Canadian 2014 SLP

I've read that some people have rejected their admission to Dalhousie and I was just wondering if anyone has been removed off the waiting list yet? I am contemplating on starting a directed studies project for the summer, but I just wanted to see if the list has moved at all, or if anyone has heard of the length of the list.

Any info would be great! 

Thanks!

I'm going to be applying to U of A for 2015 and I also just realized that they changed that prerequisite. Now I'm panicking, because before this, I had all my prereqs done, but now I have to take a language acquisition course through distance education and I hadn't planned for that before. I really wish they hadn't done that, but it was probably just another way to rule more applicants out.

Perhaps finish this Language Aquisition prerequisite before January 15 when applications are due.  If the course is in progress at the time of application, they'll immediately take you out!

I've read that some people have rejected their admission to Dalhousie and I was just wondering if anyone has been removed off the waiting list yet? I am contemplating on starting a directed studies project for the summer, but I just wanted to see if the list has moved at all, or if anyone has heard of the length of the list.

Any info would be great! 

Thanks!

To my knowledge the list has not moved (but there could be people who got off it who are not on this forum/who I don't know personally). I contacted the admissions secretary in regards to the length of the list but he would not give out that information. I wish they would just tell us how many people are on the list!! I don't know why they won't. Since they gave us until April 28th to get back to them maybe they are waiting for the people at the top of the list to confirm whether or not they are staying on the list before sending out new acceptances?

Dal only accepts 24 people so I can't see the list being longer than ~15 people (maybe less? :rolleyes: ), but I'm just speculating I actually have no idea.

Dal only accepts 24 people so I can't see the list being longer than ~15 people (maybe less? :rolleyes: ), but I'm just speculating I actually have no idea.

Not sure if this is helpful but deposits for accepted students are due April 29th so I'm guessing you'll hear definitively after that! 

I'm thinking it will be after the 28th that any waitlisters will hear back from Dal.

Not sure if this is helpful but deposits for accepted students are due April 29th so I'm guessing you'll hear definitively after that! 

Thanks for the info! I was also wondering if anyone knew if schools (Dal) accept any further information from references (such as that I have gained quite a bit more hours with a SLP since January). I don't think that they would accept anymore information, but my parents keep trying to push me to do something of the sort :unsure:. I had indicated in the forms that I would be continuing to volunteer, so I figured that would be sufficient (also since they have the contact info, I figured that they would just contact them directly if needed).

i didn't apply to Dal but when I was waitlisted last year at UBC, I sent them a letter of continued intent and update. I think it's always good to do this when you have been waitlisted because it is something not everyone does and it shows you are still (very) interested! 

Thanks for the info! I was also wondering if anyone knew if schools (Dal) accept any further information from references (such as that I have gained quite a bit more hours with a SLP since January). I don't think that they would accept anymore information, but my parents keep trying to push me to do something of the sort :unsure:. I had indicated in the forms that I would be continuing to volunteer, so I figured that would be sufficient (also since they have the contact info, I figured that they would just contact them directly if needed).

i didn't apply to Dal but when I was waitlisted last year at UBC, I sent them a letter of continued intent and update. I think it's always good to do this when you have been waitlisted because it is something not everyone does and it shows you are still (very) interested! 

I was also wondering about sending updated transcripts. I know my subGPA has improved with my winter semester marks and I was wondering if they would accept them. Any thoughts on this?

Perhaps finish this Language Aquisition prerequisite before January 15 when applications are due.  If the course is in progress at the time of application, they'll immediately take you out!

I'll keep that in mind! That seems like an overly harsh rule to have, but I guess that's how it is :(

I'm thinking it will be after the 28th that any waitlisters will hear back from Dal.

I'm wishing you well!!! I know the frustration of trying so hard, getting on the waitlist for the past couple of times is an amazing accomplishment in itself!!!  good luck!

I'm wishing you well!!! I know the frustration of trying so hard, getting on the waitlist for the past couple of times is an amazing accomplishment in itself!!!  good luck!

Thank you! :)

My acceptance to the group is still pending. :( It's giving me a complex. Haha

I messaged the group admin - she mentioned that there were quite a few people who requested to be added who weren't actually in the program, so I think she just wants to confirm that people are actually going to be attending!  She seems super nice though!  So I would say to just send her a quick PM.

CDAtoSLP, Erin?? Just guessing its you based on your story! I was in your aud lab at Georgian back in 2012 and wanted to say congratulations! So glad all your hard work paid off! ...and if you're not erin then congrats regardless!

Ahh, ya it's me.  Thanks!  I just finished teaching the CDA clinic labs too, I was a lot more in my element for that.  I'm really looking forward to starting school, and who knows, maybe I can buy Li's books.

Thanks, and if you are applying, keep it up.  Feel free to provate message, 

Thank again

They say last two years, but they also look at all prereqs regardless of when they were taken from what I understand.

And if I got in, it MUST be last 2 years. :wacko:

Hi PsycD, Does it say on their website that they look at the last two years? or did someone mention it to you?

They say last two years, but they also look at all prereqs regardless of when they were taken from what I understand.

And if I got in, it MUST be last 2 years. :wacko:

Sorry, about previous message you already answered that.  I meant to ask about the prereqs.  Do you know if they will accept them if they were taken 10 years ago?  You mentioned that they look at them regardless of when they were taken?

Sorry, about previous message you already answered that.  I meant to ask about the prereqs.  Do you know if they will accept them if they were taken 10 years ago?  You mentioned that they look at them regardless of when they were taken?

Hey, Ase! I'm not sure if McGill follows the "10-Year-Rule" method when assessing prereqs. I hope that it's not like some other places where the rule is applied without being explicitly stated in the application instructions. I would contact the graduate program director and ask her. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance!

Hey, Ase! I'm not sure if McGill follows the "10-Year-Rule" method when assessing prereqs. I hope that it's not like some other places where the rule is applied without being explicitly stated in the application instructions. I would contact the graduate program director and ask her. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance!

NP problem. Thank you. I will do that.

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist for U of T yet?

Nope, haven't gotten off of it yet. I'm going to Western regardless though (don't want to have to take that last pre-req for U of T). I contacted Mabel a few days ago regarding the wait-list status at U of T and she said that the wait-list will remain active until July or until the class is full.

Edited by SLP2014WIS

Ah okay, I'm anxiously waiting on U of T haha. Looking at last year's posts, it seems that people started getting calls on April 22nd, so I was getting worried! Anyway, congrats on Western! Definitely not worth taking an extra course when you've already got an acceptance :)

Thanks! Good luck with U of T!  I have my fingers crossed that you'll hear good news from the department soon.  :)