2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

DU wants to consider me for the MA because they don't directly admit students to PhD. 

Can I ask them to consider me for a MA and then decline later without looking like a jerk? 

Should I ask questions about funding for MA and transferring to a PhD before asking to be considered for the MA or should I ask to be considered and then ask later?

I'm so confused!  :wacko:

DU wants to consider me for the MA because they don't directly admit students to PhD. 

Can I ask them to consider me for a MA and then decline later without looking like a jerk? 

Should I ask questions about funding for MA and transferring to a PhD before asking to be considered for the MA or should I ask to be considered and then ask later?

I'm so confused!  :wacko:

My current institution is the same; and they made a big mistake IMO because they could have kept me if they offered me a PhD.

You need to ask about funding; chances are they fund MAs for 2 years as a TA/RA/Fellowship (we do). Chances are moving to a PhD will be the same as most; you have to reapply but if your advisor wants you its pretty hard to say no to them, especially if you have claim to that TA position already.

I would only do it if you feel like you want to go to a better institution after your masters; declining a PhD offer is risky, and i probably wouldnt do it, but the masters degree might elevate your application enough if your research goes well to apply to the MITs, Columbia's and Stanfords of the world.

So yes, i would consider it, but you have a PhD acceptance. Tell them you are interested in it, but only go if you dont like wherever else you get into (for example CU boulder is a great school which I would not turn down if you were to be admitted).

My current institution is the same; and they made a big mistake IMO because they could have kept me if they offered me a PhD.

You need to ask about funding; chances are they fund MAs for 2 years as a TA/RA/Fellowship (we do). Chances are moving to a PhD will be the same as most; you have to reapply but if your advisor wants you its pretty hard to say no to them, especially if you have claim to that TA position already.

I would only do it if you feel like you want to go to a better institution after your masters; declining a PhD offer is risky, and i probably wouldnt do it, but the masters degree might elevate your application enough if your research goes well to apply to the MITs, Columbia's and Stanfords of the world.

So yes, i would consider it, but you have a PhD acceptance. Tell them you are interested in it, but only go if you dont like wherever else you get into (for example CU boulder is a great school which I would not turn down if you were to be admitted).

Thanks!  I guess I'm just afraid of looking like a jerk, but maybe I'm humanizing these programs way too much.  I really am interested to see what kind of funding they would offer and what professors want to work with me even though I doubt it will even hold a candle to the offer from UNM. 

I sent a reply, and I guess I will see what they offer.

He did say that the comittee met yesterday (On a Sunday???) to discuss all applicants so anyone who applied should be hearing from them soon. 

All this atmospheric / climate talk is great.... but where are my sed/ strat/ paleo people?? I know you are out there somewhere...!

Right here! I am applying to sed strat/petroleum geo programs. I am mostly interested in carbonate research. Has anyone heard back from Kansas yet!?!?! (if anyone has applied to University of Kanas.)

I'm sad that people have insider information and no one's saying anything about Mines or OU. *old man shakes fist at the sky*

It's not insider information, just calling the department and asking them when they intend on notifying the first round of applicants

Atmospheric Sciences?  Can I ask how you know?

I called the academic advisor/assistant dean at UW Oceanography on Thursday, and she said that she hadn't received the initial list of invites to UW's open house, but that the committee's deadline was 2/18.

Right here! I am applying to sed strat/petroleum geo programs. I am mostly interested in carbonate research. Has anyone heard back from Kansas yet!?!?! (if anyone has applied to University of Kanas.)

So you people are out there, yay! 

I'm sad that people have insider information and no one's saying anything about Mines or OU. *old man shakes fist at the sky*

Insider info from Mines - according to the person I talked to, official acceptances won't be coming out until late March/early April, although unofficial notifications may happen sooner

Undergrad Institution: small lib arts
Major(s): Geology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:3.6
Overall GPA: 3.63
Position in Class:  No idea. We didn't talk about GPA openly. 

Type of Student: domestic

GRE Scores (revised):
Q:158 
V:159
W:5.0

Research Experience: Keck geology consortium partcipant. Off-campus semester with Sea Education Association in Woods Hole, performing oceanographic research while sailing SSV Corwith Cramer from Wods Hole>Grenada>St John. USGS/NAGT internship during summer/fall following graduation

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: All within school: geo-based endowed scholarship during senior year, school-wide TA award, geology prize for senior thesis (not always awarded every year)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 1 semester as TA. Paid USGS/NAGT Cooperative Field Training Internship (nomintated to apply based on performance at field camp). Currently working as a logging geologist in the DJ basin

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: My USGS internship was extended for an extra month (I couldn't have been that bad at biogeochemistry!)

Special Bonus Points: I've already done some work at SUNY on a biogeochemistry project as part of my USGS internship

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Nah

Applying to Where:

SUNY Binghamton - geosciences - basin analysis, Re-Os isotope geochemistry (Accepted! funded through TA, with offer to enter under MS/PhD track)
Montana State Univerity - geology - Carbonate Structure/Tectonics (waiting for response)
University of Vermont - geology - Mid-crust tectonics, field mapping, microstructure (waiting for response)

Colorado State University - geosciences - Structure/Tectonics, fault rock geochemistry (waiting for response)

If anyone is still waiting to hear from U .Wash Oceanography, I called again just now and it seems like they're delayed. Last time I called they had said they were going to try and get notices out today, now the same lady I talked to said they're hoping to get them out sometime this week. 

Pretty frustrating considering their open house is the first week of March! 

If anyone is still waiting to hear from U .Wash Oceanography, I called again just now and it seems like they're delayed. Last time I called they had said they were going to try and get notices out today, now the same lady I talked to said they're hoping to get them out sometime this week. 

I just noticed your signature.  Which department did you apply to at CU Boulder, if you don't mind me asking?

The Ocean Sciences Meeting is next week. There is no way to expect faculty to get back to administration in a timely manner at this time of year. Our open house is the second week of March, and I know we haven't sent out formal invites, for the same reason. Just the way the timing worked this year. I understand it is frustrating not to hear back on the expected deadline, but even if everything was going smoothly timewise I think it is unrealistic to expect instant turnaround between the individual department adcoms and the dean's office. They'll be buying your ticket, so other than short notice that you need to take a three day weekend, does it really make a difference how much notice they give you--are there competing interview weekends?

Yes, it seems that a lot of departments are backed up, judging that I've only heard from two places (or that for some reason one school likes me and the others don't)

Edited by GeoDUDE!

Geographyrocks- I applied to the Geoscience department and got an email requesting a Skype interview.

Usmivka- Yes, there are competing weekends and I work full time. Not only do I have a limited number of days to take off (I can probably only visit two schools) I also need to let my work know a couple weeks in advance of when I'm going to take time off. Unfortunately some of us do have other commitments and can't just drop everything without some notice. I've also heard about interviews or acceptance from a few schools, so I definitely expect at school as good as UWashington to be able to let their candidates know in a timely manner.it seems like most of the best programs let people know pretty early, which is why I'm surprised I haven't heard back from them. I'm sure they have their reasons, though!

Geodude- couldn't agree more.. Very strange when you hear back from some schools early and then it dies down for awhile!

The Ocean Sciences Meeting is next week. There is no way to expect faculty to get back to administration in a timely manner at this time of year. Our open house is the second week of March, and I know we haven't sent out formal invites, for the same reason. Just the way the timing worked this year. I understand it is frustrating not to hear back on the expected deadline, but even if everything was going smoothly timewise I think it is unrealistic to expect instant turnaround between the individual department adcoms and the dean's office. They'll be buying your ticket, so other than short notice that you need to take a three day weekend, does it really make a difference how much notice they give you--are there competing interview weekends?

My first 2 weekends in March are booked.  if a program contacts me now about visiting on those weekends I would have to say no  I get there are other things going on, but obviously prospective students are making plans ASAP at this part in the process.  The longer the school waits, they hurt themselves along with the prospective student, IMO.

My first 2 weekends in March are booked.  if a program contacts me now about visiting on those weekends I would have to say no  I get there are other things going on, but obviously prospective students are making plans ASAP at this part in the process.  The longer the school waits, they hurt themselves along with the prospective student, IMO.

Pretty much how I feel. A lot of other oceanography departments have gotten back to people and us prospective students are going to take what we can get, when we can.

PS I love the whagisgeology tumble website