Asian Studies 2014

I've been gathering a lot of information on the UCLA program, and can post upon request.

Has anyone been calling Yale or Stanford? When can we expect their decisions? I've noticed that Stanford has been posting A LOT of PhD decisions in the past few days. It makes me believe they're getting ready to send MA decisions soon.

Hello,

what did you find out?

And my language skills for the program I want to do (Korean...) are actually quite subpar :'(

I said in my S.o.p. that I'd do  a language program to get my skills up.

Traditionally, Yale seemed to release decisions around the second week of March and Stanford around the third week or late March.

Thanks MastersHoping.

Any other opinions on Berkeley vs Columbia for South Asia/India concentration?

I'm primarily interested in the arts and want to have a good balance of academics / language / job possibilities.

Hi Guys, 

Early in Feb. I received an admission from Columbia EALAC MA program. However, as a student interested in Chinese intellectual and social history, Columbia is not my first choice, and I'm still paying close attention to the Harvard RSEA program. Anyone heard from Harvard yet? I'm really concerned about it, since I need to reply Columbia in early March... 

yh2654: I'm in the same boat as you are right now. Just wondering though, how much do you know about the Columbia program and it's selectivity, etcetc. I know it boasts a pretty amazing faculty and a very impressive PhD program but I'm left kind of clueless about the MA 

Just called Duke East Asian Studies program. They said they're meeting on Thursday and will be releasing decisions within the next two weeks.

Thanks for doing the dirty work, MastersHoping! I got an email today from Duke asking me to fill out the FLAS app and essay for possible funding. Figured this was sent to all apps, but not sure. Anyone else get that email?

Nope haven't heard from Harvard yet. They seem to notify applicants only by postal service it seems.

I find this both amusing and frustrating. Maybe my trust in the US postal service is lacking, but with email at least I have faith my spam box will catch it, if nothing else. Plus, my street gets mail around 5pm, so late! Oh well, will keep waiting ;)

I find this both amusing and frustrating. Maybe my trust in the US postal service is lacking, but with email at least I have faith my spam box will catch it, if nothing else. Plus, my street gets mail around 5pm, so late! Oh well, will keep waiting ;)

It's doubly worrying for me since I'm moving back to my home country just around the time any mail sent on the 15th March would have arrived. Ah well what will be, will be :) 

More UCLA replies posted today, who got in? I'd love to connect with someone else considering the program.

I avoided applying to LA and NYC schools, simply because I have a wife and son, and the expenses (daycare, not school age yet) alone are too much to handle. Beyond that, my wife just doesn't enjoy the huge cities enough to commit to living there ATM. As it is, my son will have moved three times before he is two by the time grad school starts, and one of those moves was from China to America (my wife and I are both American, but he was born in China). Bleh. If I was single, woulda applied to them in a heartbeat. Wish I had so I could join in the Columbia / UCLA commiserations / joy!

Good luck with the replies from UCLA all!

Hi all - new to the forum.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on the value of a MA in East Asian Lang and Culture vs. an MA in Asian Studies, if one's ultimate goal is to pursue a PhD in EALC? Is there any value in being part of an EALC Dept during your MA, over doing a interdisciplinary MA, such as Asian Studies?

So far I've been accepted into MA programs at Berkeley (Asian Studies), Stanford (EALC), and Columbia (EALC), and am trying to make my decision. My research interest is pre-modern Chinese thought/lit, and Berkeley seems to have really solid faculty in this area. But thought I'd see if anyone had any opinions.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me it's valuable to help me get into a PhD program eventually. Admissions boards for PhD programs view someone with a relevant MA as much more prepared than someone who doesn't have one. Also, East Asian Studies programs are great for people who want to enter more specialized graduate/PhD programs (in my case history) but don't currently have enough language competency. The East Asia MA gives an opportunity for language improvement before applying for PhD programs.

You heard from the Stanford MA program? No one else has heard back. When did you hear?

I heard from Stanford via email on Feb 15. But I applied to the Chinese MA in the East Asian Language and Cultures Dept, not the East Asian Studies MA, which may have a different timeline.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me it's valuable to help me get into a PhD program eventually. Admissions boards for PhD programs view someone with a relevant MA as much more prepared than someone who doesn't have one. Also, East Asian Studies programs are great for people who want to enter more specialized graduate/PhD programs (in my case history) but don't currently have enough language competency. The East Asia MA gives an opportunity for language improvement before applying for PhD programs.

You heard from the Stanford MA program? No one else has heard back. When did you hear?

Well said, kindkw123. Just chiming in to second Kevin's thoughts on this matter, and want to add that my my own interests lie within the interdisciplinary nature of an EAS MA, and while I still applied to a couple EALC programs, I tried to ensure they had a broader approach or areas than just the traditional language/lit/religion/intellectualism, since while I like those, they aren't my main focus. And yes, an EALC MA will definitely provide you a much stronger background for pursuing a phd in EALC.

Congrats on three awesome acceptances, btw! Sounds like you have some tough choices, but that's a good thing.

Saltome, yes I got the email too. 

Should I even bother applying??? Duke is not high on the list of places I want to go, but then again, the only place I got in so far is well below it. 

You might as well. My experience has been 50/50: my current uni, I applied for admission and didn't apply for FLAS, thinking, "oh, I'll never get in there anyway, what's the point" and then whoooops! For PhD, I ended up getting rejected from the one place where I remembered to apply for FLAS (the other, I swear they changed the deadline on me), but it can't hurt. It'll take maybe an hour out of your day to fill out the forms.