MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

anyone heard from UCLA or Rutgers for painting yet? hope lost?

My friend got into ucla painting already... I think they've already contacted. I called Rutgers yesterday and they said that notifications are starting soon. When I asked if that meant I haven't necessarily been rejected if I haven't heard the woman said she couldn't confirm that. So who knows about Rutgers. No one here has gotten accepted here for painting so we probably would have heard about it....

So if there has been a UCLA acceptance I would suspect that they are just starting. In the past they seemed to have rolled out over the course of a week or so. I did notice yesterday that the format of the application status page had changed, but mine still says "To date, no decision has been made on your application." Good luck everyone.

is anyone in the same boat as me?

Applied to SAIC painting program and I have not heard back at all. No rejection , no wait listed, no interview 

I emailed to figure out what is up with that #marchgiveusgoodnews

During my interview with SAIC I mentioned that I have a big interest in art history and art theory and really like integrating both academic and studio works together. The follow-up question from them went as such:

"Now, normally we ask students who are some artists who really influence their work, but since you have a big interest in art writing, we will ask you instead who some if you have any writers and theorists who have really inspired what you produce."

I WAS UNPREPARED FOR THIS. I had a minute and a half of, uh, um, uh.... I do normally have terrible recall of names anyway (ask any of my students; it sometimes becomes a little comical), but under that kind of pressure it was so much worse! The best I could do was to reference the writings of John Cage on silence, but Benjamin, McLuhan, and Said - whose writings all do legitimately influence my artwork - were NOWHERE NEAR the forefront of my brain...

Is it wrong to e-mail them with the answers to the question now? Can I provide them with this even though the interview is over? I feel silly not being able to remember names on the spot. I'm hoping this question didn't, you know, make or break the interview. Hopefully the questions about my actual work and why I want to go to SAIC specifically matter a whole lot more...

Hi Oakchild,

How RISD said in the email about wait-list? I applied their mfa photo as well but they said admission will be made on March. I am confused.

Hi Shaoceptual, 

I had a Skype interview with them on Monday, and they wrote me Thursday saying that I was chosen for the wait-list. They have already offered acceptance to their chosen candidates. There's only 7 MFA photo spots. Did you have an interview? 

I also applied to Stanford's Art Practice program, but I haven't heard anything. I know they conduct interviews, but I don't think I'll be getting one.

There's still hope! Who knows what kind of timeline they're on... And as for interviews there, at the information session they said they make the 10 finalists do a presentation about their work. Good luck to you!

There's still hope! Who knows what kind of timeline they're on... And as for interviews there, at the information session they said they make the 10 finalists do a presentation about their work. Good luck to you!

Thank you, oakchild, for the info! I would really like to attend Stanford, but I think some of my stats aren't quite up to their standards :(

is anyone in the same boat as me?

Applied to SAIC painting program and I have not heard back at all. No rejection , no wait listed, no interview 

I emailed to figure out what is up with that #marchgiveusgoodnews

I think they've already sent out requests for painting interviews and the wait list people are probably chosen from the pool of interviewees. Please share if you get information that contradicts this.

Don't contact them.  I can't really see anything positive coming from it and I can see a few negative things.  First of all, if it was something that they had forgotten or was unimportant overall you'll just be reminding them of something that you thought was a negative (and emphasizing it as well).  It will also negate the answer you gave, which they may have found acceptable, only demonstrating to them that you bs'ed your answer only to provide them with the "real" answer now.  Part of the interview process is not only to see what the interviewee will say, but how they answer the questions (i.e. are they well spoken, confident, sound like they know what they are talking about, believe in what they are saying, etc.).  This is one of the reasons why they don't give you the questions ahead of time.   

If it hurt you then the impression has already been made and nothing can be done.  If not, then you don't want them to revisit it.  I'm sure it's fine though and not as bad as you think. 

Having taken some classes at SAIC and being familiar with the atmosphere there, I totally agree with this ^.

Congratulations to everyone getting acceptances! The end is in sight  :)

JoJoYang, how did your committee interview go? Curious about the panel - my other experience, at Yale, wasn't exactly the best.

I had my first Pratt interview yesterday and it was pretty much how you described. We actually ended up discussing the political situation in India! 

My interview was through Skype 

I had an interview with Pratt on Feb 13th, and am invited for a second interview for March 7th. 

The interview was pretty casual, I had it with one of their associate professor. He asked me what I did after I graduated, how long I worked, what I did, why I want to go back to grad school, why I want to go to Pratt, told me a little about the program, and asked me how I can contribute to their program. 

Depending how you answer your questions, it might lead to a completely different set of questions, so, I think all you need to do to prepare is to be yourself. One of my friend reminded me yesterday, that not only they are learning about you, you are learning about them too. This is a chance for you to ask some questions. The worst thing is at the end when they ask you if you have any questions, and you go "ermm......nope". :)

Think of something you would like to know about the program, and see if Pratt is a good fit for YOU, not only if you are a good fit for THEM. 

I'm a bit more nervous about the committee interview, there will be 4~5 professors, and students are invited to sit in as well. my nerves :(

Anyone has any experience interviewing with a panel? 

Edited by bhavika.aggarwal

I think they've already sent out requests for painting interviews and the wait list people are probably chosen from the pool of interviewees. Please share if you get information that contradicts this.

SAIC Painting interviews are today and tomorrow.

I would like to add another anxiety-ridden question: Is it safe to assume if I haven't been contacted by USC for an interview at this point, I won't be?

I don't think so. There is very little info on Gradcafe for USC, one year shows an interview request on Feb 28th but from what I can tell it seems like requests generally go out the first week of March.

Just got a nice and personal phone call from Stephan westfall from Rutgers accepting me for painting

Congratulations mlk!

So glad we are into March and the home stretch.

Hi Shaoceptual,

I had a Skype interview with them on Monday, and they wrote me Thursday saying that I was chosen for the wait-list. They have already offered acceptance to their chosen candidates. There's only 7 MFA photo spots. Did you have an interview?

Hi Oakchild,

I haven't heard an interview and I am sure that means rejection. But it is not in my top 3 choices since it's location. Thanks for the info and I wish the best for your chance to get in!

So if there has been a UCLA acceptance I would suspect that they are just starting. In the past they seemed to have rolled out over the course of a week or so. I did notice yesterday that the format of the application status page had changed, but mine still says "To date, no decision has been made on your application." Good luck everyone.

I am wondering if painting and photo come out about the same time? Thx

I am wondering if painting and photo come out about the same time? Thx

No idea. It's all one department...maybe results have to go to the grad division to be approved before notices go out, and then we hear as they process things...? not sure. Rejections and acceptances seem to come out all within a week or so regardless, and with no apparent pattern. We just have to wait and see.