Canadian 2014 SLP

The start from the top of your transcript (all transcript from the most recent) and count backwards until they reach 20 credits.

Okay awesome, so they will take a couple of courses from a semester if they have to ?

To quickly add on to this, they will take the average of a semester if they need just a few courses to complete the 20 courses.  So for example, if they reach 18 with your 2 most recent years, they will use your average from the semester immediately preceding the 2 years twice.  Let me know if that makes sense lol!

Okay awesome, so they will take a couple of courses from a semester if they have to ?

I am a little confused.  Why would they take an average of a semester.  My understanding is they start counting from the top until they reach 20 credits regardless of when the course were taken.

I am a little confused.  Why would they take an average of a semester.  My understanding is they start counting from the top until they reach 20 credits regardless of when the course were taken.

I think the reason is that depending on how your grades from a semester appear on your transcript, it might not be a good reflection of what kind of student you are.  For example, if you had all As and hypothetically a C in one semester and the C appears earlier on the transcript for that semester, it wouldn't be fair to you as a student to take the C.  It's more representative of you as a student to take an average of that semester.  Just to clarify though, this is only if you need to add extra credits to the subGPA to get to 20 credits and adding an extra semester will go over the 20 credits.  Does this make more sense?

I think the reason is that depending on how your grades from a semester appear on your transcript, it might not be a good reflection of what kind of student you are.  For example, if you had all As and hypothetically a C in one semester and the C appears earlier on the transcript for that semester, it wouldn't be fair to you as a student to take the C.  It's more representative of you as a student to take an average of that semester.  Just to clarify though, this is only if you need to add extra credits to the subGPA to get to 20 credits and adding an extra semester will go over the 20 credits.  Does this make more sense?

Oh ok.  It makes sense.  i didn't know that they do it that way.  So in  it will be to our advantage if that was to be the case.  Thanks

Hi,

Did anyone get offers to different places without having A's in ALL pre-requisites? Do they weigh them separately or average them out? I am debating on re-doing one half course I received a B+ in a long time ago, or wondering if it's not necessary. Otherwise, my SubGPA is about 3.8, and 3.65 overall. I also have quite a bit of experience in different areas and in SLP.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi,

Did anyone get offers to different places without having A's in ALL pre-requisites? Do they weigh them separately or average them out? I am debating on re-doing one half course I received a B+ in a long time ago, or wondering if it's not necessary. Otherwise, my SubGPA is about 3.8, and 3.65 overall. I also have quite a bit of experience in different areas and in SLP.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks!

I think a 3.8 is an excellent GPA in general, and you only need a B+ or higher in the pre-requisites 

Hi guys,

Just wondering about the sGPA ORPAS calculation. 

So they wont take a couple of courses out of a semester to fulfill the required 20 most recent courses? 

Do they take the gpa of that whole semester or the whole year?

A little confused about this.

Hi,

I just wanted to clarify that they take the average of your entire year (not just a semester) if they need to. At least that is what was done for me for this application cycle. Unless they change the rules by next year I am pretty sure this will continue to be the procedure. Hope that helps!

Hi,

I just wanted to clarify that they take the average of your entire year (not just a semester) if they need to. At least that is what was done for me for this application cycle. Unless they change the rules by next year I am pretty sure this will continue to be the procedure. Hope that helps!

Thank you, this would not work in my favour, so seems like I'd have to take a couple extra courses to knock out that option haha. 

Hello!

I have a question for those attending McGill. Have you heard back from them after accepting their offer of admission?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by kay0928

Hello!

I have a question for those attending McGill. Have you heard back from them after accepting their offer of admission?

Thank you in advance!

Haven't heard anything yet. Join our group; someone said we should be receiving more info soon!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/556354367817467/

I think a 3.8 is an excellent GPA in general, and you only need a B+ or higher in the pre-requisites

Thanks! I wonder if people still were fairly successful. I feel like that B+ is a scar on my application.

Edited by nat123

Thanks! I wonder if people still were fairly successful. I feel like that B+ is a scar on my application.

B+ is a great mark too though, I know, the sGPA is my main reason for concern. I'm willing to do years of volunteer, but I do not want to spend another 500 bucks retaking a course I got a B+ in. 

I am sure that B+ won't affect their decision, I do understand though. With the ORPAS, I feel like it is a huge jump from 3.8 (A) to a 3.3 (B+), and it truly can weigh your gpa down a bit (as I have noticed in my calculations atleast) 

All in all, 3.8 is an excellent GPA, and you should be very proud of it!! Great work!  :)

Hey guys,

In regards to the subGPA calculation,

I was planning on taking an extra course to bump out one I took last summer. From what I am aware, this summer course was going to contribute to the following yearly courses in terms of calculation. My question is,

1) Would they take into consideration my yearly courses and leave out that summer course if I were to bump it out of my most recent 20? 

Or, 

2)Would they now take the average of that whole year and calculate it that way?

I am leaning towards option 1, just because it's not like they would be taking a couple of courses from a semester in order to complete the needed 20, but they would technically be taking the whole year, and just excluding one course from the summer.

Does anyone know? Thought I might as well ask 

Hi speechies,

From what I understand, I believe courses taken in a summer term are considered separately. So if you took one course in the summer before your fourth year, that mark from the course will be the average of the entire summer term and is considered separately from the fall and winter term. If you have 20 half credits taken after that summer course, then the summer course will not be counted. However if you have your fourth year marks, the summer course, and the third year marks all included in the last 20 half credits, then they will count back in order of when the courses were taken from to get your last 20 marks. If this summer course makes up part of the last 20, then they will count it. Any time where they have to obtain marks from another year (say for example, they need to take only 2 marks from your second year to make up the last 20), then what they do is they take the average of the entire fall/winter semester and use that average as the mark for however many courses are needed to make up the last 20 credits. Summer courses are counted apart from fall/winter and would not be averaged for the full year, but rather counted like its own year.

Hope this makes sense!

Hi speechies,

From what I understand, I believe courses taken in a summer term are considered separately. So if you took one course in the summer before your fourth year, that mark from the course will be the average of the entire summer term and is considered separately from the fall and winter term. If you have 20 half credits taken after that summer course, then the summer course will not be counted. However if you have your fourth year marks, the summer course, and the third year marks all included in the last 20 half credits, then they will count back in order of when the courses were taken from to get your last 20 marks. If this summer course makes up part of the last 20, then they will count it. Any time where they have to obtain marks from another year (say for example, they need to take only 2 marks from your second year to make up the last 20), then what they do is they take the average of the entire fall/winter semester and use that average as the mark for however many courses are needed to make up the last 20 credits. Summer courses are counted apart from fall/winter and would not be averaged for the full year, but rather counted like its own year.

Hope this makes sense!

thank you so much, i appreciate it!

Hello there! I am getting ready to apply to SLP programs (UWO, McGill, and UofT). I just need some advice; my GPA isn't great (discovered I wanted go be an SLP after completion of undergrad), I'm also a Recreation Therapist (advanced diploma from community college. My clients are mainly those with severe neuro injuries and disabilities), and I have a ton of volunteer experience and I'm also working as a support worker on a part time basis. I have taken some upgrade courses (psych, Linguistics, stats) and did well, but not sure if this will be enough. Especially with UWO as being my first choice. Any advice?

Hello there! I am getting ready to apply to SLP programs (UWO, McGill, and UofT). I just need some advice; my GPA isn't great (discovered I wanted go be an SLP after completion of undergrad), I'm also a Recreation Therapist (advanced diploma from community college. My clients are mainly those with severe neuro injuries and disabilities), and I have a ton of volunteer experience and I'm also working as a support worker on a part time basis. I have taken some upgrade courses (psych, Linguistics, stats) and did well, but not sure if this will be enough. Especially with UWO as being my first choice. Any advice?

Hey feminist_slp, your situation sounds similar to mine when I applied. My GPA from undergrad was 3.41 and sub GPA was 3.67. I also volunteered in a hospital in the TR department and realized I wanted to do SLP after graduating, so I took the remaining prereqs which boosted up my GPA (on ORPAS they appear as 3.50 for overall GPA and 3.79 for sub GPA). I also did research on bilingualism and got more field experience by working with children and adults with language disorders, and was accepted at UWO, but decided on McGill (my first choice). I'd say you seem to have pretty well-rounded experiences. Make sure to mention your work with clients on your ORPAS application though, as there isn't a section designated for work experiences, but they can definitely contribute to making your application stronger. And if you have any particular questions about GPA, feel free to message me!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, hope you all are enjoying the summer.

Quick question, as I am enrolling in my courses..

When they calculate the subGPA, if some courses are full year and therefore not completed when you had in your application, do they get counted at all? 

Hi, I'm an American student from California and I had thoughts of applying to maybe 1-2 schools in Canada.  I would like to know if UWO has a minimum GPA requirement and if they request GRE scores.  I already took the GRE, so it makes no difference to me.  Is there a certain GPA and GRE score they look for in students?  I also looked into McGill's program and was surprised to see all the pre-reqs, but it's manageable for me, especially when compared to UBC's requirements. 

Another question: If I was to get into McGill and complete the program, would I still have a chance finding work in other provinces?  I don't speak French, so I wouldn't be able to be certified in Quebec if I decide to stay in Canada.

Edited by rainsonata

Hi, I'm an American student from California and I had thoughts of applying to maybe 1-2 schools in Canada.  I would like to know if UWO has a minimum GPA requirement and if they request GRE scores.  I already took the GRE, so it makes no difference to me.  Is there a certain GPA and GRE score they look for in students?  I also looked into McGill's program and was surprised to see all the pre-reqs, but it's manageable for me, especially when compared to UBC's requirements. 

Another question: If I was to get into McGill and complete the program, would I still have a chance finding work in other provinces?  I don't speak French, so I wouldn't be able to be certified in Quebec if I decide to stay in Canada.

Hello! 

I spoke to UWO about the GRE and was told they wouldn't look at the GRE scores, but I am Canadian so not sure if that would apply to you. The contact person I had was; Janet Harman (jharman3@uwo.ca). I've come to discover that institutions that require specific prereqs have shorter programs, unlike schools that don't, like Dalhousie for example which has none, but the program is 3 years.

You don't need French to practice in any the other provinces, with the exception of Quebec, New Brunswick (the only bilingual province) and Nunavut (there is a considerable French population). French is fairly easy to pick up, and it might be something to consider as your placements at McGill will be done in both English and French environment(s).

Good Luck!!!

Hello! 

I spoke to UWO about the GRE and was told they wouldn't look at the GRE scores, but I am Canadian so not sure if that would apply to you. The contact person I had was; Janet Harman (jharman3@uwo.ca). I've come to discover that institutions that require specific prereqs have shorter programs, unlike schools that don't, like Dalhousie for example which has none, but the program is 3 years.

You don't need French to practice in any the other provinces, with the exception of Quebec, New Brunswick (the only bilingual province) and Nunavut (there is a considerable French population). French is fairly easy to pick up, and it might be something to consider as your placements at McGill will be done in both English and French environment(s).

Good Luck!!!

Thank you very much!  Is the application fee really $270 for one university on ORPAS?  Why is it so expensive?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all and good luck to future applicants!

I keep hearing that the application process is the "worst". Why is that? I intend to apply this year for next September so was wondering If I need to get started ASAP? How long does it take to put everything together for U of T, UWO, and McGill, would you say?

I already know who my references will be and so do they.

Isn't it a matter of filling out forms and having references mail their letters in, or is the wait afterwards that is difficult and the "worst" part of it all?

Thanks! Just being cautious!

Edited by nat123

I keep hearing that the application process is the "worst". Why is that? I intend to apply this year for next September so was wondering If I need to get started ASAP? How long does it take to put everything together for U of T, UWO, and McGill, would you say?

Isn't it a matter of filling out forms and having references mail their letters in, or is the wait afterwards that is difficult and the "worst" part of it all?

While I didn't apply to any of the schools you mentioned, I think the worst part of applications is getting everything organized, requested, sent off and then the God awful wait for what seems like an eternity... My main gripe about applying last year was keeping everything organized for what each specific school wanted. I applied to 7 and not 1 was alike. Some wanted 3 LORs, others 4. Some wanted actually written/typed letters that had to be initialed across the seal while others just sent an email for me that professors could quickly fill out and email back. Others wanted everything mailed in 1 giant packet, others had me send things to 2 or 3 different addresses. It's just a headache and stress keeping everything organized and on time before deadlines start to quickly approach. I actually started my entire application process in April/May 2013 and my deadlines were all Feb 1, 2014. And I still felt rushed (I'm a little OCD about things being completed way before the deadline though...) getting professors to get their things done and back to me in time to have everything mailed off and checked to see if it was received. Applications is all about organization and time management basically lol good luck!

I agree with Missthang that keeping things organized and having good time management are essential. If you're just applying to UofT, Western and McGill, it's not too hectic though because there are a lot of similarities in terms of what's required for each application.

First, it would only be 1 application through ORPAS for UofT and Western, but the statement of intent is slightly different for each, although there's great overlap. In my case, I just adjusted a few sentences here and there between those 2. Second, everything that's required for all 3 schools can be sent electronically, except for the reference letters for ORPAS (your referees snail mail them). All of my referees who've submitted references to ORPAS several times before have told me to not worry if the reference arrives a couple days late though, that it really shouldn't make a difference, but I totally understand that it's nervewracking until you have confirmation that they've been received properly. 

It's a good idea to keep a checklist that includes everything you need for each school; that way you can easily check things off. You should also research exactly what it is you need for each school ahead of time, so that once the applications open, you can just focus on filling out the forms. From there, it's just a matter of how long it actually takes to write your statements of intent. You're limited to a certain amount of characters for each statement though, so the real challenge is gettig everything you want to say to fit, while making it succint and well-written. 

Hope that helps and good luck!