Canadian 2014 SLP

A grad student from Western was kind enough to give my friends and I a tour of the slp faculty at UWO and i only have positive comments to say about the campus , the program, the students but mainly their clinical focus and placements opportunities. Does anyone know if U of T is as clinical focus as western or is it more research oriented?

Waitlisted at UofT but probably taking myself off that - hope it helps someone else! Still holding out hope for Seattle!! 

I accepted Western's offer over the weekend! :) I rejected Toronto's offer so that will open up another spot for somebody on the Waitlist! Good luck to everyone still waiting. 

Edited by MPA_111

Can anyone offer advice as to how to choose between Western and UofT (e.g. differences in the program, living downtown vs. in a smaller town, etc.)? Or what factors made you choose one over the other?

Edit: Wooo caffeinated status unlocked!

Edited by MtlGal

Thank goodness! Ottawa has finally let me know ive been waitlisted. So more waiting, but a different kinda stress now!

As much as id love to be your classmate and all for anyone considering between speech and audiology at uottawa do your research and make a good decision (hopefully speech so I get in ;) )!

Congratulations princesspeech! Do you mind if I ask what made you pick U of T over UWO?

Thanks! :) I was going to answer people's questions about why I chose UofT over UWO but I felt I was heavily biased because I did my undergrad at U of T. Plus I live in the GTA so that was a big factor. I didn't want to move to London and worry about housing on top of tuition.

I love downtown Toronto and I volunteered/worked in one of the faculty members' labs for experience and so I knew it was a high quality program with brilliant researchers and faculty. All my volunteer hours (clinical) were under SLPs who graduated from U of T and they only had positive things about it. One of the biggest things that I liked was the curriculum - I liked that they do the units so I wouldn't have to worry about preparing for clients while doing the academic term and when it's time for placement I can really immerse myself in the experience without worrying about school work.  I also feel like I'd have better networking opportunities in the GTA because they're affiliated with so many networks and hospitals but I'm biased since I never actually went to Western to talk about their clinical focus. I still have notes about reasons to choose U of T from today's workshop so if you want more details, PM me :)

Haha looks like Toronto's doing pretty well tonight. I also just declined Western and McGill for Toronto! Everyone on waitlists, I hope you hear soon!

I, like my new-found twin kckc, have just accepted my offer to Toronto. I have declined Western and am just about to decline McGill as well. BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE ON THE WAITLISTS! :)

Edited to add: Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions at all i.e. stats or why I chose UofT over Western and McGill

p.s. Shout out to all the new friends I met today at the open house :)

Edited by kk.

SLPossible, if you don't mind me asking how do you know this?

Hi Asemoo,

Unfortunately, most come to learn these things through word of mouth as new grads looking for jobs. Sometimes, Reps at job fairs will explicitly tell you that they prefer students from this school, or that school, for whatever reason. Sometimes they will just warn you flat out that they prefer not to hire new grads from your school because of that school's focus. That said, not every employer cares that much, or bothers discriminating in this way (it really depends on the employer, or even just the staff doing the hiring), and it's not like they bar you from working there. I know people who graduating from UWO and got their first job in places known to hold this bias. So in the end it's really up to you, your experience, and how well you do in the interview... Sorry! I don't want to freak anyone out, your school does not determine the fate of your career, but it's still an important factor to keep in mind when deciding on a school! It does have an effect on your "hireability" as a new grad. But more than anything, where you do your placements determines your hireability as a new grad, so just make sure you really push for getting as many placements as possible in the area you want to practice in... And if you don't know where that is yet, just make your best bet and go for it, the clinical coordinators really do pay attention to how much interest you show in a certain area, and there is a good amount of competition between student for certain kinds of placements (I know, I know, the competition never ends...)

I was comparing clinical placement hours at different universities and noticed U of A has more than double the hours compared to Western. For U of A they require 818 hours of clinical placement hours and for Western it's 350 hours. Does anyone know if students at U of A find the extra clinical hours helpful? Or maybe the number of clinical hours takes away time from the classroom, so students may at times feel unprepared in the clinical setting? 

I was comparing clinical placement hours at different universities and noticed U of A has more than double the hours compared to Western. For U of A they require 818 hours of clinical placement hours and for Western it's 350 hours. Does anyone know if students at U of A find the extra clinical hours helpful? Or maybe the number of clinical hours takes away time from the classroom, so students may at times feel unprepared in the clinical setting? 

Keep in mind that the 350 hours is only a sum of CASLPA's minimum requirements -- you will actually get MANY more hours than this. For instance, CASLPA requires a minimum of 10 hours in Fluency, but I gained over 40 clinical hours in my placement.

In case anyone was wondering I emailed U of A and the 818 hours on their website was a mistake. They require 350 clinical hours (the same as Ontario schools). 

Thanks for clarifying that! I had a hard time choosing between UofA and Western too. Both schools seem great and people kept telling me before I made my decision that whatever school you choose will be the best school in your opinion anyway so there's no bad choice! This may not have helped much but good luck with your decision! If you choose Western then I will be meeting you in the Fall!  :)

I have accepted my offer to attend Western in the fall! I did my undergrad here as well so I'm excited that I don't have to leave just yet. Can't wait to meet you all :)