Canadian 2014 SLP

Yeah ORPAS has a strange way of calculating sGPA. Hopefully UofT will look at my study abroad marks since they have that evaluation centre. I think I'll just email the schools and see what they say! :)

Can you email the school?  I sent a message through Secure Applicant Messaging (SAM).  But do you know who you can contact directly at U of T?  Do you have the info?

I found an email in the FAQ section for UofT. It said that if you're unable to find the info you're looking for on the website then you can contact them using that address.

Oh okay.  Cool thanks

For those Canadians applying to SLP in the states just had my telephone interview with Syracuse University.

They asked about my clinical and research experiences. They seem to be a very friendly and very supportive school. Very open to answering questions and keeping a dialogue going with students. A stark contrast to the oftentimes stand offish impression the Canadian schools leave... don't email us, we'll email you kind of message. Would be happy to attend Syracuse, but am very concerned about financing such an endeavour!

I just noticed that somebody posted on the results page that they were accepted to UBC by phone yesterday. Congrats to whoever that was if you're reading this, and to anybody else who may have received a call yesterday!

It's a bit of a relief to know that results are coming after months of waiting, whichever way things turn out.  :unsure:

I'm sitting here freaking out because I have heard of people getting emails for housing at UofT. I saw a few posts earlier about it, too. Can someone please tell me I'm not the only one who hasn't gotten an email from them yet? :(

Also, I didn't apply to UBC but someone I know got in recently, so for people who are wondering, UBC's started notifying successful applicants. 

I'm sitting here freaking out because I have heard of people getting emails for housing at UofT. I saw a few posts earlier about it, too. Can someone please tell me I'm not the only one who hasn't gotten an email from them yet? :(

Also, I didn't apply to UBC but someone I know got in recently, so for people who are wondering, UBC's started notifying successful applicants. 

KK.

I applied to housing at U of T before they even sent the information. On their housing website they encourage people to apply as early as possible even if they haven't received an offer which leads me to believe the two (offers and information on housing) are not linked. It is hard for me to remember exactly because I completed so many applications, but I know for some schools they ask if you want to be sent housing information, perhaps you chose 'no' in response to this question for U of T?

kk.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The housing e-mail from UofT was a general message from the School of Graduate Studies inviting out-of-town applicants to apply for housing early if they're considering living on-campus, and providing a link for off-campus housing as well. In the email it stated:

NOTE: This email message is not an offer of admission to housing or the graduate program you’ve applied to.  We are sending this to inform you about on-campus residence options.

I hope that helps!

Thanks guys, def makes me feel better. I'm not really worried about the email being linked to acceptances. I'm more worried that I got left off a list I should be on or something. I CAN'T HELP BEING PARANOID ABOUT EVERYTHING! 

Thanks again! :)

Ugh I'm so nervous now! This is earlllyyy for UBC :(.

haha, I just had a vivid dream that I was accepted to UBC in early scholarship-recieving fashion and woke up to my dog gently licking my face. Oh well, it was worth it while it lasted.  :P

Thanks for the info! haha. and oh trust me, I have those nightmares too!

Do you know if UBC accepts more people than they expect to actually attend? I guess it's not likely because there's so few programs in Canada, unlike in the US. 

THE PROBLEM WITH CANADIAN UNIVERSITIES IS THAT WE FIND OUT SO LATE.

WAITING IS THE WORST. MCGILL SHOULD BE MAKING DECISIONS SOON. BUT SOON IS NEVER SOON ENOUGH. I JUST WANT TO KNOW AT THIS POINT, REGARDLESS OF THE RESULT.

:( I keep seeing people post on the results page with "Oh this is my first acceptance!" when all I'm wishing for is just one. 

Sorry kk. The waiting is the worst, I know.

McGill seems pretty consistent from year to year with sending out their decisions in mid-March, after the winter study break. So, you'll hear something next week or the week after.

I'm not sure if that's comforting, though. Hell, I'm not sure if anything is comforting during this process other than knowing there are tons of us on here going through it with you. 

One of my undergrad professors told me that the application process would be the worst part of my entire graduate career. I didn't believe it at first, but I sure do believe it now.

Thanks PsycD. Congrats on your acceptances! I'm looking at your stats, you've heard from McGill? Regardless, congrats! :)

Thanks PsycD. Congrats on your acceptances! I'm looking at your stats, you've heard from McGill? Regardless, congrats! :)

Thanks, kk!  Yes, I received my departmental recommendation of acceptance on Monday and my official offer of admission from the university on Tuesday; but, I am a PhD student and I think those decisions are finalized a few weeks earlier than the M.Sc. decisions.  It takes some time to put our funding packages together and we probably have fewer applicants...I'm guessing those two factors may have something to do with it.  

I hope to see a post from you soon telling us all of your acceptance :) good luck!

Thanks, kk!  Yes, I received my departmental recommendation of acceptance on Monday and my official offer of admission from the university on Tuesday; but, I am a PhD student and I think those decisions are finalized a few weeks earlier than the M.Sc. decisions.  It takes some time to put our funding packages together and we probably have fewer applicants...I'm guessing those two factors may have something to do with it.  

I hope to see a post from you soon telling us all of your acceptance :) good luck!

Congrats on your acceptance to the PhD programme at McGill, PsycD! That's a huge achievement! I was wondering if that might be the case, as I had only seen PhD programme entries on the results page.

It's reading week for students at McGill this week, so I suspect the admissions committee will be finalising decisions for the M.Sc.A and sending out the first round of acceptances by mid-month. Only a few days away, kk -- Try to enjoy the time that you have now! Worrying about acceptances now can't change your application or the outcome of the committee's decision, so just relax and enjoy each day as much as you can! In the grand scheme, knowing today vs. two weeks from now won't be of a whole lot of importance. Decisions will be made when they are made, and worrying about it does nothing but ruin each moment from now until then!  :)

Congrats on your acceptance to the PhD programme at McGill, PsycD! That's a huge achievement! I was wondering if that might be the case, as I had only seen PhD programme entries on the results page.

Thanks, Paidean! It's been over a week now and I'm still in shock.

Hi PsycD !

Congrats for your admissions !!

Did you  also applied in SLP at McGill ?

Hi Esselpy! 

Thanks!  Yes, I applied to McGill, too.  I hope you, kk, and everyone else waiting hear something soon.  Congrats on your UQTR acceptance!   

It's reading week for students at McGill this week, so I suspect the admissions committee will be finalising decisions for the M.Sc.A and sending out the first round of acceptances by mid-month. Only a few days away, kk -- Try to enjoy the time that you have now! Worrying about acceptances now can't change your application or the outcome of the committee's decision, so just relax and enjoy each day as much as you can! In the grand scheme, knowing today vs. two weeks from now won't be of a whole lot of importance. Decisions will be made when they are made, and worrying about it does nothing but ruin each moment from now until then!  :)

Hey paidean! Solid advice and I keep telling myself the same - but it's especially hard when basically your entire program has applied to SLP...every other conversation somehow goes back to acceptances, rejections, and how tormenting this wait is. But I've managed to stay calm and focus on other things..like finishing my thesis and graduating!  ;)

Edited by kk.

I'm getting antsy for April 1st!  That's when we find out the results for UofT and Western! : /

Trust me, I know. You're definitely not alone trejsi!!! 

Thanks PsycD !

Being accepted somewhere brings a true relief!  Last week my classmates and I were going crazy, waiting for interview calls and answers from some universities.

Courage kk, paidean, PsycD and everyone else who applied at McGill.  This is the last week to wait !!

trejsi: I know exactly how you feel...  It is sooooooooo long to wait until April 1st !  We've been waiting for this moment for years !

Hi mlee, 

We don't have rankings in SLP programs in Canada.  Canada only offers SLP program in 9 schools 3 of those schools the program is only offered in French.  All the schools that offers the program are  top notch schools. U of T, UWO, University of Alberta, McGill University, University of British Columbia, U of Ottawa (French only), Dalhousie University, University of Montreal (French only) & Laval University (French only).  You can check out the CASLPA http://www.caslpa.ca/ and also a survey of all the schools that offers the program is there.  Here is the direct link: http://www.caslpa.ca/system/files/resources/university_survey_%202010_speech_0.pdf

We don't have rankings, but it's important to keep in mind how each school is perceived by those in the field. For instance, U of T's course-work is more adult intensive, whereas UWO is more paediatrics focused. Even though the quality of education is comparable, employers do take these differences coursework into account, especially when hiring new grads.