Canadian 2014 SLP

Does anyone know if you have to mail your resume/CV to ORPAS? It wasn't part of the online application (just the volunteer experience part)

SLP at U of T anyway, doesn't ask for a resume.  Some of the other applicants and I have noted that we have included the relevant work experience in the volunteer experience.  Unfortunately I think the application system was designed for younger people coming straight out of undergrad who would not have yet accumulated work experience.

Good luck

Hi CDAtoSLP,

I applied to a 1 year undergraduate degree in Social Work through Lakehead University (but their Orillia campus).  It is a program specifically for people who already have an undergraduate degree in something else, and when you have completed the program, you are just as eligible as any other Social Work undergrad program to apply for Master's programs.

Thanks for the info, I will definitely look into that, I did my CDA there.  I noticed that U of T allowed you into a Masters without a BSW, but if you had a BSW then it was a shorter program.  I really don't want to take any more courses before completing a Masters, I have 2 BA's and CDA now, I think that's enough. But I do like the idea of Orillia (close to home) But the MSW is only offered in Sudbury, I had looked into that

Good luck

Erin

Thanks for the info, I will definitely look into that, I did my CDA there.  I noticed that U of T allowed you into a Masters without a BSW, but if you had a BSW then it was a shorter program.  I really don't want to take any more courses before completing a Masters, I have 2 BA's and CDA now, I think that's enough. But I do like the idea of Orillia (close to home) But the MSW is only offered in Sudbury, I had looked into that

Good luck

Erin

University of Windsor has  MSW program for working professionals.  Alternate weekends. They offer it in Windsor, Peel Region, and Oshawa.  It's 32 months if you have an honors degree in another field and 16 months if you have a BSW.  It's a rolling admission. 

Edited by Asemooooooo

University of Windsor has  MSW program for working professionals.  Alternate weekends. They offer it in Windsor, Peel Region, and Oshawa.  It's 32 months if you have an honors degree in another field and 16 months if you have a BSW.  It's a rolling admission. 

Yes, I think that is the one I was looking at briefly, I will look more into it.  Thanks Asemoooo.  Although I'm really hoping I don't need to and I get into SLP, I've been working so hard for that now.  :)

Yes, I think that is the one I was looking at briefly, I will look more into it.  Thanks Asemoooo.  Although I'm really hoping I don't need to and I get into SLP, I've been working so hard for that now.   :)

I know what you mean.  My heart is towards SLP.  I have been thinking about applying, but i really don't want to be a social worker. ah well.

Hi asemoooo (dont know how many o's there is haha), 

Im just so confused because my sGPA is a 3.9, but my 2 of my  prerequisite courses are in the C range, while the rest are in As and Bs. I don't know how they will determine if I should be accepted or not, but I'm still applying just in case! I don't know if UWO is as strict as UoT though.

Hi Ineg, 

Not sure if you know how the U of T and UWO systems work but I can share the little I know... 

U of T has a weighted system. They divide all applications between members of the admissions committee, and that professor rates the various parts of your application. These scores are combined with a score derived from you GPA, and those who have the top overall scores get offers. The next hundred or so get wait-listed. It's very mathematical, and some might argue it's more fair. It also means that a bad score in one area might hold back an otherwise competitive application. 

UWO's process is more "holistic." The committee members look at the application overall, and try to discern who will make the best clinician. Here's  where things like life experience, and even the numbers of times you've applied (which shows commitment to/passion for the profession) can make a difference if you're on the cusp. They divide their applications into piles of yes, no, and maybe, then they decide as a group who from their "yes piles" will get offers. Then they go through the maybe piles, and divide them into what's left of the first, second, and third section of the wait-list. 

A 3.9 GPA is very competitive on a 4.0 scale, and certainly competitive enough on a 4.3 scale. If you don't get in, it won't be because of your grades, so if that does happen, I recommend pestering all the schools until they give you a clear reason why you didn't get in. Changing one thing made all the difference for me on my second time applying.

There's plenty of people who didn't get in on their first try. The number one reason I keep hearing is "weak references" -- they won't tell you which reference, though. Make sure to be blunt with your references. Find a tactful way to ask your references if they are able to give you a STRONG reference. I know it seems bold, but it will save you both time if you're open, and your academic references in particular will appreciate it, as they have loads of references to write.

Hope this was helpful. Best of luck!

Hello! I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this question in. I've been reading these threads and haven't been able to find this information. But what is the ranking of the SLP schools in Canada? It is so easy to find the rankings of the SLP grad schools in the United states with one google search, but for some reason I can't find the rankings of the SLP grad programs in Canada. If anyone knows this information, please share with me! thank you!

Hello! I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this question in. I've been reading these threads and haven't been able to find this information. But what is the ranking of the SLP schools in Canada? It is so easy to find the rankings of the SLP grad schools in the United states with one google search, but for some reason I can't find the rankings of the SLP grad programs in Canada. If anyone knows this information, please share with me! thank you!

Hi mlee, 

We don't have rankings in SLP programs in Canada.  Canada only offers SLP program in 9 schools 3 of those schools the program is only offered in French.  All the schools that offers the program are  top notch schools. U of T, UWO, University of Alberta, McGill University, University of British Columbia, U of Ottawa (French only), Dalhousie University, University of Montreal (French only) & Laval University (French only).  You can check out the CASLPA http://www.caslpa.ca/ and also a survey of all the schools that offers the program is there.  Here is the direct link: http://www.caslpa.ca/system/files/resources/university_survey_%202010_speech_0.pdf

Hi all, 

I'm applying to SLP for the first time this year. I've submitted all my forms to ORPAS and have almost completed my other applications. In all I'm applying to UofT, UWO, McGill, and Dal! My sGPA is 3.7, and my cGPA is about the same (hard for me to calculate as I transferred schools half way through my undergrad), I'm completing a BSc in psych and will have my honours thesis complete by April. I have over 100 hours working with an SLP, where I ran communication and social skills groups with ASD children. My GRE scores are not fabulous, I found the test exhausting haha

Does anyone know how exactly each school reviews /ranks their applicants? ie. any inside scoop? haha

Good luck!!!

Ok, did I miss a huge part of the application?  To apply to U of T and Western, you don't have ot complete GRE's right?  I have seen a couple people talk about them and I have never done them.  Please tell me I didn't miss something this huge.

Thanks

Ok, did I miss a huge part of the application?  To apply to U of T and Western, you don't have ot complete GRE's right?  I have seen a couple people talk about them and I have never done them.  Please tell me I didn't miss something this huge.

Thanks

Yes, CDAtoSLP,

No GRE is required for U of T or Western.  

• 3 weeks later...

I got an email from Dal yesterday asking if I was upgrading or taking a new degree at my most recent university. Getting an email from them made me so nervous! This wait is going to be the worst!

I've applied to Dal for SLP and AUD and McGill. I can't wait to hear something...

I got an email from Dal yesterday asking if I was upgrading or taking a new degree at my most recent university. Getting an email from them made me so nervous! This wait is going to be the worst!

I've applied to Dal for SLP and AUD and McGill. I can't wait to hear something...

At least you know they're looking at your application! :)  But yes, if I get an email from the schools, my heartrate does speed up a bit too.

Wow, my heart just started racing too! I also applied to Dal for SLP. I think it is a good sign that they e-mailed you :) It means they want to know more about you right? I am relieved that they are starting to look at applications. I applied last year and it took forever to hear back. Hopefully, we'll know by the end of April!

Has everyone submitted everything? I know some school have different deadlines.

Yes, everything's submitted!  I wrote my personal statement exam for the BSW course through Lakehead on Monday.  Now it's just wait and see.  The next thing I'm waiting for is letters inviting me to the interviews for OT and PT for McMaster University.

Yes, everything's submitted!  I wrote my personal statement exam for the BSW course through Lakehead on Monday.  Now it's just wait and see.  The next thing I'm waiting for is letters inviting me to the interviews for OT and PT for McMaster University.

Awesome! Just dropped off my OT application today and I wrote my first Anatomy mid-term (pre-req) this week. Brutal! My BSW stuff is due Feb 15th, but I will probably have it all finished by next week. Wow, a personal statement exam? You must be glad to be fished with that one. There are a lot of questions to answer in the Dal BSW personal statement and so it is tricky to answer them in an essay-format that flows well! I am so eager for April and May to come. I am hoping and praying that we both get into our top choices! SLP pleaseeeeeeeeeeee.

I see a lot of people on here have applied to Dal? Anyone else apply to the Ontario schools or McGill????

Now that everything is submitted I'm so anxious !!!!

I applied to U of T

Hi Everyone. So, from what I've read form the threads last year, Dalhousie sent out acceptances in batches and the first wave went out on March 18th. (even thought the website said not to expect them until April / May!) Ontario schools were about a week or 2 later (also in batches I believe) and then Quebec, BC and Alberta followed.

So don't get discouraged if you don't hear back at the same time as others! I hope most programs start in mid-March again this year!! I just put in an offer on a  house this week and it looks like everything is good to go, pending the inspection on Monday! If it works out we will close on March 13th - so man it's going to be a whirlwind with so many exciting and terrifying things going on. Wow, okay, I just realized while writing this that it also means that I will have to be going to my old apartment daily to check the mail to sure I get my letter! Yikes >_<

Awesome! Just dropped off my OT application today and I wrote my first Anatomy mid-term (pre-req) this week. Brutal! My BSW stuff is due Feb 15th, but I will probably have it all finished by next week. Wow, a personal statement exam? You must be glad to be fished with that one. There are a lot of questions to answer in the Dal BSW personal statement and so it is tricky to answer them in an essay-format that flows well! I am so eager for April and May to come. I am hoping and praying that we both get into our top choices! SLP pleaseeeeeeeeeeee.

Me too!  Would be pretty cool if we both got into Dal for SLP! The personal statement exam was interesting.  I kind of enjoyed writing it, even if it isn't my top choice.  And yes, I'm eager to find out too!

I see a lot of people on here have applied to Dal? Anyone else apply to the Ontario schools or McGill????

I applied to UofT and Western in addition to Dal.  I left McGill out of the mix this time around.

McGill here! I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I needed to have one long shot.