Canadian 2014 SLP

thank you!!! Goodness, I'm really rooting for us! Hope they don't string us out until August, just the thought of that makes me shudder :ph34r:  :( Is McGill your first choice?  :)

I hope so too! That must've been so hard and stressful to finally settle to the idea of moving, actually moving and then dropping everything to come back at the last minute! McGill is definitely my first choice. Being a Quebec resident, the lowest cost of tuition is a big factor for me. And I also did my undergrad there, so it definitely feels like home for me. Although I'm open to expericiencing student life in a new city, I really am a Montreal girl at heart. 

This morning I got an email acceptance from Dalhousie! My first acceptance and this is my second round applying. I'm so incredibly happy. Still waiting to hear from Alberta, Western, and Toronto but I am just thankful to have gotten in somewhere!

Congrats to everyone else who has gotten acceptances this week!!!

That's great news CaraL, congrats!!

This morning I got an email acceptance from Dalhousie! My first acceptance and this is my second round applying. I'm so incredibly happy. Still waiting to hear from Alberta, Western, and Toronto but I am just thankful to have gotten in somewhere!

Congrats CaraL! Maybe we'll be classmates! :)

I hope so too! That must've been so hard and stressful to finally settle to the idea of moving, actually moving and then dropping everything to come back at the last minute! McGill is definitely my first choice. Being a Quebec resident, the lowest cost of tuition is a big factor for me. And I also did my undergrad there, so it definitely feels like home for me. Although I'm open to expericiencing student life in a new city, I really am a Montreal girl at heart. 

That's great news CaraL, congrats!!

I can imagine =) Pulling for both of us!!! I've only visited Montreal (or QC really) when I was really young and I don't remember much from it except for being overwhelmed with the big city. I can't wait to go and tour the campus. I planned a visit last September without thinking of applying but now that this came up hopefully they'll let us know before May! Would be nice to go knowing I may be living there in September!! :wub: :wub: B)

Congratulations! It must be such a huge relief especially as a second time applicant!!! =) what do you think you did the second time around to boost your application?

From last year's thread, it seems like they email acceptances and waitlists/rejections come by mail.

Does that mean that on Apr. 1st, if we don't get anything by email then it's a sure rejection, just expect a formal one in the mail?? :(

Yeah from past posts, it looks like the automated acceptance emails are sent around midnight...If we don't receive one, we could be waitlisted too! Let's think positive!! :D

Actually, this isn't true! The emails from Western are automated... I got mine just after midnight. 

But from U of T, it wasn't automated. The department secretary, Mabel, sent them out manually in the morning. 

Oh okay, thanks for sharing! I guess I assumed that U of T was also automated because people last year got emails at like 5AM, but now that I think about it, it was probably just 5AM PST!

Yup, I got mine around 8:30am :) 

It's a hard wait, I know! 

Congrats CaraL! Maybe we'll be classmates! :)

That would be awesome! I will definitely have a tough choice ahead of me if I get in anywhere else - I'd love to return to my home province, but would prefer a 2 year program. But we'll see how it plays out on April 1st! How about you? Do you think you'll accept Dal's offer?

And speechykeen - my first applications two years ago were straight out of undergrad and I hadn't discovered the field of speech path until the end of my 3rd year, so I was really not well prepared! I'll inbox you my stats :)

Okay trying to save myself a night of sleeplessness waiting, western's emails are automatic. Anyone know about uottawa? It looks like the process there is completely different from last years! This wait is really starting to kill me, but I do feel like i have an advantage since I'm on mountain time I will hopefully hear back at 10ish march 31st and have plenty of time for wine (for celebratory or consolatory reasons) and still be able to show up at work the next morning!

I've been following this forum for a while and just wanted to say good luck to everyone for April 1st! I know the wait is driving me crazy too, but fingers crossed that we hear good news :) 

Okay trying to save myself a night of sleeplessness waiting, western's emails are automatic. Anyone know about uottawa? It looks like the process there is completely different from last years! This wait is really starting to kill me, but I do feel like i have an advantage since I'm on mountain time I will hopefully hear back at 10ish march 31st and have plenty of time for wine (for celebratory or consolatory reasons) and still be able to show up at work the next morning!

They sent a followup email to people who went to their interviews and it says that they will send out their replies through email according to the deadlines listed on ORPAS. I'm assuming they'll follow the April 1 deadline but I'm not sure. I've already bought some wine as well! 

Aweee I say drink some ASAP and relax . I wish we could change the words they use from "accepted and rejects " to something leas horrifying....

Like .... Innies and outies ... Or something less bellybottonic

hahahahah maybe something like roll up the rim… you win!/please try again. Soo Canadian  :P

Edited by MtlGal

Aweee I say drink some ASAP and relax . I wish we could change the words they use from "accepted and rejects " to something leas horrifying....

Like .... Innies and outies ... Or something less bellybottonic

"accepted" and "almost-accepted-hopefully-next-year" ? hahaha.

That would be awesome! I will definitely have a tough choice ahead of me if I get in anywhere else - I'd love to return to my home province, but would prefer a 2 year program. But we'll see how it plays out on April 1st! How about you? Do you think you'll accept Dal's offer?

I'm basically in the same position as you, I'd love to be home for a few years but I don't know yet if I could pass up a two year program.. Leaning towards Dal though, mostly cause I could save a lot of money living at home

They sent a followup email to people who went to their interviews and it says that they will send out their replies through email according to the deadlines listed on ORPAS. I'm assuming they'll follow the April 1 deadline but I'm not sure. I've already bought some wine as well!

I was reading this post thinking that I missed that email and turns out it was sitting in my freaking SPAM folder!!!! Arghhhh. Thank you for that!

With the Ontario school admission offers coming out on April 1st (a couple of days away), is it advisable to submit right away to U of T by email the results of a pre-req course that I just completed (got an A+) or do you think that the decisions have been made? 

Actually, this isn't true! The emails from Western are automated... I got mine just after midnight. 

But from U of T, it wasn't automated. The department secretary, Mabel, sent them out manually in the morning. 

I LOVE Mabel. :3

With the Ontario school admission offers coming out on April 1st (a couple of days away), is it advisable to submit right away to U of T by email the results of a pre-req course that I just completed (got an A+) or do you think that the decisions have been made? 

That's a really tough call, but I'd think their decisions have already been made at this point. ONLY TWO SLEEPS UNTIL WE ALL KNOW. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

Edited by kk.

I had to set up an account with Western (get a Western email etc) so my assumption is that our admission decision emails with go there??? and not to the emails we provided to ORPAS???? I really don't want to be jumping between emails at midnight tomorrow hahaha

good luck everyone !

Hi Everyone! 

I'm waiting to hear back from the Ontario schools as well. I also applied to Alberta (I got in  :)) and Dalhousie (still waiting).

Good luck to those waiting to hear back!

Hi Everyone! 

I'm waiting to hear back from the Ontario schools as well. I also applied to Alberta (I got in  :)) and Dalhousie (still waiting).

Good luck to those waiting to hear back!

Congrats on Alberta!! You and I are the same but opposite - I also applied to the ontario schools, Alberta, and Dal, but got into Dal and am still waiting on Alberta. What's your first choice? :)

Edited to add: Everyone else - what's your first choice program and why? (just for fun!)

Edited by CaraL

I'm not entirely sure...I guess I would prefer Ontario as it is closer to home but I've been hearing great things about Alberta. I guess I'll see with Tuesday's results.

It's another monday... but hopefully the last week of checking our email every 5 minutes! Good Luck to everyone waiting to hear from Ontario schools (and the others too of course)

Congrats on Alberta!! You and I are the same but opposite - I also applied to the ontario schools, Alberta, and Dal, but got into Dal and am still waiting on Alberta. What's your first choice? :)

Edited to add: Everyone else - what's your first choice program and why? (just for fun!)

My first choices are the Ontario schools (U of T then Western). Aside from those two schools I only applied to McGill. U of T is my top choice because it is the closest to home and I love the city/campus. I have family responsibilities so I really couldn't be too far away. With McGill I only applied out of curiosity and because I think Montreal is beautiful. In reality, even if I had been accepted, that was never going to happen.

I can't wait until this is over for all of us.

I have, literally, made myself sick from the stress of it all. I have finally formally accepted an offer, rejected my remaining offer, and will now have to spend the next week recovering my physical health and sanity. This whole experience has been so overwhelming, I can't even think about celebrating yet.

Regardless of the final outcome, just know that you all kick a** for having the balls to put yourselves through this.