Gifts for letter writers?

loginofpscl

Hey guys, I've been thinking hard about getting my letter writers trinkets of appreciation for the ~11 letters they wrote for me. I hoped to get ideas from you guys-- Some would suggest a thank you card, but I am determined to gather ideas for a good present. I am in Chemistry, if that helps!

It depends on the letter writer for me. I think I am going to get my main adviser either some really good coffee or a Starbucks gift card (seeing as there's one right across from our building). I am going to bake one of them a pie or something good, and a coffee mug from the school I'm going to attend (we're close). I think I'll buy a coffee card for my last one (to the cafeteria coffee shop). I will be giving all of them thank you cards.

Edited by ratlab

I just said thank you in a very well-written email. I don't feel comfortable getting them anything because I know that they would not approve. Also, it would seem like I am paying them off. Of course, this may differ according to what country you are from. 

For me, I'm very close to my letter writers (or two of them :P) and have frequent conversations that aren't academic or formal at all, so I can see how one would see extra gifts as inappropriate if your relationship is strictly academic. I think it also depends when you thank them - I only plan on giving cards when everything is done and I've decided on a school. I think earlier is a little weird.

While it is part of their job - taking the time to write a quality letter isn't. Also,if you're applying to 8+ schools it becomes a bit of a few hour time sink for your writers, so I think it's only polite to at least give them a thank you card as MsD suggests.

Edited by ratlab

For me, I'm very close to my letter writers (or two of them :P) and have frequent conversations that aren't academic at all, so I can see how one would see extra gifts as inappropriate if you have little informality in your relationship. I think it also depends when you thank them - I only plan on giving cards when everything is done and I've decided on a school. I think earlier is a little weird.

While it is part of their job - taking the time to write a quality letter isn't. Also,if you're applying to 8+ schools it becomes a bit of a few hour time sink for your writers, so I think it's only polite to at least give them a thank you card.

Agreed. My relationship with mine are only academic in nature. I also have no idea what to get people aside from anything related to alcohol!

After the admissions decisions came in and I was certain I would not need to ask them to be an academic reference again, I gave my references cards and gifts (so that none of them would think I was trying to bribe them). I ordered mugs from my university, gave chocolates and gift cards (for coffee shops and I gave one restaurant gift card to someone who wrote a whole bunch of references and clearly put a lot of thought and effort into each one of them).

After being in grad school for a few months and seeing just how much work it is, I appreciate the time my profs put into my letters even more than before I started grad school. I'm glad I took the extra time and effort to express my gratitude as they clearly deserved it.

I had three letter writers. Two of them were strictly academic/professional relationships, so I only sent them handwritten thank you cards letting them know where I had decided to attend. The third I had a closer relationship with, so I sent her a Barnes and Noble gift card along with the thank you note.

I posted a topic a while back asking if it's appropriate to give some holiday gifts to my letter writers. I was told that if our relationship was such that I would have given the gifts regardless of the letters then go ahead. I feel that it's a very good rule of thumb, and so my mentor/advisor got a nice scarf (a standard holiday gift IMO) and the other two got cards wishing them happy holidays with lots of thanks.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I'm drinking buddies with my letter writers, so I think I'm gonna pick each of them up a six-pack or two of some obscure craft beer. 

I sent a gift with card to my letter writers - 3 followed up telling me they loved it; 2 no response (I sure hope they got it!)

My gift was unique to my cultural heritage for them to remember me. I mainly gave them the gift because my parents wanted to thank my letter writers also - so it was a family gift to show how much we appreciated their help.

I'll be doing handwritten thank you notes on cards from the school I'll be attending (assuming I get in to one), a gift card for one, and dinner and drinks for the other two. 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

so are you sending gifts/thank yous now or after you get in? What is protocol here? I've already sent a brief "thank you" email, but I'd like to send a card at least.

Just send a gift with a little thank you card attached Something nice and simple that you know your professor would like. I'm thinking a 6-pack of craft beer for mine. 

I did sent mine after I finished applying and the whole process was complete. I sent a follow-up on the schools (there was only 3) and then emailed again to let them know where I am going. My program was small, and the profs made it clear they wanted to know where I ended up and to keep in touch since graduates end up all over the world lol

I was thinking of giving my letter writers a thank you card with a handwritten note inside and probably a mug from the university I am going to attend (or a gift card if I don't get in anywhere). My only problem is that some of my letter writers I won't be able to see in person. Would it be weird if I mailed the gifts to their office? Do I ask for their address or take it off their academic website? I'm not exactly sure what to do .