Canadian 2014 SLP

Well as I wrote that ..... The wait ended ..... Well one wait ... Now I start another wait .... So anyone reading this that got into ubc that isn't sure ....here are some Vancouver Facts for you to help you decide:

It rains 80% of the year.

The average cost of living exceeds the average income .

Rent close to campus is the highest rent in Canada. A one bedroom is $1300-1800 average.

Our hockey team loses but if you say you don't like hockey you won't have any friends....

The transit system is terrible so if you move far to get to lower rent .... You will have a 60 minute one way commute..

We have been voted the meanest people in Canada ( least friendly)

Vancouver is home of lulu lemon .... If you don't do yoga you might as well be a werewolf . People will run from you screaming.

We don't have very much in the way of entertainment ... We all call ourselves " the no fun city" because we are still being grounded for our little " riot" we had .....

Soooo why would you want to come to Vancouver? Obvious choice : say no to your offer :)

hahaha I'm rooting for you VancitySLP!!

Well as I wrote that ..... The wait ended ..... Well one wait ... Now I start another wait .... So anyone reading this that got into ubc that isn't sure ....here are some Vancouver Facts for you to help you decide:

Rent close to campus is the highest rent in Canada. A one bedroom is $1300-1800 average.

Our hockey team loses but if you say you don't like hockey you won't have any friends....

The transit system is terrible so if you move far to get to lower rent .... You will have a 60 minute one way commute..

Vancouver is home of lulu lemon .... If you don't do yoga you might as well be a werewolf . People will run from you screaming.

We don't have very much in the way of entertainment ... We all call ourselves " the no fun city" because we are still being grounded for our little " riot" we had .....

Soooo why would you want to come to Vancouver? Obvious choice : say no to your offer :)

Vancity CHIN UP! THERE IS HOPE!!!! My fingers are crossed for you! :)

Hi Ineg! I got an email this morning while brushing my teeth. The header was " wait list offer".

Athankyou. I had a dream I got accepted, and a dream I got rejected...I feel like this is cumulative balance between those dreams. So I guess all my dreams have come true.

I had the exact same dream and am in the exact same position. Great future SLPs dream alike  :P

Hey guys! 

I also got a refusal letter from McGill, with these comments, in case they're helpful to anyone:

Commun Sciences & Disorders
Additional
comments,
if
applicable:
The program is extremely competitive. We typically receive
over 360 applications, but can accept only about 27 students
(<10%). The admissions process is very thorough and
involves 6-8 faculty members. Files are initially filtered based
on completion or documented plan for completion of our
listed prerequisites, and submission of all required
components of an application as outlined in detail on our
website. Then the bottom 20% (approximately) of files based
on cumulative GPA are removed from consideration given
the vast number of applications we receive and the
comprehensive review we conduct. Remaining files are
submitted to multiple rounds of independent reviewing,
where faculty evaluate two broad components of each file: 1)
academic achievements and potential and 2) professional
experience and potential. Candidates offered admission will
have exceptional ratings for both of these components. Every
year we are unable to accept many excellent candidates. We
thank you for your application and wish you the best for your
future.

HAHAHAHA, this goes for for any MONTREAL people too. You know what they say about those Quebecers....

No but seriously though, if anyone gets scholarships and/or at 50/50 with McGill and another offer, please know someone here who is on the waitlist and practically dying to go and may not get in to other choices (mostly because ORPAS sucks).

Thank you. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

Yes I was wait listed .... With 11 other people ...

VancitySLP, I received a waitlist offer as well, but they didn't tell me how many people were on it. That's not as bad as Western's 70-people-long list though! There's still hope for us yet. I think for me it boiled down to the adcom not accepting one of my courses as a valid prereq. They're suggesting that I enroll in the course at Athabasca instead.

Has anyone had any experience with Athabasca? And for those who applied last year, is there any hope for the UBC waitlist? Thanks in advance.

Aww, well there's still hope VancitySLP and aykl! Things might move along a bit better once April 1st comes and people get acceptances from the Ontario schools.

I'm still waiting for a Dalhousie reponse... Hoping to hear something sometime next week! They mail out their offers, so I'll be trolling the mailbox all next week!

@aykl, I have taken courses through Athabasca, and it was a positive experience! Not too expensive and the online delivery is good. Good luck :).

And yes, good luck to everyone waitlisted at UBC! There's still hope for you yet! 

I'm still waiting for a Dalhousie reponse... Hoping to hear something sometime next week! They mail out their offers, so I'll be trolling the mailbox all next week!

I am currently in my first year at Dalhousie for SLP. Last year they sent out the first round of acceptances this week last year, so I am sure you will start hearing from Dal soon! Some people heard in April and throughout the summer though :)

Aww, well there's still hope VancitySLP and aykl! Things might move along a bit better once April 1st comes and people get acceptances from the Ontario schools.

I heard by email so keep checking there too!

I am currently in my first year at Dalhousie for SLP. Last year they sent out the first round of acceptances this week last year, so I am sure you will start hearing from Dal soon! Some people heard in April and throughout the summer though :)

Thanks for this info!

Do you happen to know the range of accepted GPA of your class last year? I'm just making plans for the upcoming year, in the case I am reapplying! 

Any pointers on value of practical experience vs research experience, retaking GRE, or if the focus should be GPA boosting?

Thanks for your wisdom!

HAHAHAHA, this goes for for any MONTREAL people too. You know what they say about those Quebecers....

No but seriously though, if anyone gets scholarships and/or at 50/50 with McGill and another offer, please know someone here who is on the waitlist and practically dying to go and may not get in to other choices (mostly because ORPAS sucks).

Thank you. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

heyyyy what are you insinutating?  :P Although in terms of weather, winter can be brutal in Montreal, especially when you're not used to it. AND the SLP building is located on a mountain, just sayin'… (speechykeen and I just reeaaally want to get in haha)

You guys are hilarious lol I'm leaving for Montreal in a few hours, along with many layers of clothing. It was almost 60 degrees where I live today. I just checked the weather in Montreal...it's so NOT 60 degrees.

You guys are hilarious lol I'm leaving for Montreal in a few hours, along with many layers of clothing. It was almost 60 degrees where I live today. I just checked the weather in Montreal...it's so NOT 60 degrees.

I wish! There's actually more snow coming this way, good thing you're bringing layers. And hope you have a safe trip! 

Thanks for this info!

Do you happen to know the range of accepted GPA of your class last year? I'm just making plans for the upcoming year, in the case I am reapplying! 

Any pointers on value of practical experience vs research experience, retaking GRE, or if the focus should be GPA boosting?

Thanks for your wisdom!

I do not know the range of accepted GPA, but I am assuming that it was fairly high.

According to one professor, he said that work experience is something that they really like when looking at applicants. They only added the GRE to the application process so they would make the application pool smaller, but apparently the same number of people still applied. I don't think they pay too much attention to GRE scores. I think that boosting your GPA is a good idea, as well as getting as many volunteer/work hours as possible. And of course great reference letters!

Edited by SLP_AWS

I wish! There's actually more snow coming this way, good thing you're bringing layers. And hope you have a safe trip!

Thanks, MTL! I arrived in Montreal last night. It is cold for sure! French is a struggle but I'm trying to speak it when I can. If I go to McGill I'm going to have to spend the summer here learning the language more...it's stressing me out.

SO....

We know UBC, McGill and U of A have announced their acceptances, right?

Waiting on....

Dal

Western

U of T

Laval

??

So if people are getting into a few schools us waitlisters miiiiiigggght have a chance... 

IN the meantime, I am starting a band.. called the waitlisters.... so you are welcome to join. 

U of A is apparently releasing their acceptances in small groups up until April 1st to avoid getting flooded with responses, so another wave should hear back this week! I feel like West Coasters would be more likely to apply to Alberta than East Coasters so that could free up some UBC spots. maybe? 

SO....

We know UBC, McGill and U of A have announced their acceptances, right?

Waiting on....

Dal

Western

U of T

Laval

??

So if people are getting into a few schools us waitlisters miiiiiigggght have a chance... 

IN the meantime, I am starting a band.. called the waitlisters.... so you are welcome to join. 

I can play the keyboard if you want. Or the baritone. That's what I did in highschool.

Hey everyone,

For those of you wondering about Dalhousie, I received an email on March 12th saying that the department has given me a positive recommendation for admission. So they definitely have at least started to let people know about their admission decisions. The deadline to accept/decline is April 7th so I'm sure you will be hearing soon! Good luck!!

Hey everyone,

For those of you wondering about Dalhousie, I received an email on March 12th saying that the department has given me a positive recommendation for admission. So they definitely have at least started to let people know about their admission decisions. The deadline to accept/decline is April 7th so I'm sure you will be hearing soon! Good luck!!

just wondering if you are planning on accepting Dal's offer or waiting on other schools?

I'm still waiting to hear from alberta and toronto but i'm 98% sure i'm going to accept dal's offer and i'd love to get to know other people in the program!

Thanks, MTL! I arrived in Montreal last night. It is cold for sure! French is a struggle but I'm trying to speak it when I can. If I go to McGill I'm going to have to spend the summer here learning the language more...it's stressing me out.

Montreal and the downtown area is pretty bilingual/anglophone, so you can definitely go about with minimal to no French if that helps at all. But if you want to practice it and learn it, then it's a great place to do so! 

Hey everyone,

Thanks *SLP! And congrats on the good news from Dal!!

just wondering if you are planning on accepting Dal's offer or waiting on other schools?

I'm still waiting to hear from alberta and toronto but i'm 98% sure i'm going to accept dal's offer and i'd love to get to know other people in the program!

I am also still waiting to hear from Alberta, Western and U of T before I make my decision. The U of A is close to home but if I do not get in there, I am pretty positive I'm going to accept Dal's offer!

Edited by *SLP

This may be an unanswerable question, but for the people who have been accepted to U of A has there been a trend in regards to what day people find out? The whole sending out acceptances in waves thing is so cruel!