Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2014--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

I got a very nice email from my POI that I interviewed at W-Madison (in the Media and Cultural Studies concentration) that due to budgetary reasons they were only able to offer 3 people a spot this year and that he'd inform me if anything changed. So on the waitlist I go. I'm not really sure why anyone would say no to Madison, so I'm not anticipating any good news.

Meanwhile I haven't heard from any of my other applications. The only program I've applied to that hasn't sent out any notifications yet is NYU MCC, for the other ones I'm going to assume it's bad news.

I got a very nice email from my POI that I interviewed at W-Madison (in the Media and Cultural Studies concentration) that due to budgetary reasons they were only able to offer 3 people a spot this year and that he'd inform me if anything changed. So on the waitlist I go. I'm not really sure why anyone would say no to Madison, so I'm not anticipating any good news.

Meanwhile I haven't heard from any of my other applications. The only program I've applied to that hasn't sent out any notifications yet is NYU MCC, for the other ones I'm going to assume it's bad news.

So, I suppose those of us who did not get interviews should probably go ahead and consider this an automatic rejection given there are so, so few spots this year. Bummer.

But congrats to you for at least making it onto the waitlist. Fingers crossed that a spot opens up for you if that's your top choice. 

Hey all,

As a distraction from all this anxiety, I just wanted to mention that Miss Representation is on netflix instant - I've been waiting to watch it for awhile now and just realized it was streaming. Really good stuff! 

uggghhhh that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Is that just for the the MCS concentration or the whole Comm Arts department? Either way that's bad news.

So, I suppose those of us who did not get interviews should probably go ahead and consider this an automatic rejection given there are so, so few spots this year. Bummer.

But congrats to you for at least making it onto the waitlist. Fingers crossed that a spot opens up for you if that's your top choice. 

Did you also apply for the MCS concentration?

Edited by natebassett

Hey Violet, I got accepted by UNC but it was that oddly early acceptance in December ... I have to imagine they hadn't made all of their decisions by then but who knows! 

Right, I remember seeing your post early in the season. Congrats again! I wouldn't mind living in Chapel Hill myself.

Hey Fandom, I posted that. It just posted today.

Congrats! Great news to start the week ;)

Guys I have a quick question to ask. Some of the schools didn't require official transcripts in time of application, only upon acceptance. Should I go ahead and send them the transcripts now (there are 2 of them) or wait until I formally accept the offer?

I'd wait until you make a decision and only send them to that school. No need to incur any additional costs.

As far as UW, from the letter my coworker received, it sounded like they only took 3 people for the entire department. She also said that there were nearly 300 applicants. Kind of glad the wife didn't want to move to the midwest again now!

Did you also apply for the MCS concentration?

I did, so I'm fairly certain I'll be chalking this one up as a rejection. Such is life. :)

Everyone has that *one* application that they're waiting to hear the decision on-- the one they check more frequently than the others. Mine's UT Austin.

As far as UW, from the letter my coworker received, it sounded like they only took 3 people for the entire department. She also said that there were nearly 300 applicants. Kind of glad the wife didn't want to move to the midwest again now!

300 applicants? Wow. Just wow.

That certainly takes the sting out of the inevitable rejection. Thanks for passing on the info-- it's like salve to the ego.

I did, so I'm fairly certain I'll be chalking this one up as a rejection. Such is life. :)

Everyone has that *one* application that they're waiting to hear the decision on-- the one they check more frequently than the others. Mine's UT Austin.

I really wonder if those three applicants are for all of comm arts 4 concentrations or just MCS... either way my odds are probably really low with this news.

That said I think that "one" application for me is now Northwestern... I'd love to go to Seattle but it's really far away from my wife's parents for her.

Right, I remember seeing your post early in the season. Congrats again! I wouldn't mind living in Chapel Hill myself.

Congrats! Great news to start the week ;)

Guys I have a quick question to ask. Some of the schools didn't require official transcripts in time of application, only upon acceptance. Should I go ahead and send them the transcripts now (there are 2 of them) or wait until I formally accept the offer?

Thanks!! A great way to start the week, indeed! Good luck to everyone this week! I am rooting for you all! 

Hey everyone! First time poster, long time oh-gosh-what-is-new-on-the-results-survey-page-and-wait-when-did-University-X-send-out-decisions-last-year-and-what-day-of-the-week-was-that'er.

So, I'm playing the waiting game too... applied to CU Boulder's Media Studies PhD, Georgia Tech's Digital Media PhD, NYU's MCC PhD, and the University at Buffalo's Media Study PhD.

I'm in my (expected) final semester of UB's Media Study MFA, and over the past year I've decided to go for a PhD.

Until reading this thread, I hadn't seen that Boulder had announced this new college publicly, but I presented a paper at CU Boulder less than a month ago and was informed at that point about the transformations happening surrounding the Media Studies PhD. From my perspective and from what I heard from one of the Boulder professors, it's an exciting and encouraging direction that could be incredible to be involved with early in its existence, but I appreciate that some folks may be dismayed by it.

Thanks to the poster who said to expect a decision from Boulder on Thursday or Friday... that ought to settle some of my anxiety about this whole process, for a few days, at least!

Hey devwil,

I see you've applied to CU Bolder's Media Studies PhD program. But are you aware of the their upcoming Emergent Technologies and Media Arts Practices PhD program in the Media Arts Production department? Sounds more up your alley based on the fact you will have an MFA and you're applying to similar programs. I just discovered this program from the link that Austin posted. I've added the program to my list for Fall 2015.

Edited by DrF8

Thanks again, and congrats on your acceptances as well ! 

I was told the same numbers and I applied to the Rhetoric concentration ... pretty shocked right now, actually. 

Edit: Think it might be 3 for each concentration or something! 

Edited by hmas

I really wonder if those three applicants are for all of comm arts 4 concentrations or just MCS... either way my odds are probably really low with this news.

That said I think that "one" application for me is now Northwestern... I'd love to go to Seattle but it's really far away from my wife's parents for her.

Speaking of Northwestern, have you heard anything regarding your program? I've seen some interviews posted for the Screen Cultures program (to which I applied), but I've heard nothing from the school. Old posts from previous years lead me to believe there's a big interview weekend when all programs for that department conduct interviews on site.

Hey devwil,

I see you've applied to CU Bolder's Media Studies PhD program. But are you aware of the their upcoming Emergent Technologies and Media Arts Practices PhD program in the Media Arts Production department? Sounds more up your alley based on the fact you will have an MFA and you're applying to similar programs. I just discovered this program from the link that Austin posted. I've added the program to my list for Fall 2015.

Yeah, I saw that! It looks very interesting. We'll see what happens.

Speaking of Northwestern, have you heard anything regarding your program? I've seen some interviews posted for the Screen Cultures program (to which I applied), but I've heard nothing from the school. Old posts from previous years lead me to believe there's a big interview weekend when all programs for that department conduct interviews on site.

I got invited to the MTS visit and the email I received today made it seem likely that there were 3 big weekends for NW campus visits across the grad school:

Feb 13-16 / Feb 27-March 2 / March 6-9

I'm visitng the very last weekend.

I got invited to the MTS visit and the email I received today made it seem likely that there were 3 big weekends for NW campus visits across the grad school:

No invite for me, haven't heard anything. I'm going to be in Chicago for a conference for the rest of the week, I'm tempted to go check out the campus but I think I'd be a bit out of place. 

Edited by natebassett

My one application that I'm so anxious to hear back from is Brown University (Modern Culture & Media)... The program looks amazing.

Hi there. I'll be there on the last weekend as well. I just followed up with the travel agent to book my flights. I wonder if there will be larger group sessions where multiple departments will be represented.

My one application that I'm so anxious to hear back from is Brown University (Modern Culture & Media)... The program looks amazing.

Brown, much like UPenn, feels like more of a Hail Mary pass than the other applications. (Not to suggest that I think I'm a shoe-in for any program, mind you, but to say that they're both Ivy, highly selective, and attract the most competitive applicants). I'm with you-- the program just looks incredible. Even though I feel the odds are heavily weighted against me, I couldn't NOT apply. 

FYI - those of you going to the Penn State open house on Thursday: there's a major nor'easter expected to hit most of Southeastern PA (particularly Philadelphia) coming on Thursday.  Probably won't be as bad in the State College region, but just be a bit wary - especially if you have a layover in PHL. 

FYI - those of you going to the Penn State open house on Thursday: there's a major nor'easter expected to hit most of Southeastern PA (particularly Philadelphia) coming on Thursday.  Probably won't be as bad in the State College region, but just be a bit wary - especially if you have a layover in PHL. 

Thanks for the heads up!  I'll be there, but flying in Wednesday and staying with a friend.  Hope the weather cooperates, and look forward to meeting some of you there.  My friend in the program said this weekend is not really a competition, but more of an introduction/confirmation... I hope she's right!

--JL24

@hellofandom, since you've already accepted Kentucky, are you skipping the Penn State interview?

//Edit:  Sorry, I think I misread your signature as "accepted offer" not "accepted."  Anyway, will you be there this weekend?

Edited by JL24

Heard from a grad there they might not even get to meet until March to make decisions for logistical reasons. However, at least for the rhetoric department they are having some meeting on valentine's day that might deal with admissions. So maybe soon, maybe not! but at least it seems they haven't really started rather than like "were all rejected!"

@hellofandom, since you've already accepted Kentucky, are you skipping the Penn State interview?

//Edit:  Sorry, I think I misread your signature as "accepted offer" not "accepted."  Anyway, will you be there this weekend?

Yup, I'll be there!  I'm flying in Wednesday, too, but driving from Philly to State College.  Might not end up making it there until Friday if we really get a foot of snow!  

Yeah, based on the schedule, it didn't really seem like this was a "competition" weekend, which was a bit confusing to me...I imagine that perhaps those of us who aren't offered first round might get the waitlist?