Canadian 2014 SLP

Hi mlee, 

We don't have rankings in SLP programs in Canada.  Canada only offers SLP program in 9 schools 3 of those schools the program is only offered in French.  All the schools that offers the program are  top notch schools. U of T, UWO, University of Alberta, McGill University, University of British Columbia, U of Ottawa (French only), Dalhousie University, University of Montreal (French only) & Laval University (French only).  You can check out the CASLPA http://www.caslpa.ca/ and also a survey of all the schools that offers the program is there.  Here is the direct link: http://www.caslpa.ca/system/files/resources/university_survey_%202010_speech_0.pdf

ok thank you!! I actually have another question. So I am from the U.S. and I really would like to attend McGill University. I was looking at their prerequisites and was wondering where people took their linguistics and statistics classes? Online courses would be great for me if anyone knows of any that McGill would accept. I have already taken 1 statistics class but the McGill site specifically says that you have to take a year of statistics, or two courses that build on one another (stats I and II) which the course that I took isn't. For some reason, I can't seem to find statistics courses that are a year long or are "stats I" and "stats II".  I am willing to take either online classes or physically go to class (I live in Orange County, California). Where did you guys take your prereqs?

ok thank you!! I actually have another question. So I am from the U.S. and I really would like to attend McGill University. I was looking at their prerequisites and was wondering where people took their linguistics and statistics classes? Online courses would be great for me if anyone knows of any that McGill would accept. I have already taken 1 statistics class but the McGill site specifically says that you have to take a year of statistics, or two courses that build on one another (stats I and II) which the course that I took isn't. For some reason, I can't seem to find statistics courses that are a year long or are "stats I" and "stats II".  I am willing to take either online classes or physically go to class (I live in Orange County, California). Where did you guys take your prereqs?

I took my stats at my undergrad institution here in Canada.  It is a full year course.  It is called Statistics for the behavioral sciences.  It is in the psychology department.

Hi, I just wanted to suggest you check out Athabasca University in Alberta. It's an online university and I believe they offer Stats 1 and Stats 2 equivalents. 

You'll find the year-long sequence in a Psychology department. I think most, if not all Psyc programs require a minimum of one year of statistics and research methods. I was a Psyc major and I'm applying to McGill...that was one of the few requirements I did manage to meet.

I'm not sure how McGill feels about online courses, but if you can take the classes in-person I'd highly recommend it. Psychologists are nuts about their statistics courses.

Then I went out and WAS a famous actor for a few years ( I'll be in my dressing room). Then I got sick of not being intellectually stimulated, so I came back to school! 

I'm intrigued! Haha. Seriously though, I think your background is interesting and will surely stand out! Maybe I will see you at UBC this fall :).

VanCitySLP: I think it will make you stand out in a good way! Not many applicants will have your background and I think admissions committees like to see diversity. You also have worked hard to prove that this is what you want to do!

I was waitlisted last year at UBC and I found out at the end of March. I think they send out acceptances in mid March. I'm so nervous to hear back! 

Ps yes I did take the AUDI 402 course and found it hard! 

Edited by DeafAudi

Hello all!

I have been lurking on the last few years worth of threads, and finally this year.... I GET TO PLAY TOO!

Well, not play. This is all very serious business after all.

I have applied ONLY to UBC for SLP...yea.. I know.. I put all my speech eggs in one basket. Silly? or BRAVE?

Firstly, I would like to say that I strongly dislike the term "stats" because I feel like a baseball card... but here we go:

My undergrad is a B.F.A ( that F stands for fine..... yup.... a BFA) in Theatre, and I was young and going to be a famous actor obviously, so my cumulative GPA from my undergrad is 5.31 (UVic is on a 9 point scale, so that is a between a B and a B+ , about 75%) because I didn't work very hard.... because actors don't need A's...

Then I went out and WAS a famous actor for a few years ( I'll be in my dressing room). Then I got sick of not being intellectually stimulated, so I came back to school! 

Since starting my pre-reqs things have been going better grade wise:

If you count ALL the courses I have done ( pre-req to the prereqs included ) over the last 2 years, my GPA is 3.9 (84.7%)

If you take just my top 12 credits at the 300 or above level: I have an 87% average. (Take THAT theatre degree)

I work in two research labs, I have volunteered with an SLP ( I got reference letters from the two lab advisors as well as the SLP) I have taught swimming lessons for 6 years, I have gone out and lived a life with people---not just academics.. but REAL people who don't know what exactly the superior olivary nucleus is.

I am terrified reading some of these posts by people who have 692204210384+ hours logged with SLP's, and have published numerous times.... and didn't get in anywhere. YIKES.

Here is what I am hoping; they see that I worked my buns off once I found a career that doesn't require me to wear a corset.

BUT, just incase I don't get in, and to those of you out there that might feel that impending DOOM of figuring life out if you aren't in grad school----I promise you real life isn't so bad. There is always something to learn outside of a classroom.....We will all be ok. Unless you are from Ontario... because i'm pretty sure you are all going to freeze in your arctic winter.

Lets all hold our heads high and remember all the various schools we applied to are LUCKY to have our applications. 

If anyone needs me I'll be curled up in the fetal position waiting to find out.

THIS is a lovely post !!  

I am a newbie, first time applicant in SLP...  

Is there anyone else from Quebec ?

Hey all!

So excited to finally get to post in this thread and anxiously watch for results to come in. I checked this forum religiously last year for one of my classmates and plan on probably doing the same for myself!

Anyways, thought I would post my stats and where I was applying...

GRE: 157VR, 152QR, 4.5AW
Overall GPA: 3.96
Pre-req GPA: 3.89
Educational Background: B.A. in Linguistics
Volunteer Experience: 40ish hours volunteering and observing with an SLP working with an adult population, coaching soccer for 3-6 year olds
Relevant Work Experience: About 30 hours of teaching experience - I led a tutorial for one of the introductory courses at my university and have about 40 hours experience working with individuals with autism in a recreational setting

My greatest weakness is definitely my reference letters. I'm terrified that one of my referees didn't actually upload her letter for one of the schools, but I'm trying not to think about it. I also really wish I could have read my academic letters before I sent them. I also contemplated retaking the GRE to try and bump up my QR score, but just didn't have the time to study and retake them during the semester. 

I applied at U of A, Dal and McGill, but my heart is set on U of A. My chances at McGill are so/so as I don't know if the stats classes I've taken will actually count as they weren't called Stats 1 and 2, but touched on the same course content mentioned in the description. As for Dal, as I said before the status of one of the letters is up in the air. They emailed and said they had received all my documents, so I'm hoping that's a good sign, but who knows! 

Good luck to everyone!!!! I hope we all survive the stress of these next few months!

Edited by beaschwa

Well I hope it makes me stand out in a GOOD way not a crazy way! Have you done the Audi 402 online course? I'm in it now.. it isn't easy!

UBC generally lets people know by mid to end of march right?

I was called on March 15 (and they told me Audiology was going to hear the week after). However, those who got scholarships heard earlier. 

ETA: I was called because I was accepted. If you're waitlisted or rejected, you hear a little later and through other means, I believe. 

Edited by Inny

Hi all! Was wondering, did anyone else applying to U of T get sent info about housing? I got mine a few days ago and was wondering if it was benign or a good sign, haha. 

Yes, i got that on Thursday as well.  I don't think it's a sign, it is just benign lol

Hi all! Was wondering, did anyone else applying to U of T get sent info about housing? I got mine a few days ago and was wondering if it was benign or a good sign, haha. 

Yes, I got that email too... My heart rate sped up when I saw that I received an email from U of T.  But yeah, I think they just send it to everyone who applied.

beaschwa, on 08 Feb 2014 - 7:30 PM, said:

As for Dal, as I said before the status of one of the letters is up in the air. They emailed and said they had received all my documents, so I'm hoping that's a good sign, but who knows!

Yes, that is a good sign!  If they were missing something, they would have sent you an email telling you what was missing (it happened to someone I know a year or two ago).  So, don't fret (at least not about that).

Edited by trejsi

The wait is killing me.

Does anyone know how many people apply to Dal SLP/get accepted?

Not sure.  I was waitlisted last year at Dal and when I called afterwards to discuss how I could improve my application for the next year, they told me that not many people were called off of the waitlist, so it sounds like most people accepted their offers last year.  He said that was pretty uncommon.

Other than that, I have no idea.

The wait is killing me.

Does anyone know how many people apply to Dal SLP/get accepted?

Hi, I got into Dal last year. We were told they had a record number of applicants last year, over 300 people. And there's 35 in our class: 24 speech and 11 audio. Out of those numbers I'm not sure what the proportion of people who applied were audio vs speech though.

FYI future Canadian SLP's.  CASLPA has a new name & Logo

The Canadian Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year! As part of that celebration, the association, which represents over 5,000 speech-language pathologists and audiologists across Canada, has officially changed its name and logo. The new name is Speech-Language and Audiology Canada (S-A-C).

Not bad! Do you know how many they had last year? I was wait listed last year and they didn't tell me the exact number but they said it was a higher qualified pool than usual.

My offer letter for SLP last year said over 150. I had thought that was just for SLP... 

So I just checked the verification report on ORPAS and my study abroad courses weren't included in my sGPA. ORPAS took courses from three years ago instead which significantly lowers my sGPA!! Does anyone know if the actual universities will include study abroad courses when calculating GPA of the last 60 credits?

I didn't know that the university themselves will calculate the GPA again.  The what will be the purpose of ORPAS doing it?   I think Canada is crazy in that they wouldn't consider your courses taken as a study abroad.  U of T has an evaluation center where you can ask them to evaluate your study abroad courses for academic purposes to Canadian standard of education.  They have one for work and one for academic.  

I have the same problem where i went back to school to repeat several courses and take some new courses as well after my degree  and they used only those courses as my sub gpa.  But those course are only 14 half courses so instead of them continuing down using my courses from when i completed my degree they didn't.  I don't understand.