Canadian 2014 SLP

Got a rejection letter from UofT this afternoon - feeling defeated.

Sorry about that! :( Just thought I'd let you know that the deadline for the Brock program hasn't passed yet (if you're still considering it). 

Edited by BU14

You mean Psych lab at the school?  What if you are not in school anymore?

If you are not in school, you could try other research avenues.  I had also called the Speech and Stuttering Institute in Toronto and asked about volunteering with research, they had spots available, but it was when I was working, so I could not do it.  

If you aren't in school, but your grades are top notch, then just getting experience can help

I had taken 1-2 courses each year over the last 5 years to but then resign from work to take a full course load last January.

Hope this is helpful

If you are not in school, you could try other research avenues.  I had also called the Speech and Stuttering Institute in Toronto and asked about volunteering with research, they had spots available, but it was when I was working, so I could not do it.  

If you aren't in school, but your grades are top notch, then just getting experience can help

I had taken 1-2 courses each year over the last 5 years to but then resign from work to take a full course load last January.

Hope this is helpful

I am not in school and my grades are not top notch more like average.  I have been taken classes as well.  I do have lots of related experiences as well.  Maybe i will look into the Speech and Stuttering Institute.  Thanks for your help.

Hi everyone! I have been following this forum for the last few months and have finally decided to post as well. I was a first time applicant this year and I have been accepted to U of A, Western, and Dalhousie, waitlisted at Ottawa, and rejected from McGill. I'm also no expert on how the schools are making their decisions but I am open to sharing my stats for anyone who didn't get in :(  I'm also hesitant to post stats on the forum but please PM me if you want info.

On another note, any advice from anyone on how to pick between U of A and Western?  Those are the 2 schools I'm most torn between!

I'm also debating between U of A and Western. I know someone at Western who really enjoys it and says the in-house clinic is great for experience. I haven't heard very much about U of A though. I wish we had more time to decide! 

Thanks Kats, Its reassuring to know that many other great applicants were turned down as well.  I had a good cry this morning but am still not feeling great.

That being said, its another year to build on our applications right? I definitely will be trying to get involved with more volunteer opportunities this coming year.  That being said, has anyone heard anything about the speech and language sciences certificate program at Brock University? It is a one year course and you are awarded a graduate certificate at the end. Although it is too late to apply for this year, do you think this would be a good stepping stone?

I know that each year, one or two students who do the certificate program likely get accepted to either UofT or Western (or both). I know about 2 people personally who got in after doing the certificate program and they each told me about a friend who also got in this way. It seems that the Ontario schools like to make their classes more diverse by including applicants from all over the place. Which is why I am going to say that the application process is a super confusing one. There's people with all kinds of stats who are getting in and some very impressive applicants who weren't as lucky.

I was accepted at Western and Toronto today too. I was wondering if anyone has heard from or applied for OGS at UofT?

Not yet! Still waiting! :)

I am also on the wait list for uoft.. I've heard there are 30 ppl on that wait list. Anyone know how many are on the wait list for western?

I heard they usually have 70?

I realllyyyy want to!! So those deciding between McGill and another school, you know which to not pick!  :lol:

I'm probably going to stay in Ontario so my McGill spot should be freed up soon for one of you guys!

Congrats to all those who have been accepted, but for those who haven't, I'm in the same boat. This was my first year applying, but it's still very discouraging. I'm just waiting to go home for a good cry.

For those who have been accepted, I was wondering what other experience you may have. I am working in two different research labs (cognition/natural behaviour and an infant development/ language lab), and I have been volunteering with a SLP since October. My past jobs have not been with children per say, but I have worked for various attractions where I would interact with children and families often. I've always been interested in some kind of mission trip to help those in other countries with English. But, I was just wondering what you may suggest to help my application to stand above the rest next year.

Thanks Kats,  as I am in the same boat (applied to McGill, Western & UBC...have not heard from UBC but I'm guessing since I haven't heard from now and others have been accepted/waitlisted, I'm just waiting for the rejection letter in the mail). It's a difficult process and this was my 2nd round of applying, and I haven't even gotten on a waitlist. It's gut wrenching, really.  If anyone can share their stats/what the did/etc that would be so appreciative, as I'm not sure which way to go now. I have direct work experience, great LOR, upgraded my GPA this past year through Athabasca, and still nothing. All morning I have been googling Plan B ideas but nothing is half as appealing, but I'm not sure if I can go through this process again!

Hi everyone, 

This is my second time applying at UBC and first time at applying at Toronto and Western. Unfortunately, I got rejected from all schools  :( . I honestly thought I could at least be waitlisted at UBC since it was my second time applying (I did my undergrad there as well) and my references were even UBC graduate professors of the masters program. I don't know what else I could have done since I thought my SOI was well written and had 400+ hours volunteering with children AND adults in both clinical and school settings. I also have a sGPA of 3.9. Any advice? Today has not been going so well  :(

Hey guys! Clearly, I just caught up on the forum and made a bunch of replies as I read through. Congrats again to everyone who has gotten in and to those who have been wait-listed or who did not get accepted this year, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH. Keep on trying because I know you will all make incredible SLPs and Audiologists. I am a first-time applicant and I feel so blessed to have gotten in everywhere I applied. This has been my dream since I was 6 years old and the one goal I have been working towards ever since I can remember. Please feel free to PM me if you want to know more about my stats. I will chime in about the research and say that although I didn't work in a lab, I did do an honours thesis and I have some international research experience specifically in SLP at a university and their onsite clinic overseas.

p.s. Since I'll be making a decision soon, I'll let you guys know what I decide. I hope that two wonderful people here will get the spots that I open up once I make my decision!

Edited by kk.

I'm probably going to stay in Ontario so my McGill spot should be freed up soon for one of you guys!

Congrats on acceptances in Ontario! And I'm sooo happy to hear that! Can I ask what made you decide to stay in Ontario?

It's also inspiring to learn that you've been working toward this your whole life basically. It's still just sinking in that I'm going to be an SLP! For those who are waitlisted or rejected this application cycle, definitely do not give up on the dream! That feeling once you find out you've been accepted, it's worth the wait and time and effort you put in.

Sorry to hear trejsi, don't give up.  I got in to U of T, it was my 4th year applying!

Thanks CDAtoSLP. Still waiting to hear back from some schools, but if it's not my year, I'm already making plans on how to improve my application even more again. Congratulations on your acceptance into UofT!

Just wondering if U of T has a policy of accepting applicants with bachelor degrees obtained only within the last 5 years?

I think it goes by the courses.  If your last 10 full courses were taken more than 10 years ago, then they will not accept it.  After ten years you are out of luck.

Congrats on acceptances in Ontario! And I'm sooo happy to hear that! Can I ask what made you decide to stay in Ontario?

It's also inspiring to learn that you've been working toward this your whole life basically. It's still just sinking in that I'm going to be an SLP! For those who are waitlisted or rejected this application cycle, definitely do not give up on the dream! That feeling once you find out you've been accepted, it's worth the wait and time and effort you put in.

Thanks! Ontario is just closer to home! And financially, it would make more sense. There are a whole bunch of other reasons and I haven't COMPLETELY crossed McGill off the list, but I am definitely leaning towards the Ontario schools. I really really do love that McGill is a class of 27 though and Montreal - oh gosh, Montreal!!!

Hi and congratulations to all those who were successful this year, especially people who have perservered and reapplied! It can be done, so no one should lose hope.

I just found this forum today, I wish I'd found it earlier. I've been accepted to UofA, but the wait would have been so much easier if I'd been able to share it with people who were agonizing over the same things I was.

As I was reading through the posts, I came across this one from DeafAudi and I immediately went through my letters from the Department and School of Grad Studies, but I couldn't find any mention of a deposit. I'd be devastated to lose my spot because of some oversight on my part - does anyone know whether UofA requires a deposit when you accept? I'd emailed Vicki and Noriko so many times over the past months, I'm too embarrassed :rolleyes:  to do it again - maybe someone here knows?

The deadline to accept the offer in writing is April 7 and the deposit is due April 14. Hope that helps!

This is such a great group of people, I'd be so happy to spend the next two years studying with any of you guys. Thanks!

As I was reading through the posts, I came across this one from DeafAudi and I immediately went through my letters from the Department and School of Grad Studies, but I couldn't find any mention of a deposit. I'd be devastated to lose my spot because of some oversight on my part - does anyone know whether UofA requires a deposit when you accept? I'd emailed Vicki and Noriko so many times over the past months, I'm too embarrassed :rolleyes:  to do it again - maybe someone here knows?

Congrats on your acceptance to UofA! I'm not in SLP but I know people in the program and they have nothing but great things to say :).

I don't think all schools require a deposit but I would call just in case. Trust me, they deal with these questions all the time!

Hi and congratulations to all those who were successful this year, especially people who have perservered and reapplied! It can be done, so no one should lose hope.

I just found this forum today, I wish I'd found it earlier. I've been accepted to UofA, but the wait would have been so much easier if I'd been able to share it with people who were agonizing over the same things I was.

This is such a great group of people, I'd be so happy to spend the next two years studying with any of you guys. Thanks!

Ah my email didn't say anything of a deposit either for U of A! Just that I need to send my final transcripts by July 2015 and that they will contact me once they have filled their quota.

Thanks, DeafAudi and SALY for your replies.

I emailed financial services and was told that a deposit is not required, so if anyone is still feeling (a bit) anxious (like me - I sort of still can't believe I got in, the competition is so tough - you can see that just looking at the posts here), this is one less thing-that-might-possibly-go-wrong to fret about.

Haha, I completely understand! Sometimes I still expect the school to be like, "oops, we made a mistake!"  :rolleyes: . I've paid the deposit and received my official graduate school acceptance, so I know I just need to relax!

To those who have been accepted to U of T, did you get a call from faculty today?

Yes I did! :) I thought it was a nice touch that both UofT and Western gave me a call 

I received acceptance off the wait list at UBC today! Anyone waiting on Western - the line will be moving soon!

Excited to meet you DeafAudi! I have another question (if you don't mind) - what exactly does "submit in writing" mean? I accepted verbally with Sue - can I just email her? I feel silly but I don't want to mess this up.

I received acceptance off the wait list at UBC today! Anyone waiting on Western - the line will be moving soon!

Excited to meet you DeafAudi! I have another question (if you don't mind) - what exactly does "submit in writing" mean? I accepted verbally with Sue - can I just email her? I feel silly but I don't want to mess this up.

AHHHH, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I was on the wait list there last year so I know how exciting this is! I'm excited to meet you, too!

I asked Sue the same question and she said to just include a note in the mail with my deposit :). She's incredibly nice, don't be afraid to ask her questions.

That's fantastic!!! Congrats! My spot for Western should be freed up soon too!