Canadian 2014 SLP

I'm excited to see everyone's selecting their final choices :) Looking forward to see U of T students in the fall and to those who selected other universities, wishing you guys the best! Either way, I'm sure the next two years will be wonderful. Also good luck to those in their waitlists for their first choice!

Haha looks like Toronto's doing pretty well tonight. I also just declined Western and McGill for Toronto! Everyone on waitlists, I hope you hear soon!

I, like my new-found twin kckc, have just accepted my offer to Toronto. I have declined Western and am just about to decline McGill as well. BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE ON THE WAITLISTS! :)

Edited to add: Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions at all i.e. stats or why I chose UofT over Western and McGill

p.s. Shout out to all the new friends I met today at the open house :)

Hey guys! I am declining my spots at Dalhousie, McGill, UWO and accepting at U of T so I hope that this opens up some spots for people! Goodluck with your decisions!

I love you all and I hope I'll hear from McGill soon!!  :D Congrats on your acceptances!!

I'm excited to see everyone's selecting their final choices :) Looking forward to see U of T students in the fall and to those who selected other universities, wishing you guys the best! Either way, I'm sure the next two years will be wonderful. Also good luck to those in their waitlists for their first choice!

I just wanted to say that I love the combination of your screen name and your avatar  :P

Hi everyone!

I'm relatively new to this board and have recently decided to go to UofT next year. If anyone wants to get an apartment together next year give me a message :).

I JUST GOT IN AT MCGILL!!!!!!  :D Definitely have all of you guys who declined to thank!

So my spots at UofT, Western, Dal, and Ottawa will be freed up!

If anyone going to McGill would like to meet up or start a Facebook, let me know!

I JUST GOT IN AT MCGILL!!!!!! :D Definitely have all of you guys who declined to thank!

If anyone going to McGill would like to meet up or start a Facebook, let me know!

Yessssss!!! Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

I JUST GOT IN AT MCGILL!!!!!!  :D Definitely have all of you guys who declined to thank!

THAT'S FANTASTIC!!!!! SO HAPPY. CONGRATS.

YAY!!!!! congrats!!!!!!!! :D :D all you awesome people... maybe I should apply to McGill next year if UBC doesn't take me in ....hmmmmmm..... i like snow....

You def should! But, you will be starting at UBC in the fall :-)

My sob story.  I applied to U of T and I was positive that I would get in due to my GPA, pre-req grades, references and clinical experience.  Even my referees told me so.  However, my last 10 full courses were in fact taken more than 10 years ago and I got a rejection.  If this is official policy of not accepting courses older than 10 years, isn't this discrimination against mature students?  If I had known beforehand, then I would not have bothered applying and wasted thousands of dollars on the pre-req course fees and so much effort with the references and clinical experience.  Is this rule mentioned on the website somewhere as I did not know that it existed.

Asemooooooo, how did you hear about this rule?

I discovered this rule when I first applied 4 years ago.. The web site (at the time) did mention that they "usually" like courses/pre reqs to be taken within the last 10 years.  Although I agree with Asemoooo that it is not descrimination in that things change and they want to ensure that you are current in your education, I also hear your frustration.  I graduated, then took the CDA course, then worked for 8 years doing speech therapy, and had to go back to school because my phonetic (and every other) course was out of date, but really, I had been working using IPA every day.  So I feel your pain!!!!

Asemooo, you asked about taking courses at U f T, that was something I did over the last couple of years, I took 2 classes that were joint linguistics and speech (JLS) and they were offered in the rehab science building and taught by the SLP program staff.  I felt it was beneficial to be in the building and make my presence known.  I also took a few course on main campus to ensure that one of my academic references was from a U of T prof, again, it was my fourth attempt, so I was switching things up.

Hope this helps

I discovered this rule when I first applied 4 years ago.. The web site (at the time) did mention that they "usually" like courses/pre reqs to be taken within the last 10 years.  Although I agree with Asemoooo that it is not descrimination in that things change and they want to ensure that you are current in your education, I also hear your frustration.  I graduated, then took the CDA course, then worked for 8 years doing speech therapy, and had to go back to school because my phonetic (and every other) course was out of date, but really, I had been working using IPA every day.  So I feel your pain!!!!

Asemooo, you asked about taking courses at U f T, that was something I did over the last couple of years, I took 2 classes that were joint linguistics and speech (JLS) and they were offered in the rehab science building and taught by the SLP program staff.  I felt it was beneficial to be in the building and make my presence known.  I also took a few course on main campus to ensure that one of my academic references was from a U of T prof, again, it was my fourth attempt, so I was switching things up.

Hope this helps

CDAtoSLP, how did you  go about taking the courses.  Did you have to apply to the school?  A friend of mine who graduated from the SLP program advised me not to take the prerequisites at U of T as she found it difficult.  Did you find the profs and the courses difficult?

Edited by Asemooooooo

My sob story.  I applied to U of T and I was positive that I would get in due to my GPA, pre-req grades, references and clinical experience.  Even my referees told me so.  However, my last 10 full courses were in fact taken more than 10 years ago and I got a rejection.  If this is official policy of not accepting courses older than 10 years, isn't this discrimination against mature students?  If I had known beforehand, then I would not have bothered applying and wasted thousands of dollars on the pre-req course fees and so much effort with the references and clinical experience.  Is this rule mentioned on the website somewhere as I did not know that it existed.

Asemooooooo, how did you hear about this rule?

This is an interesting issue and I'm not sure how cut-and-dry it really is. It might be worth contacting the universities directly to discuss when and how they apply this policy. I completed my undergraduate degree in 2003, and some of the courses that I used for prerequisites were completed in 2002. That said, some of the courses that I am using for prerequisites will be completed this May. I also completed a Master of Arts programme in 2010. I have a varied academic history and made this clear during the application process. I was offered admission to both of the schools that I applied to. I feel very, very fortunate to have been offered admission and share this story because I believe that there is some flexibility in how the policy is applied. It would be worth asking the hard questions to the graduate coordinators at the schools of your interest.

This is an interesting issue and I'm not sure how cut-and-dry it really is. It might be worth contacting the universities directly to discuss when and how they apply this policy. I completed my undergraduate degree in 2003, and some of the courses that I used for prerequisites were completed in 2002. That said, some of the courses that I am using for prerequisites will be completed this May. I also completed a Master of Arts programme in 2010. I have a varied academic history and made this clear during the application process. I was offered admission to both of the schools that I applied to. I feel very, very fortunate to have been offered admission and share this story because I believe that there is some flexibility in how the policy is applied. It would be worth asking the hard questions to the graduate coordinators at the schools of your interest.

Interesting and did you get into any schools?

Edited by Asemooooooo

Hi!

I am new to this forum! Congrats to all the lucky ones who got accepted!

I am waitlisted at Ottawa and wondering if anyone has more details about the waitlist, or about candidates who refused their offer?

Thanks!

Hi!

I am new to this forum! Congrats to all the lucky ones who got accepted!

I am waitlisted at Ottawa and wondering if anyone has more details about the waitlist, or about candidates who refused their offer?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the other applicants who got accepted at Ottawa, but I just declined my offer through ORPAS last night, so that's one person less! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, and best of luck!  :)

Hey! I'm also new, and recently accepted my offer at U of A, despite never having been to Edmonton!  From my lurking I haven't noticed a ton of people going west. Is anyone else heading out to Alberta?

I KNEW IT WOULD HAPPEN FOR YOU, I KNEW IT. CONGRATS!!!! :D

Hey! I'm also new, and recently accepted my offer at U of A, despite never having been to Edmonton!  From my lurking I haven't noticed a ton of people going west. Is anyone else heading out to Alberta?

HEY! I just found out I got off the waitlist at U of A, so I'll be heading west instead of east! Congrats on getting accepted as well! I've never lived in Edmonton, but every time I've visited or gone shopping there I've enjoyed it!

Edited by beaschwa

HEY! I just found out I got off the waitlist at U of A, so I'll be heading west instead of east! Congrats on getting accepted as well! I've never lived in Edmonton, but every time I've visited or gone shopping there I've enjoyed it!

CONGRATS!!! I'm so happy people on waitlists are starting to hear! :)

Just got my rejection letter from Dalhousie and it was my second time applying. I am not surprised, but it still hurts, espically since I worked my butt off to raise my GPA and make my application more competative :( Oh well, such is life! I have also applied to some other amazing grad programs - OT and Social Work (which I think a few of us on this forum have done), so I have some great alternative plans!

I am SO happy for everyone that got into their dream school and I have my fingers crossed for those of you still waiting and on wait lists! I hope I get to work with some of you in the future as part of a health care team someday! You are all so determined, passionate and hard working and will make incredible SLPs.

Just got my rejection letter from Dalhousie and it was my second time applying. I am not surprised, but it still hurts, espically since I worked my butt off to raise my GPA and make my application more competative :( Oh well, such is life! I have also applied to some other amazing grad programs - OT and Social Work (which I think a few of us on this forum have done), so I have some great alternative plans!

I am SO happy for everyone that got into their dream school and I have my fingers crossed for those of you still waiting and on wait lists! I hope I get to work with some of you in the future as part of a health care team someday! You are all so determined, passionate and hard working and will make incredible SLPs.

Did you only apply to Dal?

Hey kaetd, I am also most likely accepting my offer at U of A. I've never been to Edmonton but have heard great things about U of A's program. It's nice to know that I won't be the only Ontarionian moving to Alberta :) 

Hey kaetd, I am also most likely accepting my offer at U of A. I've never been to Edmonton but have heard great things about U of A's program. It's nice to know that I won't be the only Ontarionian moving to Alberta :)

It is exciting to meet future/potentially future classmates! I chose U of A because Edmonton is such a fun city and both SLP's I volunteer under graduated from there and loved the program!  :)

Hi all,

I need someone's advice (please)... I'll be completing my undergraduate degree (in Psychology) this semester (Winter 2014). I've been accepted to an unrelated SLP Canadian Master's program (starting in Fall 2014). The thing is, I have almost all the prerequisite courses needed to apply to the SLP program at University of Ottawa, except for one. Since my chances of getting accepted aren't that high, I'd still like to enroll in the Master's program I've already been accepted to as a "safety". But, I was wondering... Do you think it would be possible for me to apply to UofO this year (for Fall 2015 admission) while already being enrolled in this Master's program? At that point, I'll have barely completed my first semester. Then, if I would get accepted at UofO, I would leave that program and take the prerequisite course I'm missing in Winter 2015 as an independent student somewhere... I feel like this is not exactly "legal", if that makes any sense... Thanks for your help! :)