Anthropology Results 2014

Canis

If you're waiting for a Brown decision don't wait for an email, just go online. They haven't bothered to email me yet but when I logged in there was a link to my decision letter, which was a rejection. I put my results up but I put them under Archaeology by mistake. I was just Anthro. Oh well, Brown is the color of poop, etc...

And to complete the anthro shutout, a rejection from Brown this morn. I'm curious as to others' backgrounds....do you have BAs/MAs in anthro already? I feel like being a relative "outsider" to the field (Ive taken 3 courses in my career) might have put me at a disadvantage...

And to complete the anthro shutout, a rejection from Brown this morn. I'm curious as to others' backgrounds....do you have BAs/MAs in anthro already? I feel like being a relative "outsider" to the field (Ive taken 3 courses in my career) might have put me at a disadvantage...

I have a BA and MA in anthropology, three seasons of fieldwork, one season of international lab work, six conference presentations, three publications, five years of professional museum experience and two years of volunteering at another museum. It is a TOTAL crap shoot, and Brown is very, very highly selective. Also, judging from my conversations, they are very reluctant to take on students in general because they only get one shot...so if they offer a position and the position is declined they don't get to replace that person with their next favorite. They just don't get a student that year.

I have a B.A. in an unrelated humanities field and have taken exactly one anthropology course in my academic career. Though I had a strong academic record (magna cum laude, PBK, lots of research experience in my field), needless to say, I felt like a total outsider and had mentally prepared myself for rejections across the board. Imagine my surprise when I got the happy call from Brown. My guess is it really comes down to the fit of your research interests with several members of the faculty in the department above all else. Even with that, I agree that it's a total crap shoot. Sorry to hear about your rejection, but I do think persistence seems to be the key to all of this so keep your head up!

I have a B.A. in an unrelated humanities field and have taken exactly one anthropology course in my academic career. Though I had a strong academic record (magna cum laude, PBK, lots of research experience in my field), needless to say, I felt like a total outsider and had mentally prepared myself for rejections across the board. Imagine my surprise when I got the happy call from Brown. My guess is it really comes down to the fit of your research interests with several members of the faculty in the department above all else. Even with that, I agree that it's a total crap shoot. Sorry to hear about your rejection, but I do think persistence seems to be the key to all of this so keep your head up!

What are your research interests and which faculty did you apply to work with?

I have a BA and MA in anthropology, three seasons of fieldwork, one season of international lab work, six conference presentations, three publications, five years of professional museum experience and two years of volunteering at another museum. It is a TOTAL crap shoot, and Brown is very, very highly selective. Also, judging from my conversations, they are very reluctant to take on students in general because they only get one shot...so if they offer a position and the position is declined they don't get to replace that person with their next favorite. They just don't get a student that year.

if you are getting rejected with all these qualifications then we should jump from the window.

magiaepasta, on 12 Feb 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:snapback.png

What are your research interests and which faculty did you apply to work with?

I am interested in the construction of memory and identity in Middle Eastern immigrants and refugees who live in Europe and negotiating these identities with those of the native populations. There were a number of faculty members with whom I saw shared interests, but I ended up being mostly in communication with Lina Fruzzetti, though I don't know who has been assigned as my advisor.

And... one more rejection. Brown. Losing my hope...

Don't lose hope! I don't know how many you applied to, but I hope you hear well-deserving good news soon.

Sorry about the rejections everyone else. Let's hope for some good Valentine Day's news.

Hi all, I've been lurking for awhile but I'm new to the boards and to the grad school process. Unfortunately I haven't received any good news yet this season, just two rejections. I was wondering if anyone wanted to claim the UChicago acceptance that was posted today. Did you call the dept or were you called by your POI? It's one of the remaining schools I'm stressing about.

Someone posted an acceptance to brown with the comment "Rejected!!" Was this an error or a joke? Just curious about what you all think; I didn't apply to brown anyway...

I was wondering that too. Did they reject their acceptance? :P

I was wondering that too. Did they reject their acceptance? :P

That'd be a mean thing to do specially since so many people are feeling sad about their rejections

To whomever it may concern: I know a visiting scholar at Columbia and he notified me last week that the admissions committee hadn't starting looking at applications yet. I'm assuming they started sometime last week after we talked. I personally didn't apply there but thought I'd pass along the info!

Don't lose hope! I don't know how many you applied to, but I hope you hear well-deserving good news soon.

Sorry about the rejections everyone else. Let's hope for some good Valentine Day's news.

I applied to 10 programs, and got 5 rejections. So, still 5 to go, and really hopeful about two. The other three are either long shots or not that appealing to me. So, still trying to keep my hopes up! Hope it'll go well as you said! Congrats for Michigan acceptence by the way!

To whomever it may concern: I know a visiting scholar at Columbia and he notified me last week that the admissions committee hadn't starting looking at applications yet. I'm assuming they started sometime last week after we talked. I personally didn't apply there but thought I'd pass along the info!

Thanks for the info! That's one of the schools I'm waiting on. I figured they'd be later this year because of all the snow and stuff. 

Hey, Don't Panic, in case you were wondering about UARK, I talked with my old advisor from there last week and he informed me they were going to be making decisions around the end of this week. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Oh thank you so much! I really appreciate this! was beginning to wonder.  :)