Canadian 2014 SLP

I thought that by not responding to my wait list letter at U of T I would automatically be taken off the wait list, but Mabel emailed me today asking for verification if I still wanted to remain on it or not. I am officially off the wait list now, hope that helps someone else out there! 

I thought that by not responding to my wait list letter at U of T I would automatically be taken off the wait list, but Mabel emailed me today asking for verification if I still wanted to remain on it or not. I am officially off the wait list now, hope that helps someone else out there! 

I was just about to post the same thing, but I actually declined through ORPAS and she still emailed me. Good luck to those on the waitlist! 

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist for Ottawa yet? I was kind of hoping to hear from them this week since the ORPAS deadline has passed. I don't know if I should contact them to get more information about the ranking as they mention on their FAQ webpage that they could add an unfavorable note to your file if you do so. It s a disappointing situation right now, I'd like to move on, but I would also need a definite answer! I can't imagine myself being in that situation until August...

Just got off the wait list for U of T!!!!

I got off the waitlist too!!! SUCH a happy day, third year applying to SLP. Ecstatic!

Congrats guys!!! I'll see you in September! ;)

Edited by kk.

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist for Ottawa yet? I was kind of hoping to hear from them this week since the ORPAS deadline has passed. I don't know if I should contact them to get more information about the ranking as they mention on their FAQ webpage that they could add an unfavorable note to your file if you do so. It s a disappointing situation right now, I'd like to move on, but I would also need a definite answer! I can't imagine myself being in that situation until August...

Still on the wait list myself but for audiology. I'm wondering though how strict they are about that note to your file. I just want to know how long the wait list is active at this point! It makes it really difficult to make plans to improve my application for next year and other life things!

For those that applied to Dalhousie and got accepted can someone tell me what they wrote about for the personal statement?  Describe your most valuable learning experience?  I am not sure what to really write about.  Any ideas?

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be applying for a second time next year - I originally applied in 2013 during my last year of undergrad, but didn't get in. I took 2 years off before re-applying and I have been working full time to save up for school, as well as taking extra courses and taking on several volunteering experiences in order to make my application more competitive. I have my heart set on U of T. I have a lot of related volunteer experience - I have worked in a private clinic with adult patients for over 2 years, I volunteered with the Toronto District School Board for one semester, I have worked in a private program with down syndrome and autistic kids for almost one year now, and I have just started volunteering at two different hospitals - one as a communication facilitator for patients who have had strokes, and another as patient/unit support within neuro rehab wing at Toronto Rehab. My GPA is at around 3.8, and I am sure my references will be great as I know all of them really well. I have no research experience, and I am worried that this will make or break it for me. I have tried to get some experience in research, but unfortunately, with my full time work during the day makes it very difficult to find anything as most positions require a few days a week. I was wondering if anyone else was able to get into any of the slp programs in Ontario without research experience? Thanks!! 

Edited by nins

I got off the waitlist too!!! SUCH a happy day, third year applying to SLP. Ecstatic!

Congratulations both of you!!! So happy to hear the news!!!  :)

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be applying for a second time next year - I originally applied in 2013 during my last year of undergrad, but didn't get in. I took 2 years off before re-applying and I have been working full time to save up for school, as well as taking extra courses and taking on several volunteering experiences in order to make my application more competitive. I have my heart set on U of T. I have a lot of related volunteer experience - I have worked in a private clinic with adult patients for over 2 years, I volunteered with the Toronto District School Board for one semester, I have worked in a private program with down syndrome and autistic kids for almost one year now, and I have just started volunteering at two different hospitals - one as a communication facilitator for patients who have had strokes, and another as patient/unit support within neuro rehab wing at Toronto Rehab. My GPA is at around 3.8, and I am sure my references will be great as I know all of them really well. I have no research experience, and I am worried that this will make or break it for me. I have tried to get some experience in research, but unfortunately, with my full time work during the day makes it very difficult to find anything as most positions require a few days a week. I was wondering if anyone else was able to get into any of the slp programs in Ontario without research experience? Thanks!! 

Honestly, your resume sounds fantastic! I had zero research experience and was accepted to both Western and UBC (didn't apply anywhere else so I can't say for the other programs) and focused on my volunteer work and serving job in my LOI. It's definitely possible to get in without research experience. Good luck!

Edited by aykl

Honestly, your resume sounds fantastic! I had zero research experience and was accepted to both Western and UBC (didn't apply anywhere else so I can't say for the other programs) and focused on my volunteer work and serving job in my LOI. It's definitely possible to get in without research experience. Good luck!

Thanks so much!! Does anyone know about U of T?

I think you have an awesome resume and a really good chance of getting in! I don't think that your lack of research will hinder your chances. I know UofT focuses heavily on GPA and it looks like you have a strong GPA. Good luck. :)

Hi Everyone,

I think you have a pretty competitive application!! I agree with slpdreamer, I'm pretty sure grades are weighted heavily at U of T. My supervisor graduated from U of T and when she applied, she had no research experience, the bare minimum for clinical experiences but had high grades + great references. I do think you should apply to UWO as well however, because from what people have been saying in this thread, they seem to have a more lenient preference towards clinical exp. and yours sounds diverse and fitting for their program. Good luck!!

I think you have a pretty competitive application!! I agree with slpdreamer, I'm pretty sure grades are weighted heavily at U of T. My supervisor graduated from U of T and when she applied, she had no research experience, the bare minimum for clinical experiences but had high grades + great references. I do think you should apply to UWO as well however, because from what people have been saying in this thread, they seem to have a more lenient preference towards clinical exp. and yours sounds diverse and fitting for their program. Good luck!!

I received this information from a friend who is currently in the program at U of T about how U of T ranks their applicants:

50% is based on your grades

10% for each reference letter (2 profs and 1 SLP)

10% for your clinical experience

10% for your statement of intent

They use this to give your application a score and then they rank people that way. 

I received this information from a friend who is currently in the program at U of T about how U of T ranks their applicants:

They use this to give your application a score and then they rank people that way. 

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate the support. 

I was honestly feeling so worried because a few people have told me that research is very important. I have worked so hard this past year and a half and I would hate for it to all go for nothing just because I am unable to find a research position that works with my busy schedule!

Thanks for that! Just curious, what would be the other 20% then?

Thanks :) I will definitely apply to UWO as well! I noticed you will be going to U of T next year - congratulations! Did you have research experience? Would you mind sharing your stats with me? 

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate the support. 

I was honestly feeling so worried because a few people have told me that research is very important. I have worked so hard this past year and a half and I would hate for it to all go for nothing just because I am unable to find a research position that works with my busy schedule!

Thanks for that! Just curious, what would be the other 20% then?

10% for each reference which equals 30%