Canadian 2014 SLP

You can e-mail the student affairs assistant (Mabel Lau) for SLP at U of T and she will tell you in advance. Or you can wait for it by post...the wait-list has 30 people (so not too bad)!

That's great, thank you SLP2014WIS

I'm considering this too. Do you know the class size of Western? I know UofT is 50!

MTLgal, looks like I'll be dropping my wait list at McGill!!! Not sure how helpful it will be, but I'm certain of choosing schools in Ontario. It doesn't look like they have a large waitlist, best of luck you get in!

The class size at Western is around 36 I think. I know for sure it's smaller than UofT! I've been comparing the schools all morning but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere because both schools have pros and cons!

My application was rejected for Western, but I was wondering whether they tell you if you have been waitlisted... the email didn't specify and the student center just said that my app wasn't accepted. I'm still waiting for UofT and Dal, but I'm a bit discouraged already. How will you know if you

If you've been wait-listed for Toronto, how will you find out? (email, letter)

If you have been waitlisted at Western, your student centre will have the blue square symbol and say "waitlist accepted". If you open up the letter attachment it will also tell you that you are on the waitlist.

Best of luck!!

I emailed mabel at uoft a little while ago but haven't gotten a response yet. Does anyone know if it is still possible that they are still sending out acceptances or is everyone certain that they have already been sent? 

Thanks a ton! :) 

I emailed mabel at uoft a little while ago but haven't gotten a response yet. Does anyone know if it is still possible that they are still sending out acceptances or is everyone certain that they have already been sent? 

Thanks a ton! :)

She responded to me within 10 minutes, but I sent her a message as soon as I saw other grad cafe-ers posting about acceptances to U of T. I think all the acceptances have been sent out, but I've e-mailed Mabel before and she's always been pretty prompt, so maybe she is getting inundated with e-mails/responsibilities right now and she just can't get to it? Also, I don't know if the department would allow her to respond about rejections via e-mail (this is not to say you were rejected at all...I'm just not sure about their policy on this). Either way I think she will respond with something as soon as she is able to. 

Congrats to everyone who received an acceptance or waitlist response from Western University today! I remember checking this forum everyday last year while I was waiting for the reply. I'm currently in the program at Western University and like most of you, had to make a decision between schools this time last year! If you have any questions about our program, housing in London or Western University don't hesitate to email me: ksimon6@uwo.ca 

-Kathy 

Congrats to the people that recently got accepted. That is so exciting!  Just wondering if any one knows if U of A is sending waitlisted people an email or actual mail? 

I saw someone who posted on the results search page saying that U of A was sending out letters in the mail for wait listed people.. But they said they started sending them last week. It also said that rejected people would receive a letter by April 15th. So I'm guessing if I don't receive something in the mail by today or tomorrow that I have no chance...  :mellow:

Hey everyone, been stalking this forum all year but never posted -- congrats to everyone that got accepted! I applied for the first time to UofT and Western and sadly think I have been rejected at both.  I am feeling rather discouraged, as I felt I had a strong application (but clearly not.)  

For those that re-applied and were successful this year, do you have any tips on how you made yourself more competitive? I have a really strong interest in SLP and am really hoping to study and work in this field one day. 

The class size at Western is around 36 I think. I know for sure it's smaller than UofT! I've been comparing the schools all morning but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere because both schools have pros and cons!

Is it actually? For some reason I thought it was also around 50.

Is it actually? For some reason I thought it was also around 50.

No the class size at Western has always been smaller than U of T. 36 - 37 max. ORPAS has the stats available in one of the admissions pdf documents. :)

Hey everyone, been stalking this forum all year but never posted -- congrats to everyone that got accepted! I applied for the first time to UofT and Western and sadly think I have been rejected at both.  I am feeling rather discouraged, as I felt I had a strong application (but clearly not.)  

For those that re-applied and were successful this year, do you have any tips on how you made yourself more competitive? I have a really strong interest in SLP and am really hoping to study and work in this field one day. 

Hey, just wanting to send you some encouraging remarks.

I applied to McGill, U of T, and Western also this year and have been rejected from them all. (haven't actually heard from U of T, but I emailed Mabel and got no response so I'm doubting I got wait listed). I feel the same way, and have been crying all morning. I have really great grades, keeping my marks above 90 since I realized this is what I want to do. However, when I started University I wasn't as motivated and those marks are showing through. 

All I know is that I will try again, and I'm sure you will too. I emailed the speech pathologist I volunteer for this morning and told her the news (that I would be volunteering still this next year). She was so kind and told me that I must keep trying and that not getting in will make me appreciate it so much more when I do. She also did not get in her first time applying.

So for all of us who are not screaming in joy, and weighing our options, chin up! I believe in hard work, dedication, and you all.

Congrats to all those who have been accepted, but for those who haven't, I'm in the same boat. This was my first year applying, but it's still very discouraging. I'm just waiting to go home for a good cry.

For those who have been accepted, I was wondering what other experience you may have. I am working in two different research labs (cognition/natural behaviour and an infant development/ language lab), and I have been volunteering with a SLP since October. My past jobs have not been with children per say, but I have worked for various attractions where I would interact with children and families often. I've always been interested in some kind of mission trip to help those in other countries with English. But, I was just wondering what you may suggest to help my application to stand above the rest next year.

I'm considering this too. Do you know the class size of Western? I know UofT is 50!

MTLgal, looks like I'll be dropping my wait list at McGill!!! Not sure how helpful it will be, but I'm certain of choosing schools in Ontario. It doesn't look like they have a large waitlist, best of luck you get in!

Congrats on 2 acceptances, speechykeen! I'm so happy for you, and also a bit sad you'll be dropping McGill seeing as it was your dream school. But getting in somewhere closer to home definitely has its advantages! I'm still hopeful for McGill, although it might take more phone calls to get answers  :D

Has anyone heard from University of Ottawa?

I actually just got an e-mail 15 mins ago, I just got accepted!!! 

I applied to McGill, U of T, and Western also this year and have been rejected from them all. (haven't actually heard from U of T, but I emailed Mabel and got no response so I'm doubting I got wait listed). I feel the same way, and have been crying all morning. I have really great grades, keeping my marks above 90 since I realized this is what I want to do. However, when I started University I wasn't as motivated and those marks are showing through. 

All I know is that I will try again, and I'm sure you will too. I emailed the speech pathologist I volunteer for this morning and told her the news (that I would be volunteering still this next year). She was so kind and told me that I must keep trying and that not getting in will make me appreciate it so much more when I do. She also did not get in her first time applying.

So for all of us who are not screaming in joy, and weighing our options, chin up! I believe in hard work, dedication, and you all.

Thanks Kats,  as I am in the same boat (applied to McGill, Western & UBC...have not heard from UBC but I'm guessing since I haven't heard from now and others have been accepted/waitlisted, I'm just waiting for the rejection letter in the mail). It's a difficult process and this was my 2nd round of applying, and I haven't even gotten on a waitlist. It's gut wrenching, really.  If anyone can share their stats/what the did/etc that would be so appreciative, as I'm not sure which way to go now. I have direct work experience, great LOR, upgraded my GPA this past year through Athabasca, and still nothing. All morning I have been googling Plan B ideas but nothing is half as appealing, but I'm not sure if I can go through this process again!

I see a lot of people posting about wanting people to share stats...I didn't get in everywhere that I applied (so I'm not exactly an expert :P ), but I was successful the second time around with at least one school!  I'm hesitant to share stats on a public forum (I'm old school) BUT if anyone wants to PM me privately please feel free to do so. 

Thanks Kats, Its reassuring to know that many other great applicants were turned down as well.  I had a good cry this morning but am still not feeling great.

That being said, its another year to build on our applications right? I definitely will be trying to get involved with more volunteer opportunities this coming year.  That being said, has anyone heard anything about the speech and language sciences certificate program at Brock University? It is a one year course and you are awarded a graduate certificate at the end. Although it is too late to apply for this year, do you think this would be a good stepping stone?

Thanks Kats, Its reassuring to know that many other great applicants were turned down as well.  I had a good cry this morning but am still not feeling great.

That being said, its another year to build on our applications right? I definitely will be trying to get involved with more volunteer opportunities this coming year.  That being said, has anyone heard anything about the speech and language sciences certificate program at Brock University? It is a one year course and you are awarded a graduate certificate at the end. Although it is too late to apply for this year, do you think this would be a good stepping stone?

I did my undergrad at Brock in Speech and Language Sciences.  The certificate course will be a stepping stone for American schools, but for Canadian schools you really don't need those courses other than maybe Phonetics.  I don't see how that will help unless you want to increase your GPA or something.

Congrats to all those who have been accepted, but for those who haven't, I'm in the same boat. This was my first year applying, but it's still very discouraging. I'm just waiting to go home for a good cry.

For those who have been accepted, I was wondering what other experience you may have. I am working in two different research labs (cognition/natural behaviour and an infant development/ language lab), and I have been volunteering with a SLP since October. My past jobs have not been with children per say, but I have worked for various attractions where I would interact with children and families often. I've always been interested in some kind of mission trip to help those in other countries with English. But, I was just wondering what you may suggest to help my application to stand above the rest next year.

Hi letsgo

It sounds like you have some great experience already! I'm not sure what your other stats are regarding GPA and such, but I definitely think that doing a mission trip would be a good idea, for a variety of reasons. I was accepted to UofT this year and I have some international experience at a high school in Tanzania so maybe that helped? I may also suggest that you gain some experience working with a population other than children this year, perhaps in a geriatric setting? I think this would make your application very well rounded and it would show a lot of diversity in your experience. This is something that was suggested to me by the faculty members at the info session last year. 

Hope this helps and best of luck! 

Hi letsgo

It sounds like you have some great experience already! I'm not sure what your other stats are regarding GPA and such, but I definitely think that doing a mission trip would be a good idea, for a variety of reasons. I was accepted to UofT this year and I have some international experience at a high school in Tanzania so maybe that helped? I may also suggest that you gain some experience working with a population other than children this year, perhaps in a geriatric setting? I think this would make your application very well rounded and it would show a lot of diversity in your experience. This is something that was suggested to me by the faculty members at the info session last year. 

Hope this helps and best of luck! 

Thanks for the response atz1106, I really appreciate it. My subGPA is 3.65, (I am currently enrolled in two other courses - one of which is the prerequisite for Anatomy and Physiology; so I'm not sure if this could have prevented me from being accepted or waitlisted this year). But that is a great suggestion, I will definitely look into working in a geriatric setting.

How did you go about gaining your international experience? Is there a particular organization that you would recommend?

Anybody heading to Dalhousie this fall? I have happily decided on Dal and am getting so incredibly excited! Private message if you're also heading there so we can connect and get pumped! :D 

Congrats to everyone who also succeeded in this insanely (ridiculously unbelievably) competitive application process, and even bigger congrats to those who were not successful this round but who are determined to try again. Your future clients will appreciate your tenacity.