2014 Applications... waiting room.

BuddingScholar

I have to say if they've got a time machine Grad school apps are low on my list of things to see.

I'd be too worried about a Michael Crichton sort of scenario to go back in time to see things. No one likes getting stabbed.

I'd be too worried about a Michael Crichton sort of scenario to go back in time to see things. No one likes getting stabbed.

Please. If STEM folks have a time machine, don't you think they're also be able to supply us with armor that could fend off less effective weaponry? We have bullet proof vests -- I'm pretty sure I'd be safe against quite a few things. And if we get hurt, just go back to the present to fix it. The wonders of modern medicine and all that ;) 

Which does remind me of a totally cheesy show that used to be on? I think it was about people who got stranded somewhere vaguely in the past but I felt like it was in some kind of jungle and everyone lived in this tree house? I think it was The Lost World, maybe. I was really young, haha. 

Six apps down, 1 to go. :) Congrats to Loric for getting birthday wishes, though.

I have to say if they've got a time machine Grad school apps are low on my list of things to see. 

....Tacky multi-colored originals of statues in Greece and Rome, anyone? Or the Dunhuang Caves in full glory... 

The Sphinx with its nose still attached? 

I think as soon as Monday hits (when my last semester starts) I'll be too busy to stress nearly as much. I have two jobs, which should help incredibly with distractions. 

As for TV shows...I spent all of finals week re-watching Elementary and Sleepy Hollow. I also enjoy a good Kdrama, so if you like historical dramas, those might be a good place to start? I love watching TV as a distraction, although unless you speak Korean you'd probably have to pay more attention to it. (Might be a good thing?). 

...and....second to last app is due today. Totally not sure I want to apply anymore, but I guess I might as well. All the work besides submission is already done. 

oh my, yes, the multi-colored statutes are definitely on the top of my list. and maybe see van gogh in action? and i would've liked to tell him how his art would be loved by lots and lots of people for years to come.

i have a full-time job too, but it's an office job and when work is slow, i can't stop thinking about my apps and what i would do if i don't get in anywhere.

and funny you mention Kdramas because i do speak korean. i just know lots of my time will be spent on netflix from now on after work and on weekends to get my minds off things.

good luck on your second to last app! i know that weird feeling between when you finish the app and when you click 'submit'.

I got a birthday card from my admissions advisor (who is on my adcom). Weirdest thing EVER. Handwritten too.

Gah. Gah?!?!?

that is bizarre! but that's gotta be a good sign! can't imagine why he/she would send a handwritten birthday card to somebody who they know they're going to reject.

I got a birthday card from my admissions advisor (who is on my adcom). Weirdest thing EVER. Handwritten too.

Gah. Gah?!?!?

Why would anyone do that if not to guarantee that you will absolutely choose him/her when it comes time to decided which offer to accept? That's super thoughtful, and I do think that it is a VERY promising sign of upcoming good news.

I am rooting for you, Loric! Good luck!

Please. If STEM folks have a time machine, don't you think they're also be able to supply us with armor that could fend off less effective weaponry? We have bullet proof vests -- I'm pretty sure I'd be safe against quite a few things. And if we get hurt, just go back to the present to fix it. The wonders of modern medicine and all that ;)

Ah but what about changing the timeline, or dying before you make it back? All kinds of butterfly effect stuff could happen. Also, free lunches- what if Hitler gets a cellphone?

If Hitler gets his hands on technology from the 21st century, it shifts the technological timeline in his favor and his scientists could reverse engineer stuff out of it. It'd be like giving M16s to the conquistadors.

I may or may not have 1) watched too much sci fi as a kid and 2) spent too much time thinking about this.

Edited by Borden

Man, I can barely put Ikea stuff together, but Hitler already had phones, and wireless communication technology via the radio. Give him a solid Nokia and who knows what his top military minds could come up with.

Man, I can barely put Ikea stuff together, but Hitler already had phones, and wireless communication technology via the radio. Give him a solid Nokia and who knows what his top military minds could come up with.

...Everyone had radios. Still wouldn't help people solve the messages Comanche code talkers were passing. Perhaps for the best:

Comanches of the 4th Signal Company compiled a vocabulary of over 100 code terms using words or phrases in their own language. Using a substitution method similar to the Navajo, the Comanche code word for tank was "turtle", bomber was "pregnant airplane", machine gun was "sewing machine" and Adolf Hitler became "crazy white man".[6]

All that aside, I only have one more application to complete. Finally! It's already done, I just don't want to submit it until I get back to my campus. 

^ Is this last one Rochester, by any chance? They're the only one I recall as having a deadline some time in the middle of January. Very interesting program.

Nope, just a february deadline! :) It's for an MA. 

Hi all, long time lurker here, but I just completed all of my applications today! *small yay*

Dreading the wait, but sooo glad everything is in (...though I just spotted a teeny spelling error in my writing sample....which i probably should file away in a random sub-folder on my computer so that I can stop obsessing over it........)

Good luck to everyone!  :D

though I just spotted a teeny spelling error in my writing sample.

One of my letter writers just pointed out that an SOP for one school that had another school's name in it so I wouldn't worry too much!

One of my letter writers just pointed out that an SOP for one school that had another school's name in it so I wouldn't worry too much!

i totally did the same thing. submitted an SOP that had the wrong school name and all the mentions of how i wanted to attend the other school. They let me submit the right SOP later, but they said the wrong SOP would still stay in the application. oops.

I emailed the school I had the TOEFL issue with (it was because I was born outside the US...) buuut while I got a reply saying I was fine, the applicant log-in still reads my application as incomplete. Ugh. I'll check again tomorrow (I emailed 5 days ago) and then maybe bug them nicely again.  :/ 

On the bright side, a professor told me I should speak with the someone who is organizing a panel for a regional conference that will be held at my undergrad school this fall. I'm researching a part of the collection the panel is going to be on, so my work would fit right in, I would just have to fly home from where ever I end up for a weekend. She says I should present(!) and I'm very pleased. :) It would even give me something to do if I happen to strike out this round, haha. I'm glad classes started today, otherwise I might be driving myself nuts. 

So, updated over in this thread:

Anyone here who was questioning "Will they, in fact, send you a birthday card and then reject you on or just before your birthday?" Well, we will soon have an answer and it appears to be the one dreaded the most..

So, updated over in this thread:

Anyone here who was questioning "Will they, in fact, send you a birthday card and then reject you on or just before your birthday?" Well, we will soon have an answer and it appears to be the one dreaded the most..

:( Did you only apply to the one? And I've always been curious about your book, but...why would they ask you if you wrote it yourself?? Isn't it obvious...? 

:( Did you only apply to the one? And I've always been curious about your book, but...why would they ask you if you wrote it yourself?? Isn't it obvious...? 

And i submitted other writing samples.. so it's not like I was like "look - a book!" 

I even submitted a PDF of book-in-progress with much nicer graphics, format, layout, etc.. since I learned how to really use Adobe InDesign. I just.. I don't even know.

Edited by Loric

I emailed the school I had the TOEFL issue with (it was because I was born outside the US...) buuut while I got a reply saying I was fine, the applicant log-in still reads my application as incomplete. Ugh. I'll check again tomorrow (I emailed 5 days ago) and then maybe bug them nicely again.  :/ 

On the bright side, a professor told me I should speak with the someone who is organizing a panel for a regional conference that will be held at my undergrad school this fall. I'm researching a part of the collection the panel is going to be on, so my work would fit right in, I would just have to fly home from where ever I end up for a weekend. She says I should present(!) and I'm very pleased. :) It would even give me something to do if I happen to strike out this round, haha. I'm glad classes started today, otherwise I might be driving myself nuts. 

That toefl thing you're going through sounds so annoying! i was born outside the US too, but i think all my schools automatically waived TOEFL for me since i went to college in the US. None of my schools list it as an unmet requirement as far as i can tell, but same thing could happen to me.

what im going through is a couple of my schools are saying they haven't gotten my GRE score or my college transcript. I e-mailed all of them today after giving them 3-4 weeks to process the material. We'll see what they say. All the admission committees are probably getting a ton of emails right now so i don't expect the turnaround to be very quick.

I saw a couple of more art history posts on the results board. ahhhhh nerous!!