Canadian 2014 SLP

Hey guys, so I've been reading this forum for a while now, and finally decided to contribute. 

I have a sGPA of 3.72 (ORPAS), and my cumulative GPA is 3.6. I had 32 hours with an SLP and hundreds of hours of related volunteer work at the time of application. But I think my best selling point is that I had a speech impediment as a child. 

I applied to McGill and haven't heard yet, which is definitely implying rejection at this point. My best friend got her acceptance from there last Tuesday. I also applied to U of T and Western. 

My GPA is so low due to a biochemistry course I took in second year, when that was still my major (big mistake). Any ways, there are some amazing people applying to this program, and I would completely understand if I don't get accepted this year. 

I hope everyone hears good news soon. :)

Hey Kats!

McGill's notifications have been super random, so please don't count yourself out yet. Almost everyone has a bad grade or 2 (or 5 if you're me), so try not to beat yourself up about that. 

We're 3 for 3 so far with McGill admissions around here, and we're going to keep the streak going! :)

Hi everyone!

I just started to frequent this forum a few days ago when I was desperate for some news about acceptances. This is my first time applying to SLP programs, and I chose UofT, Western, and McGill (mainly because of the prerequisites).

Yesterday, I finally got an email from McGill titled "significant decision made". I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw "congratulations! You have been accepted". Even now I still have this irrational fear that it might just vanish somehow...

Anyways, if any of you are interested, I have a cGPA of 3.87 and sGPA of 3.91. I've started volunteering in health/rehabilitation related areas since 2006, but I've  got only15 hours with a registered SLP.

It's really nice to see that all these nice people would likely be my future classmates and colleagues :D

Thanks PsycD! It's true, its hard to escape undergrad without a bad grade. These applications are just making me GPA crazy. 

Also, congrats to kay0928!!! Your stats are amazing!  I love hearing about people succeeding on this forum. :) 

Hi everyone!

I just started to frequent this forum a few days ago when I was desperate for some news about acceptances. This is my first time applying to SLP programs, and I chose UofT, Western, and McGill (mainly because of the prerequisites).

Yesterday, I finally got an email from McGill titled "significant decision made". I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw "congratulations! You have been accepted". Even now I still have this irrational fear that it might just vanish somehow...

Anyways, if any of you are interested, I have a cGPA of 3.87 and sGPA of 3.91. I've started volunteering in health/rehabilitation related areas since 2006, but I've  got only15 hours with a registered SLP.

It's really nice to see that all these nice people would likely be my future classmates and colleagues :D

Congrats kay0928 !  I am totally jaleous !!   B)

You well deserved your place, I am very happy for you.

Vancity, my cGPA is 3,98 out of 4

Tomorrow the stress will come back !!

And kats, it is not over until the fat lady sings!

YAY!!! I just got an acceptance email from McGill this morning!! This doesn't even feel real! I didn't even know they sent out stuff on Sundays (its just like a Hogwarts letter showing up on a Sunday!)

Congrats to everyone else who's been accepted and to all those waiting, hang in there your time is coming!!

YAY!!! I just got an acceptance email from McGill this morning!! This doesn't even feel real! I didn't even know they sent out stuff on Sundays (its just like a Hogwarts letter showing up on a Sunday!)

Congrats to everyone else who's been accepted and to all those waiting, hang in there your time is coming!!

Congrats beaschwa !!  They sent it TODAY ?????  Wow !  I'll keep looking !

Wait so UWO didn't use the GPA calculated by ORPAS? Because ORPAS converted my GPA which made it significantly lower.

I'm not sure because my GPA after being converted by ORPAS was the same!

Congrats beaschwa !!  They sent it TODAY ?????  Wow !  I'll keep looking !

Thank you!! I was also super shocked to receive the email on a Sunday, but there it was at 9AM/11AM (their time). It also straight out said "We are pleased to...be recommending you for admission" instead of the "significant decision made" email that other people have received. 

Good luck Esselpy!

Wait so UWO didn't use the GPA calculated by ORPAS? Because ORPAS converted my GPA which made it significantly lower.

I also found this, my University uses percent grade, and my calculated percent for the past 2 years to be 86%, which on ORPAS should be a 3.8. But when ORPAS sent me my sGPA it said 3.72. I wonder if they just weight it differently.

Yeah, they have like nine different grading scales for the Canadian schools. I just find it a little unfair, but it could be just my school that has a more difficult grading scale...because I got like 90% in a course but it was an A- on my transcript, and then an A- for ORPAS is a 3.7. But if my school used a percent grade like yours, then on ORPAS it would've been a 3.9! Why can't all schools just use the same grading scale?!?

I found this slightly frustrating too, xjmi. The university where I completed my undergrad uses a 4.3 scale, however, an A- is 90%, A 94%, and A+ 97%. I did some courses at another university after graduating where an A- was above 80%, an A above 85%, and an A+ above 90%. I couldn't believe how lax the grading was. Yet both schools were assigned to the same scale (7) in the ORPAS conversion, and because my alma mater uses a 4.3 scale, my GPA was also lower than I was used to seeing.

I understand that it's just how the system works and no system is perfect, but when I consider that any alpha grade from A- to A+ in my undergraduate program is technically equivalent to the percentage grade of an A+ at UofT and many other schools, it makes me regret not looking into these things before starting my undergrad!  ^_^

Edited by paidean

I think McGill is definitely a little bit off this year. Despite getting the "significant decision made" email on March 12,  I got the recommendation for admission email this morning at 11am too, beaschwa (p.s. Congrats, maybe we will see each other there in the Fall!). EVERYONE DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!!!!

Also, congrats kay0928! I'm a little bit freaked at how similar our stats are. This is also my first time applying to SLP as well and I also only applied to UofT, Western, and McGill. Our cGPA and sGPA are really really really close. I think the biggest difference is volunteer experience!

Who knows, maybe we will be classmates at one of the three in September!  :) Best of luck on April 1st!

Esselpy, hang tight! I think tomorrow they will start updating the portals and sending out mass emails. I just have a feeling!

Esselpy, hang tight! I think tomorrow they will start updating the portals and sending out mass emails. I just have a feeling!

Thanks kk for your support !  I hope this admission thing will be done tomorrow so we can go on and get our life back !!  

Is someone still have some red wine for me ?!   :rolleyes:

Thanks kk for your support !  I hope this admission thing will be done tomorrow so we can go on and get our life back !!  

Is someone still have some red wine for me ?!   :rolleyes:

Hang in there, E!

I haven't had any wine yet...I'm holding off on the celebration until I officially accept an offer, and until the rest of my McGill applicant buddies here have heard back! :)

Hang in there, E!

I haven't had any wine yet...I'm holding off on the celebration until I officially accept an offer, and until the rest of my McGill applicant buddies here have heard back! :)

How will you make your choice ?  Are you waiting for U of T ?

How will you make your choice ?  Are you waiting for U of T ?

No, U of T will be a reject for sure, which is fine with me. I'm still waiting for my funding package from McGill, and both McGill and University of Arizona have arranged for me to visit over the next two weeks. My final decision will be based on funding and fit.

I just saw on the results someone got a call from UBC on FRIDAY.... but the lady told me they wouldn't start contacting until next week. My heart sank. 

I totally understand how you feel, Vancity !  Breath, I am sure they will contact you tomorrow !

How come they don't send all acceptance all the same day ?  We could stop worrying !

I just saw on the results someone got a call from UBC on FRIDAY.... but the lady told me they wouldn't start contacting until next week. My heart sank. 

What?! I must've missed that one. 

Don't worry Vancity...that's just one call. They're not done notifying people...your call is coming! :)

Thank you VancitySLP, kats, Esselpy and others!!!

Congrats to beaschwa and kk.! To those still waiting, hang on in there, good news is still to come.

To VancitySLP: It's kind of a late reply, but my GPAs are from ORPAS, and are out of 4.0.

For those of you who applied to several schools, if you got more than one acceptances, how would you choose? Like what aspects would you consider?

Been lurking here for more than a month now, but wanted to share what I know.

The post on the results page for UBC was probably someone who called the office on Friday to ask about the status of their application.

You are right, VanCity, they have not started sending out official notices yet. They are coming this week via email. Don't freak out yet.

Edited by CleverUsername