Canadian 2014 SLP

I have come to realize that there are no Canadian Schools that accept anyone with a GPA lower than 3.7 correct?  It seems like all the accepted students have 3.7 and above GPA.  So basically is it a waste of time trying to apply if your GPA is lower than a 3.7?

I have come to realize that there are no Canadian Schools that accept anyone with a GPA lower than 3.7 correct?  It seems like all the accepted students have 3.7 and above GPA.  So basically is it a waste of time trying to apply if your GPA is lower than a 3.7?

That's what I think, it seems to be the cutoff. Atleast for GPA driven schools like U of T. 

That's what I think, it seems to be the cutoff. Atleast for GPA driven schools like U of T. 

Sorry I forgot to say, ofcourse still apply. It doesn't hurt. I think if you're no lower then a 3.6 you even have a chance, you may just get waitlisted.

Are you guys talking about overall gpa, or in the last 60? My overall is only 3.65 (ORPAS), but in the last 60 credit units its 3.92. Would you say that this is not high enough for the Ontario schools? My sights are set at U of T

Also, does anyone know if Mcgill look at overall gpa, not the last 60 credit units? I thought that it was my most recent marks that mattered, but I am coming to understand this may not be true.

Are you guys talking about overall gpa, or in the last 60? My overall is only 3.65 (ORPAS), but in the last 60 credit units its 3.92. Would you say that this is not high enough for the Ontario schools? My sights are set at U of T

I am talking about the last 60 units so with your GPA you are fine with U of T.

Also, does anyone know if Mcgill look at overall gpa, not the last 60 credit units? I thought that it was my most recent marks that mattered, but I am coming to understand this may not be true.

McGill looks at your last 60 units as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Missthang that keeping things organized and having good time management are essential. If you're just applying to UofT, Western and McGill, it's not too hectic though because there are a lot of similarities in terms of what's required for each application.

First, it would only be 1 application through ORPAS for UofT and Western, but the statement of intent is slightly different for each, although there's great overlap. In my case, I just adjusted a few sentences here and there between those 2. Second, everything that's required for all 3 schools can be sent electronically, except for the reference letters for ORPAS (your referees snail mail them). All of my referees who've submitted references to ORPAS several times before have told me to not worry if the reference arrives a couple days late though, that it really shouldn't make a difference, but I totally understand that it's nervewracking until you have confirmation that they've been received properly.

It's a good idea to keep a checklist that includes everything you need for each school; that way you can easily check things off. You should also research exactly what it is you need for each school ahead of time, so that once the applications open, you can just focus on filling out the forms. From there, it's just a matter of how long it actually takes to write your statements of intent. You're limited to a certain amount of characters for each statement though, so the real challenge is gettig everything you want to say to fit, while making it succint and well-written.

Hope that helps and good luck!

My gosh! I freaked out when I read the previous comment from Missthang about applying almost a year ahead lol! But this puts me more at ease that as you said, everything is electronic and similar. I have looked at the process breakdown and it doesn't seem to involve maybe more than a month or two of prep. I guess I should get started sooner than later considering I am also going to be full-time in school and have lots of other responsibilities. Eek! Thanks!!!

Hey everyone!

Is Alberta the only school that requires a GRE test to be taken? I cannot find that any others require it but it seems confusing for McGill and not very specific. Wondering if anyone knew.

Thanks!

Hey everyone!

Is Alberta the only school that requires a GRE test to be taken? I cannot find that any others require it but it seems confusing for McGill and not very specific. Wondering if anyone knew.

Thanks!

Dalhousie requires the GRE as well.  McGill does not.  It states on their website that submitting GRE scores is optional.

Edited by Persis

My gosh! I freaked out when I read the previous comment from Missthang about applying almost a year ahead lol! But this puts me more at ease that as you said, everything is electronic and similar. I have looked at the process breakdown and it doesn't seem to involve maybe more than a month or two of prep. I guess I should get started sooner than later considering I am also going to be full-time in school and have lots of other responsibilities. Eek! Thanks!!!

I would say it's safer to start earlier than later. Editing those statements gets exhausting when everything starts looking the same. And between school, work, volunteering, and whatnot, I definitely dragged it on for a while. Not to mention that it had to be perfect  :P Best of luck!