International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

Lets turn on our pessimistic mode.

What would be your reaction upon receiving the rejection decision?  

Ok I'm at work and this post made me LOL for reals!

If I'm rejected I'm going to my favorite bakery and I'm eating 2 huge slices of chocolate cake and red velvet cake in one sitting!

I'm actually Swiss (no foreign background) and got an acceptance - reading your profiles here, I'm wondering how I deserved that :)
Hope for those still waiting that you'll get a positive surprise tomorrow!

Previous schools (name, type):
University of Bern, Switzerland

Previous degrees and grades:
Bachelor in Business Administration, Minor in Business and Civil Law (with ok grades)
started Master in Business Administration (with good grades), took some classes on Sustainable Business/Development

+ a long list of extracurricular activities

International experience (countries, reason, duration):
Business Internship in Russia, 5 months total
Erasmus Exchange Semester in Copenhagen, Denmark
Travelling, international camps

Previous work experience (duration, type):
internship in IT project management
Holiday jobs in process management in a small IT company

Math/econ background:
did college with focus on Maths and Application of Physics & had Math, Economics and Statistics classes at university

Languages (how fluent?): (using CEFR)
(Swiss) German native, English (C2), French (B1-B2), Spanish (A2-B1), Danish (A1), Russian (basic skills)

Intended field of study in grad school:
MDev, interested in connection of business and development, as well as sustainability

Long-term professional goals:
unsure yet

Schools applied to & results (funding?):
IHEID (without funding), if not admitted, I would have stayed at my university.

Ultimate decision & why:
will go to IHEID!

Any advice for future applicants?
start early preparing your things and think a few weeks about why you really want to go there.
(was my 2nd try - first time I had way less international experience and my motivation letter was very general)

I'm actually Swiss (no foreign background) and got an acceptance - reading your profiles here, I'm wondering how I deserved that :)

Hope for those still waiting that you'll get a positive surprise tomorrow!

Previous schools (name, type):

University of Bern, Switzerland

Previous degrees and grades:

Bachelor in Business Administration, Minor in Business and Civil Law (with ok grades)

started Master in Business Administration (with good grades), took some classes on Sustainable Business/Development

+ a long list of extracurricular activities

International experience (countries, reason, duration):

Business Internship in Russia, 5 months total

Erasmus Exchange Semester in Copenhagen, Denmark

Travelling, international camps

Previous work experience (duration, type):

internship in IT project management

Holiday jobs in process management in a small IT company

Math/econ background:

did college with focus on Maths and Application of Physics & had Math, Economics and Statistics classes at university

Languages (how fluent?): (using CEFR)

(Swiss) German native, English (C2), French (B1-B2), Spanish (A2-B1), Danish (A1), Russian (basic skills)

Intended field of study in grad school:

MDev, interested in connection of business and development, as well as sustainability

Long-term professional goals:

unsure yet

Schools applied to & results (funding?):

IHEID (without funding), if not admitted, I would have stayed at my university.

Ultimate decision & why:

will go to IHEID!

Any advice for future applicants?

start early preparing your things and think a few weeks about why you really want to go there.

(was my 2nd try - first time I had way less international experience and my motivation letter was very general)

This gives me hope. I think my profile would sound roughly like yours in most respects. With variations, of course, but similar enough. I'll now be even more gutted if I'm refused tomorrow, because that probably means I messed up on my motivation letter. :S

Edited by mych

Do you guys think it would be bad to email admissions to ask if we will really be notified on friday? Or will some be left over for next week?

I've been patiently waiting for 2 weeks now and I'm reaching my limit! Due to the time difference, I wake up everyday to 'under consideration' I think if i see that tomorrow I might toss my tablet against the wall, so I'd rather be prepared...

Do you guys think it would be bad to email admissions to ask if we will really be notified on friday? Or will some be left over for next week?

I've been patiently waiting for 2 weeks now and I'm reaching my limit! Due to the time difference, I wake up everyday to 'under consideration' I think if i see that tomorrow I might toss my tablet against the wall, so I'd rather be prepared...

I don't think bothering the admissions office will affect the admission committee's decision.... but who knows....

I'm so sick of waiting............................................................ :angry:

Hi guys,

I've been reading this forum for the last couple of days and it makes me unbelievably happy that other people are freaking out as well about IHEID! (of course, also incredibly anxious and frustrated we're among those who are STILL under consideration)...

My worst case scenario at the moment is being postponed to next week in terms of a decision and only coffee is what's keeping me going right now. 

Hi guys,

I've been reading this forum for the last couple of days and it makes me unbelievably happy that other people are freaking out as well about IHEID! (of course, also incredibly anxious and frustrated we're among those who are STILL under consideration)...

My worst case scenario at the moment is being postponed to next week in terms of a decision and only coffee is what's keeping me going right now. 

Welcome!

Man, you guys come up with the coolest nicknames... makes me want to start over and create a new one, HA!

Yep you are not the only out freaking out that's for sure! My worst case scenario is not even rejection... it's the waiting list! Having to wait until April means I'm taking another school's offer. I'm not going to put myself through this for another month! ¡No puedo!

Let's hope for the best. Tomorrow may be D-Day! 

We can start planning our future and look up internships at our top 1st and 2nd choices *in regards to our top choices - country*. To distract myself, I am now looking up apartments & internships in the UK. I've already given up on SciencePo.

AH! I kind of want to wake up to an email, but part of me will be staring at my computer all night.

Yes, me too. I live in CA and since Geneva is ahead, I keep hoping to wake up to an e-mail. For the past couple of weeks, I've been waking up in the middle of the night to check my e-mail to see if I got in or not. But yes, I definitely know the feeling. I really hope that they will send out everything by tomorrow. I hope that we don't get an e-mail saying that it will take another few days to get our notification --that would make my blood boil  :angry:

Grr... I have been so unproductive at work... I keep refreshing the page to see if there's just a delay in the system but alas, there's nothing yet aside from "under consideration" So tired and tense for waiting...  :unsure:  :unsure:

Yes, me too. I live in CA and since Geneva is ahead, I keep hoping to wake up to an e-mail. For the past couple of weeks, I've been waking up in the middle of the night to check my e-mail to see if I got in or not. But yes, I definitely know the feeling. I really hope that they will send out everything by tomorrow. I hope that we don't get an e-mail saying that it will take another few days to get our notification --that would make my blood boil  :angry:

Grr... I have been so unproductive at work... I keep refreshing the page to see if there's just a delay in the system but alas, there's nothing yet aside from "under consideration" So tired and tense for waiting...  :unsure:  :unsure:

I'm on the East coast of Canada, but I'm still 5 hours behind. But same! My phone is my alarm clock at school, and it's linked to my email, so whenever I wake up I check it hoping to see something. I really nervous about tomorrow - and potentially going into a third weekend with no responses from any of my applications (only applied to three programs, all 3 release early to mid March, and this year all are sticking to the 14th as a release date it seems). I would love to hear from at least one before Monday. I haven't been able to do any work at all and I have term papers that desperately need my attention. xD

Guest Chiper91

Hello everyone. I thought I was the only one checking the IHEID webpage for the results. I am still under consideration. I saw some people sharing their application info. I thought I could share mine and ask people to give me some advice for future applications because I do not think I will get into any programme this year..

Previous schools (name, type): University of Florida, top 15 public school

Previous degrees and grades: B.A. in Economics and Political Science (double major) with a cumulative GPA: 3.9,

International experience (countries, reason, duration): Born and lived in Russia for a couple of years, moved to Latvia after the Soviet Union's collapse. Lived in Latvia for 15 years. Then got admitted to an international boarding school in Norway for two years. After that went to USA for my undergraduate studies (4 years). Graduating in a month.

Previous work experience (duration, type): Assistant at a business centre in a Radisson Hotel (2 years), Intern at a commercial bank, insurance dep. (3 months)

Math/econ background: Poor math background (Survey of calc (business calc) 1 and 2; stats 1 and 2. Good econ background. Micro, macro, international macro/trade, anti trust econ.

Languages (how fluent?):  Russian, Latvian, English: Fluent, German: Intermediate (B1)

Intended field of study in grad school: Development (EU), International economics

Long-term professional goals: International organisation (IMF, World Bank, UN Development), Investment banking

Schools applied to & results (funding?): IHEID: waiting , Sarbonne: rejected, University of Antwerpen: Waitlisted, University of Lund: waiting, University of Warwick: waiting, Central European University: waiting

If anyone has time, could you please tell me what I can improve in my application in order to make it more competitive. I would appreciate any constructive feedback.

Good luck!

"Tonight, there is gonna be a fight, so if u need a place to go....." Is what keeps playing in my head, as I anxiously wait for my IHEID result !!

Good luck to all the applicants :)

Hello everyone. I thought I was the only one checking the IHEID webpage for the results. I am still under consideration. I saw some people sharing their application info. I thought I could share mine and ask people to give me some advice for future applications because I do not think I will get into any programme this year..

Previous schools (name, type): University of Florida, top 15 public schoolPrevious degrees and grades: B.A. in Economics and Political Science (double major) with a cumulative GPA: 3.9,

International experience (countries, reason, duration): Born and lived in Russia for a couple of years, moved to Latvia after the Soviet Union's collapse. Lived in Latvia for 15 years. Then got admitted to an international boarding school in Norway for two years. After that went to USA for my undergraduate studies (4 years). Graduating in a month.

Previous work experience (duration, type): Assistant at a business centre in a Radisson Hotel (2 years), Intern at a commercial bank, insurance dep. (3 months)

Math/econ background: Poor math background (Survey of calc (business calc) 1 and 2; stats 1 and 2. Good econ background. Micro, macro, international macro/trade, anti trust econ.

Languages (how fluent?): Russian, Latvian, English: Fluent, German: Intermediate (B1)

Intended field of study in grad school: Development (EU), International economicsLong-term professional goals: International organisation (IMF, World Bank, UN Development), Investment bankingSchools applied to & results (funding?): IHEID: waiting , Sarbonne: rejected, University of Antwerpen: Waitlisted, University of Lund: waiting, University of Warwick: waiting, Central European University: waiting

If anyone has time, could you please tell me what I can improve in my application in order to make it more competitive. I would appreciate any constructive feedback.

Good luck!

In my opinion, you could work on your GRE. A good GRE Score can compensate to a great extent if you say you have poor math background. Besides, I am assuming that you are a fresh undergrad, so work on ECA's. ECA's matter a lot for an undergrad student. No point comparing ourselves to people with extensive work ex, it's like comparing apples and oranges. My advice - GRE. And if You think you need more ECA's, do it.

Besides, you can try your hands at some undergrad research, emphasize a bit on final year thesis. ( You took courses in Micro, and Macro, so you don't really need to worry about a poor math background. You would have done enough applications of calculus there. After all, you don't wanna be a mathematician, but proficient in application of Maths, so your 3.9 GPA is good enough )

All the best :)

Edited by SIXX A.M.

Previous schools (name, type): University of Florida, top 15 public schoolPrevious degrees and grades: B.A. in Economics and Political Science (double major) with a cumulative GPA: 3.9,

Languages (how fluent?):  Russian, Latvian, English: Fluent, German: Intermediate (B1)

Intended field of study in grad school: Development (EU), International economicsLong-term professional goals: International organisation (IMF, World Bank, UN Development), Investment bankingSchools applied to & results (funding?): IHEID: waiting , Sarbonne: rejected, University of Antwerpen: Waitlisted, University of Lund: waiting, University of Warwick: waiting, Central European University: waiting

Good luck!

Another point, if you are looking for Masters in International Economics, you can also work on and improve your STATA/SPSS Skills. You could probably work as a RA under a professor from Macro-economics.

Oh oh .... :blink:  from a comment on the FB page:

Paola Eicher Dear Adam, we are still processing the applications. The majority will receive responses today but as we have received numerous scholarship applications we have to study them thoroughly, which will mean that we will need some more days to send out all the decisions. But be reassured, everyone will receive a message to say whether they are admitted or not next week. Fingers crossed to all of you, Paola Eicher

Oh oh .... :blink:  from a comment on the FB page:

Paola Eicher Dear Adam, we are still processing the applications. The majority will receive responses today but as we have received numerous scholarship applications we have to study them thoroughly, which will mean that we will need some more days to send out all the decisions. But be reassured, everyone will receive a message to say whether they are admitted or not next week. Fingers crossed to all of you, Paola Eicher

A delay would certainly be infuriating, but I'll take it positively. This reinforces mickun's theory that many of those left to the end are those being considered for scholarships. It's not all bleak! :)

ok finally i got an email of acceptance from IHEID said like this 

We are pleased to inform you that the Admission Committee of the Graduate Institute, Geneva has decided to offer you admission to one of our programmes in light of your excellent academic credentials. In order to learn more about this decision, we invite you to return to the online admission module (https://campus.iheid.ch/ISAP/!formInscrs.connection?ww_c_formulaire=ADM_2014_2015&ww_c_langue=en) through which you submitted your application.

If you wish to learn more about confirming our admission offer and the different enrolment steps, our admission officers will be available weekly to answer your questions on the admission and enrolment procedure, during our online information sessions for admitted students (http://graduateinstitute.ch/home/admissions/meet-us/online-information-sessions.html).

The Institute's student association has created a "Meet our Current Students" initiative, which will enable you to get in touch with current students via Facebook or Email to ask them any question you may have on student life in Geneva. http://mygisa.ch/meet-students/ 

However I check the website, and it said "refused".

I heard only the email decision is binding, I think I should send them an email :-ss