Canadian 2014 SLP

Anybody know if U of A is still sending out acceptances? Has anyone heard about the wait list? I'm starting to feel a bit hopeless..

I just got an email back from Noriko Hessman at U of A this morning, and she said that the Admission Committee would be making decisions up until the end of March. Other than that she was unable to answer my questions about at one point should one start to feel worried, or when the first wave of applicants would all be notified by. I do know last year that my classmate didn't get her acceptance email until after April 1st for U of A, so they definitely do take a long time to make these decisions unfortunately. 

Hello lovely people. 

Just wanted to add my voice to those rejected from McGill.

I'm reassured by the quality of other applicants also rejected, knowing that with this calibre of people rejection does not reflect poorly on my intelligence, nor potential as an SLP.

Good luck to all on April 1st.

DeafAudi,

Thanks for the reassurance and congrats on your acceptance! I've been contemplating calling Sue for the past couple of days but holding onto this last bit of hope is all thats keeping me going right now!

This whole process is so difficult and worry inducing! It's not fair. Every time I open my email and it takes a few seconds to load my stomach does flip flops and i swear my heart skips a beat and then when there is nothing there, I feel awful!  I would just like to be one of the 'chosen'!!!

Hi everyone,

I wish I could've started this thread earlier but it's all right i'll join in on the wait for April 1/2014. I've applied to McGill, Western and University of Toronto! Congratulations to the acceptances and for those rejections there's always April Fool's Day around the corner.

Hi everyone!

I just discovered this forum tonight and have spent the better part of this evening reading everything from last year's and this year's thread. There's been so many posts with useful information and great insight into everyone's application process that I thought I'd chime in as well.

First off, congrats to all those who got accepted! Last year, I applied to McGill only and was refused. Looking back now, I never would've had a chance, what with my average GPA, limited research and volunteer experience in unrelated areas.

This cycle around, I boosted my application and applied to McGill, UofT, UWO, uOttawa and Dalhousie, and was invited to the multiple mini interviews in Ottawa this past Tuesday! It was definitely a nerve-wracking experience, but I've learned a lot from it. That afternoon when I got home, I found out I got waitlisted for McGill! So it looks like we're in the same boat, speechykeen! Still waiting on answers from the rest of Ontario and Dal.

Best of luck to all those still waiting for answers!!

Edited by MtlGal

Hi everyone!

I just discovered this forum tonight and have spent the better part of this evening reading everything from last year's and this year's thread. There's been so many posts with useful information and great insight into everyone's application process that I thought I'd chime in as well.

First off, congrats to all those who got accepted! Last year, I applied to McGill only and was refused. Looking back now, I never would've had a chance, what with my average GPA, limited research and volunteer experience in unrelated areas.

This cycle around, I boosted my application and applied to McGill, UofT, UWO, uOttawa and Dalhousie, and was invited to the multiple mini interviews in Ottawa this past Tuesday! It was definitely a nerve-wracking experience, but I've learned a lot from it. That afternoon when I got home, I found out I got waitlisted for McGill! So it looks like we're in the same boat, speechykeen! Still waiting on answers from the rest of Ontario and Dal.

Best of luck to all those still waiting for answers!!

Congrats to all with accepatances already!!!! and yes MtlGal it looks like we're in the same boat! Have you contacted them at all? I got nothing except there's no rankings and they rereview applications after a certain date. I wonder if there's a lot on the waitlist. How does uOttawa work with applications? Do they just interview in French? I was going to apply this year but backed out last minute because I can only converse in French.. not professionally. Maybe next year when I improve my vocabulary. But who knows ...I feel like life is a hug limbo right now!

Congrats to all with accepatances already!!!! and yes MtlGal it looks like we're in the same boat! Have you contacted them at all? I got nothing except there's no rankings and they rereview applications after a certain date. I wonder if there's a lot on the waitlist. How does uOttawa work with applications? Do they just interview in French? I was going to apply this year but backed out last minute because I can only converse in French.. not professionally. Maybe next year when I improve my vocabulary. But who knows ...I feel like life is a hug limbo right now!

A friend of mine was on the McGill waitlist last year - from what she was told, there were ~ 7 on the waitlist and she didn't get off of it. They didn't tell her her place because they re-evaluate. It was her first choice and she waited right until the end of August and they still had empty seats in the class from people backing out at the last minute. McGill almost always does this! 

I haven't contacted them; I'm also one of those who's paranoid about calling for more information and then having my name blacklisted forever hahah. But I did see your previous post about a second revision, and I guess it's comforting to at least have an idea of when we'll hear back from them. Although I've started to constantly keep my phone on me just.in.case! I'm also wondering if there are other people on the waitlist, or if anyone has heard/been through that in the past. It seems like there's quite a lot of information about waitlists from UBC and UofT/Western, but not so much for McGill… fingers crossed!!!

The application for Ottawa actually underwent some rather big changes for this cycle. They didn't require any reference letters nor a letter of intent, but rather just the usual transcripts and CV. Although I couldn't find a definite answer as to whether the CV should be in English or French, I just submitted it in French. But in previous years, they only had phone interviews instead of the MMIs. The MMIs themselves consisted of 8 stations, alternating between English and French. You have 2 minutes to read the question/situation and to prepare your response, then 6 minutes to walk in the room and give your answer to the evaluator. 

You should definitely give it a shot if you can speak French, even remotely! I've heard stories that people who had very poor abilities in French still got accepted at Ottawa. They basically want to see if you're functional in both languages. I'm definitely not the most fluent in French when it comes to academia… I've spent a lot of time looking up translations beforehand  ;). When I was there, the other people in my group were actually interviewing for physiotherapy, were all francophones, and were nervous about the English stations. But YES, everything right now is so uncertain!!

A friend of mine was on the McGill waitlist last year - from what she was told, there were ~ 7 on the waitlist and she didn't get off of it. They didn't tell her her place because they re-evaluate. It was her first choice and she waited right until the end of August and they still had empty seats in the class from people backing out at the last minute. McGill almost always does this! 

CaraL,

That sounds awful! Any idea how she found out about the number of people on the waitlist? And waiting until August?!? I hope she didn't refuse another offer to wait for McGill! 

CaraL,

That sounds awful! Any idea how she found out about the number of people on the waitlist? And waiting until August?!? I hope she didn't refuse another offer to wait for McGill! 

I messaged you :) She didn't! 

i believe they are! a few pages back someone contacted them and they were told that u of A is contacting a handful of people at a time and then waiting for their responses, so it'll be anytime over the next few weeks! 

This was me! I spoke with them on Monday (it wasn't Noriko, it was the woman from the admissions committee who sends acceptances) and she informed me that they would still be slowly contacting people in waves until April 1 to avoid a huge influx of responses on the same day.  On the email they sent me it said we have until April 15th to decide and then people from the waitlist would be contacted. There is still time, I wouldn't worry yet! 

Edited by SALY

I posted somewhere a while ago that I was convinced every uni had a Committee of Cruelty whose job was to come up with ways to torture its applicants. It's the only explanation for some of the things they do, i.e. UofA and that staggered notification craziness. Doing it over a couple of days maybe I could understand...but staggering til April 1st?!?!

Just want to say for everyone who hasn't heard yet, hang in there! I totally empathize. I didn't hear that I was accepted until mid April last year. U of A is actually doing a lot better this year! Also, to those of you who got in, can't wait to meet you this fall!

I haven't contacted them; I'm also one of those who's paranoid about calling for more information and then having my name blacklisted forever hahah. But I did see your previous post about a second revision, and I guess it's comforting to at least have an idea of when we'll hear back from them. Although I've started to constantly keep my phone on me just.in.case! I'm also wondering if there are other people on the waitlist, or if anyone has heard/been through that in the past. It seems like there's quite a lot of information about waitlists from UBC and UofT/Western, but not so much for McGill… fingers crossed!!!

The application for Ottawa actually underwent some rather big changes for this cycle. They didn't require any reference letters nor a letter of intent, but rather just the usual transcripts and CV. Although I couldn't find a definite answer as to whether the CV should be in English or French, I just submitted it in French. But in previous years, they only had phone interviews instead of the MMIs. The MMIs themselves consisted of 8 stations, alternating between English and French. You have 2 minutes to read the question/situation and to prepare your response, then 6 minutes to walk in the room and give your answer to the evaluator. 

You should definitely give it a shot if you can speak French, even remotely! I've heard stories that people who had very poor abilities in French still got accepted at Ottawa. They basically want to see if you're functional in both languages. I'm definitely not the most fluent in French when it comes to academia… I've spent a lot of time looking up translations beforehand  ;). When I was there, the other people in my group were actually interviewing for physiotherapy, were all francophones, and were nervous about the English stations. But YES, everything right now is so uncertain!!

I submitted my CV entirely in English and got an interview, so they don't seem to mind! My French isn't amazing either... I guess everyone is at a disadvantage in one of the languages unless they're fully bilingual! Were half your stations English and the other half French?

I submitted my CV entirely in English and got an interview, so they don't seem to mind! My French isn't amazing either... I guess everyone is at a disadvantage in one of the languages unless they're fully bilingual! Were half your stations English and the other half French?

That's good to know, kckc! Yes they were. When were you there? And I hope it went well for you! Mine was on Tuesday at 9am. Right when my group finished the fire alarm actually went off… sooo glad it didn't happen during the interview!

Let me know what she says :)

Just called Sue at UBC and asked if all acceptances had been sent out. She said she was still waiting on decisions from the admissions committee and that we should be receiving something via email/mail soon. I was confused because I know in previous years UBC has called people and when I asked, Sue said that apparently this year she did call someone who pretended to be someone they were not. Crazy eh!

I guess the hope is still alive!

Just called Sue at UBC and asked if all acceptances had been sent out. She said she was still waiting on decisions from the admissions committee and that we should be receiving something via email/mail soon. I was confused because I know in previous years UBC has called people and when I asked, Sue said that apparently this year she did call someone who pretended to be someone they were not. Crazy eh!

I guess the hope is still alive!

OMG! I just had to respond to this, haha. When I got my acceptance call from UBC, I let it ring because I'm hearing impaired and I don't trust myself on the phone AT ALL when I'm excited. I had my coworker help me call back about five minutes later and Sue was reluctant to talk to her because she said someone had pretended to be someone they were not this year. We ended up putting her on speaker phone and my coworker acted as a sort of translator while I verbally accepted :). I can't believe someone would do that--it seems so weird and pointless?

And yes, the hope is still alive! Good luck to everyone still waiting! :)

Hahaha aw your story made me smile! I think there's something really special about receiving an acceptance phone call rather than an email so it's too bad they have to change it now, but given these weird imposter people I guess it's understandable. I think you probably were the last person she contacted - I forgot to say this but she mentioned that they will no longer be accepting confirmation of enrollment over phone.

Hahaha aw your story made me smile! I think there's something really special about receiving an acceptance phone call rather than an email so it's too bad they have to change it now, but given these weird imposter people I guess it's understandable. I think you probably were the last person she contacted - I forgot to say this but she mentioned that they will no longer be accepting confirmation of enrollment over phone.

That is good to know, thank you! In her follow up email, she said that she was pleased I was "accepting of [their] offer", but my letter said that we have to put it in writing, anyway. I agree that it's unfair that some ruin things for others, especially when some people may not check their email as often. I have to wonder what exactly happened? Perhaps she called someone and they claimed to be the accepted person and declined the offer. That would be unfortunate.