2014 Applications... waiting room.

BuddingScholar

I got a call too! but their message didn't go through and I'm at work.** :/ Had to check the # they called from but I knew it was them when I saw the area code. Sadly I don't get off work until 5 PM PST so it will have to wait until tomorrow. Scheduling interviews is going to be tricky, ahaha.

**I'm allowed to be on my tablet but not my phone, and I work the front desk so I have long stretches of time to "do homework" or refresh the forums, haha.

Well, good luck! I'm headed there early in the week. Luckily, I have a place to crash for the days leading up to it so I can prepare. Looking forward to hearing how you do.

It looks like emory, duke, UCSD etc have all started to make contact with people on their short lists?

So I'm thinking after another week or so, we'll start seeing posts about princeton, northwestern, berkeley, upenn, chicago...and the madness will slowly consume me  :unsure: 

good luck to everyone on your interviews with BGC :) 

Well, good luck! I'm headed there early in the week. Luckily, I have a place to crash for the days leading up to it so I can prepare. Looking forward to hearing how you do.

I'm already concerned about the fact that I can't just fly out. Sigh... 

It's not going to be fun asking to skype.  :unsure:

I'm already concerned about the fact that I can't just fly out. Sigh... 

It's not going to be fun asking to skype.  :unsure:

Just to clear up a few misconceptions: I know multiple people who interviewed over skype and got in with funding + stipend. I really wouldn't worry; I think they encourage people to come in person if possible. Secondly, I heard from the mouth of the dean herself that depending on their fiscal situation, 9 people out of their class of 25 get in with tuition remission + stipend of some sort. I don't think they're nearly as shady as this thread makes them out to be.

Just to clear up a few misconceptions: I know multiple people who interviewed over skype and got in with funding + stipend. I really wouldn't worry; I think they encourage people to come in person if possible. Secondly, I heard from the mouth of the dean herself that depending on their fiscal situation, 9 people out of their class of 25 get in with tuition remission + stipend of some sort. I don't think they're nearly as shady as this thread makes them out to be.

Oh I'm not saying "shady", I'm just saying unlikely for me to afford? When I went A.) They seemed really reluctant to do skyping (a "last resort") and that made me uncomfortable because it was emphasized several times and they knew explicitly I was from across the country. It made me feel bad! and B.) the Professor said around the top 5 gets their full funding and then students are tiered from there depending on funding. The administrative person I met with claimed he had absolutely no idea how it worked, which to me was likely not even true given that a professor was able to tell me exactly how it worked for merit funds. 

It felt uncomfortable, but perhaps I just did not speak with the right person. I am also, as I've said more or less elsewhere, poor. Living in NYC isn't cheap and I would have to rely on their funding. 

I'd love to get in, but I have to remember the reality of Manhattan. 

** that all said, I'm anxiously waiting for everyone else...

Edited by m-ttl

This slow trickle of acceptances on the results board is driving me absolutely crazy even though none of them are schools I've applied to.

I completely agree. I refuse to even look at the non-Art History acceptances. It's not fair everyone gets their information first!! 

All that said I finally got a response back from BGC and settled on a skype interview (I didn't feel as bad as I thought I would; perhaps that was just my anxiety). Good Luck to Poopcat! Tell me how it goes? I'm going to skype on the last day of interviews for the MA. 

Do admissions offices in the US go through the weekend? I've seen some people saying they have interviews on saturdays and sundays.

I think that might just be a school by school sort of thing... some schools might, especially because loads of us have jobs or school to be doing during the week? Those might be exceptions to the rule, but I'd imagine a lot of admit events are weekends. Interviews on the other hand...not so sure. 

relatedly: Just completed my last app for a feb. deadline. Whew. Now it's all out of my hands. 

I don't think they're shady. Seems pretty normal. And 9?! Awesome.

When doing a skype interview, do you guys wear headphones to prevent feedback?

I hadn't thought about it... my headphones all have microphones in them and I'm not sure I feel comfortable with using those. 

I think I'm going to, both for feedback and because I don't want to have eavesdroppers since I'm doing it in a spare office at work. I'm about to lose my cottonpickin mind with waiting- it's got to be some kind of psychological torture to schedule an interview 5 weeks in advance for 5 days before funding applications are due.

I think I'm going to, both for feedback and because I don't want to have eavesdroppers since I'm doing it in a spare office at work. I'm about to lose my cottonpickin mind with waiting- it's got to be some kind of psychological torture to schedule an interview 5 weeks in advance for 5 days before funding applications are due.

My university offers rooms for students wishing to conduct skype interviews, so I'm going to check one out for my skype interviews. 

...wow two Northwestern interview requests already? Who's going to claim those? iirc they're one of of the valentine's-ish decision date schools. I didn't know they interviewed at all tbh - it's never been listed before.

Edited by m-ttl

I know I got my Northwestern rejection on Valentine's Day last year while I was at CAA. I'd already figured it out but it was a good excuse to order a ridiculous quantity of pizza and veg out for the evening.