Canadian 2014 SLP

I'm considering doing it really old school and faxing it hahaha. I've never actually faxed anything before!

Hahahah I always use fax.. do it, it's the best! Maybe I'll fax mine too!

So I just feel the need to post this to a. vent about it and b. Warn anyone considering uottawa about the mess that is their administrative department. The deadline for uottawa to inform us about admission decisions was the first, like all other Ontario schools. The first passed by and stressed out me got zero emails, owl postal service or letters streaming out of my chimney. (Those are the typical methods schools use no?) Anyhow, contacted the head of the graduate admissions department the next day to ask whats going on and she forwarded my info to their secretary. According to their records they emailed me. Well no, you didn't. There's absolutely nothing from you in my inbox or spam or whatever. So she tells me to call her. I don't even want to say how many times I have called and messages I have left. But still, no answer.

And now its the weekend and I have to wait again until Monday to start this process over again.

So I just feel the need to post this to a. vent about it and b. Warn anyone considering uottawa about the mess that is their administrative department. The deadline for uottawa to inform us about admission decisions was the first, like all other Ontario schools. The first passed by and stressed out me got zero emails, owl postal service or letters streaming out of my chimney. (Those are the typical methods schools use no?) Anyhow, contacted the head of the graduate admissions department the next day to ask whats going on and she forwarded my info to their secretary. According to their records they emailed me. Well no, you didn't. There's absolutely nothing from you in my inbox or spam or whatever. So she tells me to call her. I don't even want to say how many times I have called and messages I have left. But still, no answer.

And now its the weekend and I have to wait again until Monday to start this process over again.

Is it possibly in your spam folder again? I hope things get sorted out soon for you!

Edited to add: just realized you said it wasn't in there either. nvm!

Edited by MtlGal

Rejected by western and UofT, but thankfully I've been waitlisted at Dal as well. It seems like there is quite a long list... too bad we can't receive any rankings.

Does anyone know the class size at dal?

Edited by letsgo

Rejected by western and UofT, but thankfully I've been waitlisted at Dal as well. It seems like there is quite a long list... too bad we can't receive any rankings.

The class size at Dal is 24! A friend of a friend in the program told me that in the current class, 4 people got in off the waitlist. But each year is different! All depends on everyone's options. I'm not sure how big the waitlist is. 

I did my undergrad at Ottawa U and I can confirm that the admin is a COMPLETE nightmare!!!

When I was applying for my masters I needed all my transcripts to be sent in (one from Ottawa U, one from Utah State) Utah had theirs signed sealed and delivered within 4 days, UOttawa took about three weeks, nothing showed up at my schools, I called probably 10 times and people kept telling me it "must have been lost in the mail" or maybe "it was never sent" and they tried to charge me again to resend another one. Thats only one of my 45 disaster stories of Ottawa U. 

I did my undergrad at Ottawa U and I can confirm that the admin is a COMPLETE nightmare!!!

When I was applying for my masters I needed all my transcripts to be sent in (one from Ottawa U, one from Utah State) Utah had theirs signed sealed and delivered within 4 days, UOttawa took about three weeks, nothing showed up at my schools, I called probably 10 times and people kept telling me it "must have been lost in the mail" or maybe "it was never sent" and they tried to charge me again to resend another one. Thats only one of my 45 disaster stories of Ottawa U. 

Hey LMZ, I agree- uOttawa admin is total crap. I did my undergrad there and nothing is worse- all the students are aware its terrible too.

p.s. I saw you got into NYU, congrats! I also applied to NYU and Boston U last year. 

I just wanted to share that I did part of my undergrad at uOttawa and have never had any issues with them. I sent nine transcripts this year from them and I believe three last year (as this is my second time applying for graduate schools) and everything went smoothly. In fact, I felt that my transcripts were delivered quite fast. I guess we've all had different experiences with them haha  :)

Edited by BU14

I know a girl who declined her Dal acceptance a few days ago so that's at least one spot that will open up for someone on the waitlist

My sob story.  I applied to U of T and I was positive that I would get in due to my GPA, pre-req grades, references and clinical experience.  Even my referees told me so.  However, my last 10 full courses were in fact taken more than 10 years ago and I got a rejection.  If this is official policy of not accepting courses older than 10 years, isn't this discrimination against mature students?  If I had known beforehand, then I would not have bothered applying and wasted thousands of dollars on the pre-req course fees and so much effort with the references and clinical experience.  Is this rule mentioned on the website somewhere as I did not know that it existed.

Asemooooooo, how did you hear about this rule?

UBC was my top choice. After being rejected for the second time this year, I again inquired with admissions on how I could improve my application for next year. I was told that I met all requirements, etc. etc. etc., and there was a large applicant pool, but that there are no further recommendations! So, I am kind of at a loss. I would have liked to hear *something* - i.e. gain this or that, applicants accepted had a more competitive GPA...something! Any tips for those of you who have been accepted to UBC would be greatly appreciated, so I can kind of compare and see where I stand, as I try and figure this out for next year. Thank you!!!! :)

My sob story.  I applied to U of T and I was positive that I would get in due to my GPA, pre-req grades, references and clinical experience.  Even my referees told me so.  However, my last 10 full courses were in fact taken more than 10 years ago and I got a rejection.  If this is official policy of not accepting courses older than 10 years, isn't this discrimination against mature students?  If I had known beforehand, then I would not have bothered applying and wasted thousands of dollars on the pre-req course fees and so much effort with the references and clinical experience.  Is this rule mentioned on the website somewhere as I did not know that it existed.

Asemooooooo, how did you hear about this rule?

slp16, Yes, i read it on their website somewhere.  Also, CDAtoSLP mentioned the same thing way back at the begining of this thread that she had to re-take classes  because her courses were more than 10 years old which they do not consider.  It is a general rule for most schools as well.  I don't think it is a discrimination against mature students.  I think it is because things keep changing.  I have been taking courses myself, and i have come to realize that all those courses i took several years ago have changed.  

Did anyone ever paid to take GRE classes and was it helpful?  I am thinking about taking classes at U of T.  Any input would be great.  Thanks.

I had one friend do it and she said it helped, but mostly because the financial commitment motivated her to study a LOT. I think if you're the type who can self-motivate to use a study book (I used Kaplan and studied for one summer) or do online tests consistently, you can definitely forgo the class. If you need that extra push to be really on top of it, the class will definitely help! 

I had one friend do it and she said it helped, but mostly because the financial commitment motivated her to study a LOT. I think if you're the type who can self-motivate to use a study book (I used Kaplan and studied for one summer) or do online tests consistently, you can definitely forgo the class. If you need that extra push to be really on top of it, the class will definitely help! 

Sounds good. Thanks CaraL, i actually like to study at my own pace, so perhaps i will try the study book.

Sounds good. Thanks CaraL, i actually like to study at my own pace, so perhaps i will try the study book.

Also download POWERPREP software. It is free and is a MUST. It is set up exactly like the GRE exam with very similar types of questions. I used it and when I went into the exam I knew what to expect. I tried other online programs etc (which I found were way too easy and underprepared me) and nothing was as good as POWERPREP.

http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/powerprep2

Edited: Sometimes the link doesn't work and you can just google ETS powerprep  :)

Edited by SALY

Also download POWERPREP software. It is free and is a MUST. It is set up exactly like the GRE exam with very similar types of questions. I used it and when I went into the exam I knew what to expect. I tried other online programs etc (which I found were way too easy and underprepared me) and nothing was as good as POWERPREP.

http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/powerprep2

Edited: Sometimes the link doesn't work and you can just google ETS powerprep  :)

Thanks SALY, i have downloaded this already.

Attending UWO in the fall and could not be happier. This was my second year applying. I'm from Northern Ontario and attended Laurentian University for my undergrad. After getting wait listed last year I moved to St. Catharines to take the certificate program at Brock. If you didn't get in don't give up! If anyone has questions about the certificate program at Brock I'd be happy to chat with you. 

That's great SLP 177! You are the first person I've talked to going to UWO. I'm so excited to start school! We should start a facebook group. :)

I'll join! I'm also headed to Western in the fall. It was my first year applying. I was lucky enough to get in on one shot, even without a perfect GPA. It's possible, folks! Don't give up if you didn't get in this year. Life experience helps...

UBC was my top choice. After being rejected for the second time this year, I again inquired with admissions on how I could improve my application for next year. I was told that I met all requirements, etc. etc. etc., and there was a large applicant pool, but that there are no further recommendations! So, I am kind of at a loss. I would have liked to hear *something* - i.e. gain this or that, applicants accepted had a more competitive GPA...something! Any tips for those of you who have been accepted to UBC would be greatly appreciated, so I can kind of compare and see where I stand, as I try and figure this out for next year. Thank you!!!! :)

I PM'ed you!