Canadian 2014 SLP

I think McGill is definitely a little bit off this year. Despite getting the "significant decision made" email on March 12,  I got the recommendation for admission email this morning at 11am too, beaschwa (p.s. Congrats, maybe we will see each other there in the Fall!). EVERYONE DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!!!!

Also, congrats kay0928! I'm a little bit freaked at how similar our stats are. This is also my first time applying to SLP as well and I also only applied to UofT, Western, and McGill. Our cGPA and sGPA are really really really close. I think the biggest difference is volunteer experience!

Who knows, maybe we will be classmates at one of the three in September!  :) Best of luck on April 1st!

lol, I applied to those bc I could only get that much prerequisites done before my application :)

Best of luck to you too!

P.S. What's your first choice?

lol, I applied to those bc I could only get that much prerequisites done before my application :)

Best of luck to you too!

P.S. What's your first choice?

I'm actually finishing my 4 year honours degree a year early, so I had a lot on my plate with my thesis and everything -  so I didn't end up writing the GRE. I did do Audi 402 online with UBC, but I really didn't like the way that course was structured and I didn't feel like I could handle Audi 403 this year as well, so I thought I'd take a gamble. So glad that McGill wants me hahaha! I'm not really sure what my first choice would be...I vowed to go anywhere that takes me so I guess I'll really only think about it after April 1st! Lots of things will help me decide i.e. funding, whether or not I can commute (and save money), and international reputation of the school in job markets outside of Canada :) How about you?

How will you make your choice ? Are you waiting for U of T ?

Oh, and just to clarify...I did not apply to U of T for SLP. I applied to there for Psyc.

Been lurking here for more than a month now, but wanted to share what I know.

The post on the results page for UBC was probably someone who called the office on Friday to ask about the status of their application.

You are right, VanCity, they have not started sending out official notices yet. They are coming this week via email. Don't freak out yet.

Oh, thank goodness. Thank you so much for sharing! Sometimes I think grad cafe is just evil and I wish it didn't exist, lol. But then I wouldn't have anyone to freak out with!

I'm going to have a heart attack if I don't get an email soon. My status still says 'In Review'  :wacko:

Me too !  Nothing happened today  :huh:

I'm going to have a heart attack vicariously through you two. Every time I see you guys post, I'm hoping it's to share the good news. Come on, McGill!!! :blink:

Oh, and just to clarify...I did not apply to U of T for SLP. I applied to there for Psyc.

So you'll have to make a choice between Psyc, SLP and CSD PhD ?  Harder than make a choice between universities !    ;)

So you'll have to make a choice between Psyc, SLP and CSD PhD ?  Harder than make a choice between universities !    ;)

PsycD, what exactly did you apply to at each school?!

I so hope I get into UBC because it doesn't look like the American schools want me...I never anticipated being at this point with 0 acceptances and radio silence from 7/10 schools :(

I applied to schools based on research fit, not program, so I ended up applying to 3 different programs: Psyc, Comm, and CSD.

You're right...I do have a tough choice ahead. I've narrowed it down to two schools, but they're two different programs, in two different countries, each leading me down two very different paths.

Craziness...

I applied to schools based on research fit, not program, so I ended up applying to 3 different programs: Psyc, Comm, and CSD.

You're right...I do have a tough choice ahead. I've narrowed it down to two schools, but they're two different programs, in two different countries, each leading me down two very different paths.

Craziness...

I also wanted to go to McGill because the research, I can do SLP + one year in research...  I had a few chats with 2 professors last month about that and they seemed to be interested in me...  they contact me on their own !  That is why I am so disappointed to have nothing yet !  They told me I have a very 'strong dossier'...  I don't understand...   :unsure:

Anyway, CSD seems to be a great place to do research, when you'll come back, PsycD, let me know how you found the school and the people there !

I also wanted to go to McGill because the research, I can do SLP + one year in research...  I had a few chats with 2 professors last month about that and they seemed to be interested in me...  they contact me on their own !  That is why I am so disappointed to have nothing yet !  They told me I have a very 'strong dossier'...  I don't understand...   :unsure:

Anyway, CSD seems to be a great place to do research, when you'll come back, PsycD, let me know how you found the school and the people there !

Maybe it's taking longer because you applied to the combined program. I think everyone except the two of us applied to do the two year SLP program. 

Everyone I've talked to has been wonderful so far, so I'm really looking forward to the visit. I will definitely let know how it goes!

I have been reading this page for a few days now and it was nerve racking reading the comments everyday because everyone on here sounds so accomplished and amazing!

This morning I woke up and found out I got into U of A! They ask you confirm to getting the email so I did and she said they are still contacting a handful of people daily and that they will be letting people know for the next two weeks. As well, we have until April 15th to reply and the wait list will be contacted after that! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Wow that's so awesome, congrats!!! Are you waiting on other schools, or will you be choosing U of A? :D

Thanks! Well I also applied to Dalhousie and Minot State University (postbaccalaureate- program). I heard good news from Minot on the 7th but it is only a year of post-bacc and then you have to reapply for the masters.

I think due to the fact that U of A is only 2 years I will accept!   :)

Yay SALY!!! I'm super excited for you! 

I wish I could have applied to U of A, but I have been avoiding writing the GRE.. haha I might end up writing it this summer if nothing works out.

I was so disappointed when nothing happened with McGill again today.. I just want to know. 

Hi there,

I was just wondering about the funding for McGill. What type of funding did you apply for?

If anyone else has any information regarding funding(scholarships, bursaries...etc) for mcgill or UofT, that would be helpful.

Thanks and good luck to all!

No, U of T will be a reject for sure, which is fine with me. I'm still waiting for my funding package from McGill, and both McGill and University of Arizona have arranged for me to visit over the next two weeks. My final decision will be based on funding and fit.

Yay SALY!!! I'm super excited for you! 

I wish I could have applied to U of A, but I have been avoiding writing the GRE.. haha I might end up writing it this summer if nothing works out.

I was so disappointed when nothing happened with McGill again today.. I just want to know. 

Thank you!! Ugh the GRE, not a fun experience at all. If you do end up having to write it, download POWERPREP software. It is free and set up exactly like the exam (the prep software I used sucked and I didn't find POWERPREP until the night before haha). But there is still a good chance you will hear back and won't have to write the GRE :) !  They let people in in waves because they don't want a sudden influx of emails and calls. Hopefully you find out soon!!

Hi there,

I was just wondering about the funding for McGill. What type of funding did you apply for?

If anyone else has any information regarding funding(scholarships, bursaries...etc) for mcgill or UofT, that would be helpful.

Thanks and good luck to all!

Hey,

Being an international student (wow...feels sooooo weird calling myself that), I was not elibile to apply for the typical Canadian funding sources. I'm a doctoral student, so my funding package is being put together by my PI and the CSD Department.

I do remember seeing on McGill's CSD Department website a list of funding opportunities for Canadian MS, PhD, and Post-Doc students.  The deadlines have passed for many of them, but you may want to check it out. 

Edited by PsycD

Thank you!! Ugh the GRE, not a fun experience at all. If you do end up having to write it, download POWERPREP software. It is free and set up exactly like the exam (the prep software I used sucked and I didn't find POWERPREP until the night before haha). But there is still a good chance you will hear back and won't have to write the GRE :) !  They let people in in waves because they don't want a sudden influx of emails and calls. Hopefully you find out soon!!

Wow, thanks for that information! I didn't even know where to start with the GRE, and now I do. I guess that makes sense that they do acceptances in waves. 

Yeah hopefully all of us waiting on McGill hear back soon! I'm glad/sad that you can commiserate nicolafloo! haha :)

As I keep saying to myself, 'Maybe tomorrow'

I have been reading this page for a few days now and it was nerve racking reading the comments everyday because everyone on here sounds so accomplished and amazing!

This morning I woke up and found out I got into U of A! They ask you confirm to getting the email so I did and she said they are still contacting a handful of people daily and that they will be letting people know for the next two weeks. As well, we have until April 15th to reply and the wait list will be contacted after that! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Congratulations Saly! I was also just accepted to U of A and am so relieved! I have been waiting to hear from McGill and my status just says submitted. I don't think I have ever checked my email so much haha