, was not good enough for Yale, Columbia and UCLA.... and I think I should have gotten into Hunter (but whatever)

I did get accepted to SAIC, but I was in the BFA painting program there at the time and I truly believe that I was accepted because the teachers knew and liked me personally and not because of the quality of my work (i.e. I would have been rejected othewise). So I discount that.

Was inspired to look at all of the online applications this morning to see if there was any news, like you guys did with Yale. When I dug around a bit on Temple's admissions portal I learned when I clicked on my submitted application that I've been rejected at Tyler. Doesn't feel great, but right now knowing about a rejection feels better than obsessing over not knowing!

This link with an invitation code was sent to me as soon as my application was finished. You should have one in your email account. https://tuportal3.temple.edu/pacwa/site/portalHomef.html Go to the tab for your applications. If you click on the one that you've already filled out, it should tell you your application status.

Yale

Columbia

Hunter

CalArts

UCLA

Bard

In retrospect I feel like I was not a suitable candidate for CalArts and Bard, was not good enough for Yale, Columbia and UCLA.... and I think I should have gotten into Hunter (but whatever)

I did get accepted to SAIC, but I was in the BFA painting program there at the time and I truly believe that I was accepted because the teachers knew and liked me personally and not because of the quality of my work (i.e. I would have been rejected othewise). So I discount that.

Thanks mlk. I suspect that your ability to assess your work, and your last round of applications critically is probably working in your favor now. Good luck!

Hello.

It has been nice to know that I'm not the only person counting down the days 'till interview invitations go out. I wanted to put out a friendly reminder to do your FAFSA now or as soon as you get your W2s. Don't wait until you get accepted.

Best of luck to all.

This link with an invitation code was sent to me as soon as my application was finished. You should have one in your email account. https://tuportal3.temple.edu/pacwa/site/portalHomef.html Go to the tab for your applications. If you click on the one that you've already filled out, it should tell you your application status.

Ya, all mine says is "Incomplete Items Outstanding" (which I called them about, my transcript got lost in the mail so I emailed one and then had to mail a new one). So unless it saying "This is a summary of the processed application that was selected." at the top of the form means anything, I'll have to wait until Monday to call or for the snail mail.

Ya, all mine says is "Incomplete Items Outstanding" (which I called them about, my transcript got lost in the mail so I emailed one and then had to mail a new one). So unless it saying "This is a summary of the processed application that was selected." at the top of the form means anything, I'll have to wait until Monday to call or for the snail mail.

Yeah, that's what mine looks like currently for RISD, too, despite having them rush delivered. I'm waiting for another response to see whether or not they actually came through and if my app is/will be processed.

Has anyone been able to check their application status for Indiana University Bloomington. I'm able to login in to my account, but after that, their instructions don't work for what I'm seeing. 

Yale

Columbia

Hunter

CalArts

UCLA

Bard

mlk...so when you re-applied to Yale, did you submit a completely different body of work than your first go-around?

Congrats on your interview.  Good luck!

heyyyy - I got an interview for painting at yale which is exciting

for those who got rejected, this was my second time applying

and I got rejected everywhere the first time I applied

so... it's pretty random what happens I guess.

Huge congrats, mlk! I just learned that I was rejected from Yale, but this is my first year applying and your story is encouraging. I hope your interview goes wonderfully!!

Congrats, iomarch! I love those questions they asked you! Good luck!

Yeah, I was really excited when I saw them because it seems to indicate that they are very aware of the role process plays and have a similar outlook on failures and happy accidents and all that stuff as I do. :)

For all those who got rejections - hang in there! It ain't over til it's over!! Over the last couple of years of getting rejected to a lot of shows and residencies and what have you, I've learned to not take it personally. I look at it from an outcome based view: if you get rejected the best path for a good outcome in the future is still to keep applying. Stopping gets you the worst possible of all outcomes. It still stings but I've found that making a plan for the future helps. It makes you feel like you can still make something of the rejection. I plan to go ahead and try to make the work I would have made in school anyway if I get rejected everywhere. That's the best way to prep for next year and besides, making art is the whole reason we're all applying in the first place!

Besides, as someone pointed out, sometimes they only have less than a handful of slots for any given medium and the odds are just against us in any one cycle. Each prof I got a red from has emphasized that a lot of the time it really comes down to the class they want to construct and not the quality of your work. They told me it's important to build on your portfolio each year since it shows that you are capable of making work regularly in your own. It's bad if you submit the same portfolio over and over.

Good luck, everyone!

Have any of you guys ever contacted a school that rejected you afterward to get feedback? Is that not kosher? I'm thinking of doing it if I am rejected.

A couple of times after I got rejected from grants or residencies I contacted someone to see if they could give me feedback and what they told me was helpful. In one case I was ambitious but my past work wasn't anything like what I proposed so they had no confidence in my ability to carry out the proposal. Another time it turns out they didn't have anything bad to say since I was actually pretty close and they simply went with a different theme that the owner liked. That makes rejection a lot easier! It's a human communicating with you instead of a form letter.

But is that creepy? Do schools have a policy to not talk about decisions?