SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

Yeah I think we're still too early in the game at this point. That being said, consensus is leaning towards an earlier notification than years past.

I still find it odd that while the other two Tri-Council agencies -- CIHR and NSERC -- have set dates for notifying the applicants, April 15th and April 1st respectively, SSHRC is unable to provide even an approximate date.

I ended up talking to our grad advisor. He noted that they received notification today that the MA sshrc will be a few weeks later now rather than the firm April 1st deadline. While I don't think this affects PhDs, as all MAs are internal, this might be some useful info for some MAs waiting to hear back. 

Thanks crimsoc. The release of the MA sshrc will provide a hint as to when to expect sshrc PhDs. Every bit of information that comes in makes me feel that we are almost there.

Thanks crimsoc. The release of the MA sshrc will provide a hint as to when to expect sshrc PhDs. Every bit of information that comes in makes me feel that we are almost there.

Why is that an indication for when to expect doctoral results?

I'm hoping we hear back in April. I will be out of the country for my summer research trip as of April 30th, and I'd rather open the letter myself rather than have the person subletting my apartment keep an eye out for the envelope :P

I don't think this is a valid assumption. As you probably already know, MA and PhD SSHRC adjudication processes are completely different and independent of one another. So I wouldn't think that our notifications got bushed back or forward because of MA SSHRC delays. In fact, Ph.D. SSHRCs have always heard back before MA SSHRC and this year the timing seems to have reversed, 

I don't think this is a valid assumption. As you probably already know, MA and PhD SSHRC adjudication processes are completely different and independent of one another. So I wouldn't think that our notifications got bushed back or forward because of MA SSHRC delays. In fact, Ph.D. SSHRCs have always heard back before MA SSHRC and this year the timing seems to have reversed, 

Exactly. I was merely sharing for MAs that might be lurking. This has nothing to do with doc sshrcs. 

Today I received an update from my university regarding SSHRC competition results notifications: "...SSHRC...should directly inform PhD students of their results through the mail in late April." If this statement is accurate, then the timing of notifications remains similar to previous years.

This university media release also indicates that the MA SSHRC applicants will received their results as scheduled, on April 1st.

I hope that this info helps to eliminate some of the uncertainty, although the wait remains just as long.

Today I received an update from my university regarding SSHRC competition results notifications: "...SSHRC...should directly inform PhD students of their results through the mail in late April." If this statement is accurate, then the timing of notifications remains similar to previous years.

This university media release also indicates that the MA SSHRC applicants will received their results as scheduled, on April 1st.

I hope that this info helps to eliminate some of the uncertainty, although the wait remains just as long.

MA student here... Did it say how we would receive our results? 

Today I received an update from my university regarding SSHRC competition results notifications: [font='Helvetica

Neue']"...SSHRC...should directly inform PhD students of their results through the mail in late April." If this statement is accurate, then the timing of notifications remains similar to previous years.

Thanks for sharing. I think I'll just forget about it for a few weeks. If it comes in earlier all the better. Be sure to post your results here when you hear back!

My pleasure. I'm in the capital region, so I'll be one of the first to receive my letter, and will report back immediately!

Until then, let's keep this thread alive and share any insider information we may come across :)

MA student here... Did it say how we would receive our results? 

Hey, it's all internal which means university-specific. If you go to ualberta they will be mid-late april rather than April 1. 

Hey, it's all internal which means university-specific. If you go to ualberta they will be mid-late april rather than April 1. 

Pretty sure everybody will receive their results on April 1st through the portal for the MA contest.

Is anyone else tired of having to explain SSHRC all the time?  I wish I could vent to my husband or my parents about the waiting game without having to explain, for the umpteenth time, what SSHRC is.

Is anyone else tired of having to explain SSHRC all the time?  I wish I could vent to my husband or my parents about the waiting game without having to explain, for the umpteenth time, what SSHRC is.

That's frustrating  :( My parents and my advisors are the only ones who know I've applied, and though my parents get it, they're even more anxious about the results than I am, which in turn makes me more anxious. My mom asks me every few days whether I've heard anything, even though I've told her that won't know anything until mid/late April.

Edited by Safferz

I usually say to my non-academic friends that it's 35k or 20k/year and I'm waiting to find out if I won...everyone understands money!

I am just finding about this now... How do I log in?

Nevermind. Figured out. 

I've scoured the statistics pages for past applicant success rates for my particular field, but i am curious as to find out how many from my university department specifically have received SSHRC after making it to nationals (i.e. percentage of successful out of the total)? As far as I know, from my cohort (1st year PhD), I am the only one who was bumped up (we are a small group). I don't know how many from the other cohorts have, however.

You can find out by asking your graduate assistant, because SSHRC competition stats aren't department specific. But, check out SSHRC proactive disclosure docs:

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/transparency-transparence/disclosure-divulgation/grants-subventions/2013/july_2013.pdf

By searching through it using the name of your university as a keyword, you can find out how many SSHRCs any particular university has received. Then it becomes a guessing game trying to figure out which SSHRC proposal titles in the document could be from students in your department. But then again you have to also find out how many made it to the national competition and how many applied in total.

My mom asks me every few days whether I've heard anything, even though I've told her that won't know anything until mid/late April.

Yup. Same here. Since November.  :blink: