Canadian 2014 SLP

Hi hopefulls!

I've been looking at this forum for awhile just thought I'd join in. I am currently a mcgill student graduating in April and have applied to both SLP and OT (occupational therapy). SLP at McGill and UoT, and OT at McGill, UoT and Queens. McGill was my first choice for SLP since I live in Montreal but unfortunately this morning I recieved a refusal.. I've seen some people have been accepted to McGill already, has anyone been refused or put in waiting list? anyways as you can imagine I am dissapointed but trying to keep positive till I hear from other programs and schools.

congratulations to all that have already been accepted!

my status for mcgill just changed to "in review" as well! I'm prepared for a rejection, I didn't think i had a good chance there anyways But congratulations to everyone else who was accepted! it's so exciting to know you're actually going to be an SLP :)

They must have changed McGill's process this year. One my my best friends applied last year and I was with her when she received a rejection email from them. I know a ton of people who applied there this year and are still waiting to hear back, I wonder if they have checked! Congrats to those who have been accepted  :)

Edited by SALY

Anyone applying to SLP also apply for Communicative Disorder Assistant college programs? Any pros or cons to taking this program? I was thinking if I don't get in this year maybe I should so that 1 year program and then try again...Thoughts?

Anyone applying to SLP also apply for Communicative Disorder Assistant college programs? Any pros or cons to taking this program? I was thinking if I don't get in this year maybe I should so that 1 year program and then try again...Thoughts?

My professor (from the CSD department of a Canadian university) highly advised against the college programs. Said they don't better qualify you for acceptance and the admissions advisors don't look at them as an addition to an application. She said people are better off getting a master's degree in another field or doing research while gaining more clinical experience.

Edited by CaraL

I've heard mixed reviews. I personally know a few SLPs who were CDAs first. But each school has a different reputation. I think every application is so unique that they consider everyone differently. I have heard that UofT likes fresh grads, but at the same time I know two SLPs who are practicing now and they were both rejected the first time around and got in after becoming a CDA and working for a few years. Really a hard question to answer! But yes, CaraL's point is also very valid. They evaluate you differently if you have a masters and you are applying.

My professor (from the CSD department of a Canadian university) highly advised against the college programs. Said they don't better qualify you for acceptance and the admissions advisors don't look at them as an addition to an application. She said people are better off getting a master's degree in another field or doing research while gaining more clinical experience.

I have heard the same thing! I went to a recruiting presentation for SLP programs and they told us that schools (especially in Canada) highly value research experience when considering acceptances (which makes sense - that is what brings money into the school). A friend of mine is in an SLP program right now and she said over half of her classmates are research-oriented and tried to do a thesis-based masters. 

Does anyone know if UBC sent out all the acceptances at once? Feeling a little defeated :(

Also, for those who applied to McGill - my friend just called the office and they said all decisions should be out by tomorrow..

Edited by aykl

Hi all!

I've applied to UWO, Dal, UofT, Alberta and McGill. My THIRD year applying. I got into NYU last year but couldn't go in the end because of the high costs :(

I still haven't heard from anyone and it's starting to make me nervous!! I am checking my statuses like a crazy person every hour.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know I received the Significant Decision Made email from McGill and my status changed to "Decision Made" and I too was refused. Good luck to the other hopefuls!

Edited by LG.

I'm out too...  For future applicants: don't trust them if they contact you and tell you that you have a strong dossier  :huh:

I am very sorry for everyone who have been rejected and I hope you'll find another great school which will see a great SLP in you.  COURAGE !!  

Thanks again for spending this crazy time with me  :)   I made my inscription to UQTR earlier this week.  I'll be a SLP anyway.

Good luck to people who are still waiting for an answer and to those wait listed !

To those waiting for UBC, I am sure they are sending acceptances in waves. We saw someone get accepted on the 16th and another a couple of days ago, and I was accepted yesterday (to Audiology). I wouldn't start panicking until at least mid next week.

@Beee25, I am from Edmonton and a bit familiar with UofA SLP admissions. It seems like UofA is always late in sending out their acceptances, so hang in there! I know someone last year who didn't get in until mid April.

Anybody know if U of A is still sending out acceptances? Has anyone heard about the wait list? I'm starting to feel a bit hopeless..

i believe they are! a few pages back someone contacted them and they were told that u of A is contacting a handful of people at a time and then waiting for their responses, so it'll be anytime over the next few weeks!